XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Looking into buy a 2003 XJR - A few Q's

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 12:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking into buy a 2003 XJR - A few Q's

Hi guys,
I'm thinking about purchasing an XJR in the near future. From my research it looks like 2003 is the year to get because the cylinder wall issue was addressed. However, was the timing chain tensioner issue fixed as well?

Are there any other problems that plague this year that I should be aware of?

Are there any parts/services that are surprisingly expensive compared to other vehicles?

When looking at them, is there anything I should specifically look for?

Sorry for all the questions but I don't want to buy one, get caught with my pants down and get nickled and dimed to death. Whatever you've got to say, I'm willing to listen!

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-20-2011, 01:01 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr_Elusive
Hi guys,
I'm thinking about purchasing an XJR in the near future. From my research it looks like 2003 is the year to get because the cylinder wall issue was addressed. However, was the timing chain tensioner issue fixed as well?

Are there any other problems that plague this year that I should be aware of?

Are there any parts/services that are surprisingly expensive compared to other vehicles?

When looking at them, is there anything I should specifically look for?

Sorry for all the questions but I don't want to buy one, get caught with my pants down and get nickled and dimed to death. Whatever you've got to say, I'm willing to listen!

Thanks in advance!
All major issues including tensioners are addressed on the 2003 MY. The 2003 MY is the best for the X308. Anything Jaguar is expensive if you have it repaired by the dealer. If you use an independent or self wrench, then it is basically the same as any other european auto.

Check out the FAQ's at the top of this forum and the top of the XK8/XKR forum for things to look for on this vehicle. The XK forum will have good information regarding the engine. Just remember that the XK upgraded the engine for MY 2003 where the XJ didn't until the X350 introduction in 2004.

Scour these forums for all threads like this, as there have been several in the past several months. You will find a wealth of information, then be patient in your search. These are quite rare when you compare them to other European or American makes so you may have to look for a while to find the right one. I also recommend looking nationally and being willing to travel to get your vehicle. The cost to fly somewhere and drive it home can be minimal and can help you find the best overall vehicle.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:01 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

One thing that astounded me was the cost of brake parts on the R1-optioned models. I was also surprised with BAD fuel mileage from moderate driving (not a model year specific issue). Like Midlife said, if you self-wrench on your 03, you can get by rather cheaply on maintenance.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I definitely plan on waiting and looking nationally. I don't want to rush into this and get screwed. I also plan on self wrenching, I was just concerned that the price of certain parts that would make my eyes pop out of my head. I'll be sure to stay away from the R1 models. I don't need Brembo brakes, I'll just press harder.

One more question... Is there anything that MUST be fixed by a Jaguar tech due to special tools or computers?

Old 05-24-2011, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 416 Likes on 308 Posts

That is a good question. A lot of people would be asking what they did NOT need a Jag tech, special tools or a computer to fix. That's the spirit. People see me working on my car and wonder what I'm doing since they think there is nothing DIY anymore. It definitely is necessary to have a OBDII scanner though. The only thing I can think of right off is the key transponder programming - programming a new key for the car - that cost me $100 from the dealer because all I got was a valet key when I bought it. I had to buy a remote key fob, but that can be programmed DIY. To read transmission codes and body processor codes, you need a very expensive scanner, but most folks can live with that.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a PPI done!

Old 05-25-2011, 04:34 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Vacuum leaks are almost impossible to find if you self-wrench. Better Indy shops have smoke inducing machines designed to find leaks.