XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Loose bumper fix - what's needed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 02:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loose bumper fix - what's needed?

Hi all

Long time no see due to family and my coursework taking all my time. Word of advice - if you think of doing a master's degree really consider what it means for your spare time!

I have the loose and sagging rear bumper and whilst I understand I need two new square cone bumper mounts I was wondering what else I need to complete the fix like do I need bolts, nuts and additional spacers etc?

A secondary question is can I get away with putting something on the bottom of the corroded bolt to just hold it up as a temporary ghetto fix.

A bonus question is will the bumper fall off or can I keep driving it?

Thanks

Joe

Old 04-08-2016, 03:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

joe:
Not to be mean, but a guy getting a masters degree should realize that even though there are some common problems associated with the bumpers, every case is different and none of us can look and see what condition your mounts are in EXCEPT YOU!

Assuming the common bolt corrosion problem is afflicting your car to the point that the bumper is hanging, then yes, the bumper could fall off depending on which part of the bolt fails. If the mounting hole is corroding away, it will fall off, left alone.

In any case, the bumper's crash absorption function is compromised to some extent by any corrosion and by whatever non standard fix you attempt. Maybe you should tear into it and figure out some way to make it contribute to your thesis!

Old 04-08-2016, 03:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
joe:
Not to be mean, but a guy getting a masters degree should realize that even though there are some common problems associated with the bumpers, every case is different and none of us can look and see what condition your mounts are in EXCEPT YOU!

Assuming the common bolt corrosion problem is afflicting your car to the point that the bumper is hanging, then yes, the bumper could fall off depending on which part of the bolt fails. If the mounting hole is corroding away, it will fall off, left alone.

In any case, the bumper's crash absorption function is compromised to some extent by any corrosion and by whatever non standard fix you attempt. Maybe you should tear into it and figure out some way to make it contribute to your thesis!
Hehe point taken thanks. It is the standard bolt and spacer corrosion. The mounts look ok to me but most posts indicate replacing the mounts. I will post up some pics later when I get home.

Old 04-08-2016, 04:59 AM
GGG
Received 16,861 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Joe,

A UK spec vehicle so you don't have energy absorbing mounts.

Will it fall off? Almost certainly if you don't do something about it.

Does that mean it will be easy to dismantle? Almost certainly NOT. The bolt and spacer can often be almost welded to the bracket with corrosion. Fortunately the brackets are a fibreglass moulding which can be cut quite easily to avoid damaging the bumper

The Parts Catalogue drawing is better than the Workshop Manual for showing the general arrangement:

Loose bumper fix - what's needed?-x308-rear-bumper.jpg
(click on the image to enlarge it)

Use plenty of Coppaslip on reassembly.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
sparkenzap (04-08-2016)