XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Lost Audible Direction Signal Tic

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 12:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Lost Audible Direction Signal Tic

Audible click has disappeared although blinking lamps on dash panel and exterior lamps work fine. Have 2000 XJ8L but doubt that this feature is exclusive to XJ8 series. Cannot find info or electrical diagram in JTIS. Anyone out there can give me a clue about problem?

Lew in Sewanee

Old 10-12-2009, 03:17 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,923 Likes on 3,223 Posts

Lew, the click that you are used to hearing is electrically generated. The body processor module feeds power to a speaker to make the click that you are hearing. To confirm it is a speaker issue, start the car and buckle the seat belt in the driver's seat. Once the Belt Minder light goes out, unbuckle the seat belt and see if the chime goes off then. It should sound as the light flashes on the dash. if no sound, then that confirms a bad speaker. If it does sound, then there is a communications error inside the car. Let me know and we can go from there.

To replace the speaker, it is located somewhere inside the steering column. Unfortunately, that is about as near as I can narrow it down. Shouldn't be that hard to figure out and I am sure someone else has had to replace this (or atleast has seen it). Unfortunately, the speaker will more than likely have to be bought at the dealership as this will be fairly specific to the car. You may be able to get something aftermarket, but make sure you get all the correct specs for that speaker. In a lot of cases, the specs are written on the speaker back (center of the magnet in most cases).

Hope this helps.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:04 PM

No light nor chime from seat belt minder whether seat belt is fastened or not. Audible click from turn signal was erratic before it disappeared entirely. Must be the infamous Jag electrical gremlin. Thanks in advance for your help to find this gremlin.

Lew in Sewanee

Old 10-12-2009, 07:11 PM
Veteran member

Dozier, I would still go after the speaker. Of the parts involved, that is the most likely thing to fail. What I would say to do just to verify a bad part, access the speaker and do a continuity check across the 2 terminals of the speaker. Should get something in the neighborhood of 8 ohms. Anything over say 20 ohms will indicate a bad speaker. Odds are, if it is bad, you are going to get something over 2,000 ohms. You can also verify that the wiring is good by putting your multimeter across the two wires still attached to the car and put on the turn signal. When the lights flash on the dash, you should see a matching jump in voltage on the multimeter (set to VDC). Hopefully it is something easy to fix.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:35 PM

Will do tomorrow in the daylight and report back. Thanks for prompt and continued help.

Lew in Sewanee

Old 10-12-2009, 09:05 PM

Spent a long while searching JTIS and finally got a hit searching on "speaker." Found "Combined Windshield Wiper/Washer Switch and Audible Warning Speaker 86.65.42" in Technical Service Publications. After reading detailed and rather complete instructions I have decided that a trip to the dealer is in order since access to speaker involves disabling battery, steering wheel and airbag removal, and other cautions -- far more than this amateur needs to undertake. I'll wait for something far more serious since lamps are working fine and there is not a safety issue -- I just miss a very nice feature.

Thanks to all.

Lew in Sewanee

Old 10-13-2009, 06:15 PM
Veteran member

Dozier, well, that blows the big one. PUlling out the air bag isn't that bad. The big thing is making sure you disconnect the battery and let the car set a few minutes before playing with the air bag. After that, the rest is pretty straight forward. PUlling the steering wheel can be a pita if you don't have a steering wheel puller. Granted, I would have to agree though, if you don't have all the tools, might as well smile and wait for a time the car has to go into the dealership anyways.