XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Lost Key and Fob!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 03:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost Key and Fob!!!

I am now in a PANIC!! My husband...thank goodness not me...lost the only key and fob that we had to HRH! The local Jaquar dealership...a huge dealership...has billed 4 hours trying to get key and transponder that will work properly!!! They appear to be at a loss!! If they don'tknow what to do...how am I to know??? Any help at all would be most appreciated! Thank you!

Old 10-23-2013, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 148 Posts

Sorry to hear about your situation, but it seems to me that the dealership is the problem at this point. They should be able to cut and program the key (the dealer has to do this part), and then the FOB can be programmed by you. Have them cut the key, program it so now your car will start and then run like hell in the other direction. I'd be very hard-pressed to pay them for the 4 hours they've already spent on the issue. This is NOT rocket science. Shame on them!

The following users liked this post:
1998 xjr toy (10-23-2013)
Old 10-23-2013, 05:39 PM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Its a 1 hr charge, but being that its a 98. Early xj keys and fobs have issue with programming. Dont know if vendor or what. But we do not cut keys till we are sure itll program to car. But you do need a key that will turn in the igntion. You wrap this with foil so the reader wont read it during programming and you hold the uncut key alongside the cut one and if it programs. Then you cut the key. Otherwise grab another. This is a vender to jaguar issue imo and is not a dealer issue. But not for 4 hours. 1 hour

The following 2 users liked this post by Brutal:
1998 xjr toy (10-23-2013), bigcat777 (10-23-2013)
Old 10-23-2013, 05:45 PM

Thank you so much. so this is exactly what they have told my husband. At the beginning it would cost $400 for a key, no fob plus $275 for programming. Upon reaching two hours, they called back to ask for two additional hours to figure the problem out. My husband agreed to that. Following that alotment of time, they called back and said if we aren't in a hurry, they will work on it in their free time. Quote, they can't locate the problem. I am no expert...but I almost wonder if they put it in valet mode or something. I never have had a problem starting the car...assuming I had a key. Is there any other way to have this done? I am beside myself that the experts can't get a key after having the car for two days.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:48 PM

Hhhmmm...this is interesting to hear. I am taking this info to husband right now. Thank you! I greatly appreciate this information.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:25 PM
Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

You can get a key fob on ebay for $10-$40. LJA2610AA 315 Mhz is the one for my 98 XJ8. I would guess yours is the same part number. You can program that yourself. Once you get it working, be sure to get a spare. My dealer charged me $150 for a key. Sorry for the problems.

The following 2 users liked this post by Lear45:
1998 xjr toy (10-23-2013), bigcat777 (10-28-2013)
Old 10-23-2013, 06:34 PM

Tell them to do immobilization if they havent. If they tried programming and turned ignition on and it didnt program it could have gone into immobilization(thinks it tried to be stolen). But otherwise just refer to my first post. This is a issue and i hate dealeing with it. Issues like this and it is useally the tech that has to absorb losses like this in unpaid time for issues out of our control. Although sounds like to me that theyre trying to have you pay for a issue that is a part problem and not a car problem

The following 3 users liked this post by Brutal:
1998 xjr toy (10-23-2013), bigcat777 (10-28-2013), OldMike (10-23-2013)
Old 10-23-2013, 10:58 PM

Thank you for all of the information.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:00 PM

Thank you! I will try this tomorrow!

Old 10-23-2013, 11:21 PM

I just found these just now on ebay...Pair of JAGUAR 4 Button Keyless Entry Remote Fob Keys OEM LJA2610AA K8597T315
Is this what I need?

Old 10-24-2013, 08:42 PM
Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

The part number is LJA2610AA
The other number is the FCC ID number.
That matched the key FOB of my 1998 XJ8. I think it is the same.
You will have to program it when you get it.
Replace the old batteries first!

Alarm Remote Manual Programming XJ X308

: Insert key into ignition
: Pull the headlamp stalk towards the steering wheel.
: Whilst holding the headlight stalk in the position above, turn the ignition to auxiliary.
: With Ign in Aux, flash the headlights 5 times, an audible confirmation should be heard.
: Press any button on the remote/s to be programmed.
: After confirmation of the remotes programmed – switch off the ignition.

When carrying out the above process, please ensure that no other vehicles within a 50 metre radius, are undergoing the same programming procedure, this could affect the programming operation.

Have them make a spare key once they have it figured out. Good luck!

The following 2 users liked this post by Lear45:
bigcat777 (10-28-2013), Nicdilla (12-14-2013)
Old 10-26-2013, 12:19 PM
Received 8,131 Likes on 4,906 Posts

Keyfob transmitters.

The LJA ones are for the early X308 and the LJE is for the later X308.

The LJE will NOT work for your 1998.

bob gauff

Old 10-27-2013, 07:29 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Hello,

This is a related question: A local Jaguar dealer in north Houston (Jaguar North) "lost" one of my valet keys, which I'm very certain was on my key-ring together with my master key and remote when I recently left my keys with them (I don't recommend this incompetent and dishonest dealership to anyone--I visited only because they are near to my work and because I needed a written opinion from a dealership regarding a technical matter; incidentally, this is the same dealership who once, after doing an alignment, delivered my car with the steering wheel facing 3 PM to drive straight even though I delivered it to them with the steering wheel facing 12 PM to drive straight--when I complained, they made me wait 4.5 hours to make the necessary adjustment so I could be on my way).

Back to the key: "Losing" my valet key was a lesson to me never to give the dealership (or any other service facility, for that matter) anything more than the master key when I leave the car for service. That dealership wanted $300 from me to replace the valet key they had lost, claiming that I had no proof that the key was on my key-ring when I left the car (how do you win that argument?).

Anyway, does anyone know how I can go about replacing my valet key for a more reasonable fee? I was able to locate my second valet key (a spare that came with the vehicle), so can I just have that duplicated or is it more involved than that? I would prefer to avoid dealerships but, if that's the only way, I will wait until I visit another city and find a dealership there...

My car is the XJR 2000 model.

Thank you,
Jon500

Old 10-28-2013, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Jon500
Hello,

This is a related question: A local Jaguar dealer in north Houston (Jaguar North) "lost" one of my valet keys, which I'm very certain was on my key-ring together with my master key and remote when I recently left my keys with them (I don't recommend this incompetent and dishonest dealership to anyone--I visited only because they are near to my work and because I needed a written opinion from a dealership regarding a technical matter; incidentally, this is the same dealership who once, after doing an alignment, delivered my car with the steering wheel facing 3 PM to drive straight even though I delivered it to them with the steering wheel facing 12 PM to drive straight--when I complained, they made me wait 4.5 hours to make the necessary adjustment so I could be on my way).

Back to the key: "Losing" my valet key was a lesson to me never to give the dealership (or any other service facility, for that matter) anything more than the master key when I leave the car for service. That dealership wanted $300 from me to replace the valet key they had lost, claiming that I had no proof that the key was on my key-ring when I left the car (how do you win that argument?).

Anyway, does anyone know how I can go about replacing my valet key for a more reasonable fee? I was able to locate my second valet key (a spare that came with the vehicle), so can I just have that duplicated or is it more involved than that? I would prefer to avoid dealerships but, if that's the only way, I will wait until I visit another city and find a dealership there...

My car is the XJR 2000 model.

Thank you,
Jon500
originally from Jaguar the cars come with 2 masters and 1 valet. Why do you need 2? I wouldnt worry about it and move on. But there is 1 good Jag dealer in SW Houston

Old 10-28-2013, 09:08 AM
Received 6,319 Likes on 5,506 Posts

I agree with Brutal, I've never seen the need for one valet key never mind two.
It shouldn't have been lost just the same.

Old 10-29-2013, 04:53 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

@Brutal: I don't "need" two, but it certainly was convenient because the car is driven by two different people at different times... The car came with two sets, each containing a master key, a valet key, and a remote button pad. Is that unusual for an 2000 XJR? Maybe that was something a dealership did for us when we purchased...? For years, we each had a valet key on our respective key-chains. We habitually put the car in Valet Mode and give the valet key when parking in lots that require that you leave a key--this happens quite often when the car is in Houston or Dallas. (I have met many Jaguar drivers over the years who don't know what Valet Mode is, so perhaps these also are the people who never use the valet key or who stow nothing of value in their trunk or glove compartment.)

@Norri: I don't and won't ever have the car serviced at any dealership anymore unless that's my only remaining option--and I would gladly drive a couple hundred miles or even have the car flat-bedded if necessary to avoid Houston-area dealerships. My experience over the years and thousands of dollars later is that they don't understand this car, they have zero troubleshooting skills, and in my experience, they generally seem to have a level of disdain for customers who, like me, tend to be more technical/inquisitive while also penny-wise and cautious. Yet I recommend anyone with a new Jaguar and/or one that's under factory warranty to enjoy and liberally use the warranty service as often and as much as possible--working out all kinks before the warranty period ends--it's the only time during the life of the car when you're going to enjoy going to the dealership--and use that time to identify a good, local independent shop that fixes high-end automobiles and (preferably) has experience with Jaguar models like the one you drive. It's often helpful to find a Jaguar owner who drives your model car and get a recommendation from him/her--so ask every Jaguar driver you meet in order to get a consensus. It took me years to find the right technician (honest and smart and communicative--a rare combination) at the right shop (a facility that's relatively close to where I live and that has people who actually come to the phone)--sadly, I wasted countless hours and dollars with dealerships who way too often misdiagnosed issues or made unnecessary repairs or offered entirely unnecessary "maintenance". (I still can't figure out if they do that out of ignorance or if they're just really rotten people: surely, Jaguar owners are not the only drivers who have to deal with bad techs and incompetent dealerships.)

Most recently, that same North Houston Jaguar dealership told me I "needed" a new ABS module and that's why my ABS warning light came on when hitting a bump in a road. I declined and learned a week later that the root cause were dirty wheel-speed sensors (an NTB technician cleaned them for me at no charge while replacing brake pads--no ABS warning lights since). And, years ago, I had received a "restricted performance" indication and the North Jaguar dealership, after 8 visits during which they did nothing other than charge me for "diagnostics", finally insisted that I needed a new ECM at $2750 for the part and another few hundred for labor. They said that a malfunction in the ECM was causing the restricted performance message to appear. I personally found no evidence for an ECM failure that would product such a specific false-positive so I was very doubtful that this was indeed the solution. They even charged me for that advice, and I dutifully paid the bill. I then sought other opinions. It turned out to be a loose vacuum hose to my fuel-pressure regulator--a non-dealership tech found that in 10 minutes and charged me $25. I've not seem the "restricted performance" indicator since that fix was made.

As with many things in life, I'm certain there are people who have had positive experiences with Jaguar dealerships but I have never met any who drive a vehicle that's out of warranty.

That North dealership also owns Momentum Jaguar in "south" Houston, so if that's the dealership Brutal says is in SW Houston, I won't let them touch my car either.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 148 Posts

My car came with one key and one fob, would love to have another set (key and valet key with fob) but after reading this thread I think I'll just deal with having one key!

Re dealerships -- I posted about my mother in law who was charged $200 by the dealership to replace the battery in her fob and it still doesn't work! They covered their rears by saying the charge was for diagnostic work unrelated to the key fob and gave her a $10,000 repair estimate for virtually everything suspension related and then some -- all because she made the mistake of going there to get a new battery for her key! Thankfully, she declined to have the suspension work done! My opinion is this -- if you can find an honest and reliable dealership, that's great! If not, don't go back, you'll just get more of the same!

Old 10-29-2013, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Jon500
@Brutal: I don't "need" two, but it certainly was convenient because the car is driven by two different people at different times... The car came with two sets, each containing a master key, a valet key, and a remote button pad. Is that unusual for an 2000 XJR? Maybe that was something a dealership did for us when we purchased...? For years, we each had a valet key on our respective key-chains. We habitually put the car in Valet Mode and give the valet key when parking in lots that require that you leave a key--this happens quite often when the car is in Houston or Dallas. (I have met many Jaguar drivers over the years who don't know what Valet Mode is, so perhaps these also are the people who never use the valet key or who stow nothing of value in their trunk or glove compartment.)

@Norri: I don't and won't ever have the car serviced at any dealership anymore unless that's my only remaining option--and I would gladly drive a couple hundred miles or even have the car flat-bedded if necessary to avoid Houston-area dealerships. My experience over the years and thousands of dollars later is that they don't understand this car, they have zero troubleshooting skills, and in my experience, they generally seem to have a level of disdain for customers who, like me, tend to be more technical/inquisitive while also penny-wise and cautious. Yet I recommend anyone with a new Jaguar and/or one that's under factory warranty to enjoy and liberally use the warranty service as often and as much as possible--working out all kinks before the warranty period ends--it's the only time during the life of the car when you're going to enjoy going to the dealership--and use that time to identify a good, local independent shop that fixes high-end automobiles and (preferably) has experience with Jaguar models like the one you drive. It's often helpful to find a Jaguar owner who drives your model car and get a recommendation from him/her--so ask every Jaguar driver you meet in order to get a consensus. It took me years to find the right technician (honest and smart and communicative--a rare combination) at the right shop (a facility that's relatively close to where I live and that has people who actually come to the phone)--sadly, I wasted countless hours and dollars with dealerships who way too often misdiagnosed issues or made unnecessary repairs or offered entirely unnecessary "maintenance". (I still can't figure out if they do that out of ignorance or if they're just really rotten people: surely, Jaguar owners are not the only drivers who have to deal with bad techs and incompetent dealerships.)

Most recently, that same North Houston Jaguar dealership told me I "needed" a new ABS module and that's why my ABS warning light came on when hitting a bump in a road. I declined and learned a week later that the root cause were dirty wheel-speed sensors (an NTB technician cleaned them for me at no charge while replacing brake pads--no ABS warning lights since). And, years ago, I had received a "restricted performance" indication and the North Jaguar dealership, after 8 visits during which they did nothing other than charge me for "diagnostics", finally insisted that I needed a new ECM at $2750 for the part and another few hundred for labor. They said that a malfunction in the ECM was causing the restricted performance message to appear. I personally found no evidence for an ECM failure that would product such a specific false-positive so I was very doubtful that this was indeed the solution. They even charged me for that advice, and I dutifully paid the bill. I then sought other opinions. It turned out to be a loose vacuum hose to my fuel-pressure regulator--a non-dealership tech found that in 10 minutes and charged me $25. I've not seem the "restricted performance" indicator since that fix was made.

As with many things in life, I'm certain there are people who have had positive experiences with Jaguar dealerships but I have never met any who drive a vehicle that's out of warranty.

That North dealership also owns Momentum Jaguar in "south" Houston, so if that's the dealership Brutal says is in SW Houston, I won't let them touch my car either.
Wow, thats a really broad brush you paint with. And by saying THEM I assume you also meen ME as you can always request whomever you want to work with as many do.
Yes I do work at Momentum SW and yes all 3 Jag dealers are owned by Sonic automotive. I can count many of issues caused and misdiagnosed by many indie shops myself and dealers as well. and shops that bring cars here because they cant diagnose the problem. and then they just tac their fees onto ours. Leaving the customer wonding how much it would have cost if they WENT TO THE DEALER! (less than that charge)
My level of service is far from what you have experianced up North and have a phone with a couple hundred customer numbers and they have mine. both in and out of warranty. And many have purchased multiple Jags because of this as Ive been told many times over the years. I have come here and offer FREE advise and info that cost ME money helping thousands I'll never see or meet, then again many I have and people who drive here from other cities too.
But that's your choice and your money, call Mike Davis at michaels european or Tomball auto what ever he goes by now. He's good and takes alot of work from Houston North 281-586-7700
CHEERS

Last edited by Brutal; 10-29-2013 at 11:16 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Brutal:
bigcat777 (11-05-2013), Norri (10-29-2013), XJRChad (10-29-2013)
Old 10-29-2013, 11:36 AM
Received 6,319 Likes on 5,506 Posts

Why not tell us what you really think Jon?

Here's a thought, why not take the valet key that you managed to locate on your wife's key ring, keep it with the other valuables in your glove compartment and when either you or your wife feel the need to use a valet just hand it over.
Problem solved and $300 saved.

The following users liked this post:
Brutal (10-29-2013)
Old 10-29-2013, 11:40 AM
Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

I live in an area without any Jaguar dealerships nearby, and let me tell you, I wish there was one. The independent technician that I normally use is very good, but doesn't know the first thing about Jags. If I could bring it to the dealer, I would.

My experience working at Toyota, Saturn, and Jaguar dealers tells me that many dealer service departments are competent and honest. Granted, it may cost more, but you get what you pay for. I would much rather have someone like Brutal, who works on Jags every day, wrench on my Jag than an independent shop. Unless the independent shop specializes in Jags, of course.

That being said, 4 hours to program a key is not right.

Last edited by XJRChad; 10-29-2013 at 11:45 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by XJRChad:
bigcat777 (11-14-2013), Brutal (10-29-2013)

Quick Reply: Lost Key and Fob!!!