XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Lost troubleshooting electrical on 02 xj sport

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 02:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lost troubleshooting electrical on 02 xj sport

Ok on my 02 sport a few months back the dashlights stopped working. Well sort of. I looked at some threads suggesting a short in headlight switch. I tried to test moving steering wheel up and down and never had the dash lights come on. Now this applied to when the switch is in any position on/auto ect EXCEPT when I turn off the head light switch the dashlights come on nice and bright. Roll it back to on or auto they go off and odometer display dims. I checked every fuse I could find and all were good i tested each with a meter in the rear seat fuse panel and under the hood. I am lost to what it may be. No big deal in the day but night i cannot see the gauges. Any suggestions appreciated.

Old 05-17-2017, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,319 Likes on 1,004 Posts

There is a dimmer switch located on the left side of the steering column ahead of the turn signal stalk. Make sure it is dialed full on.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:28 PM

It is indeed full on still same issue

Old 05-17-2017, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 374 Posts

I don't remember what the car does if the backlight brightness adjuster is disconnected - if that kills the backlighting, then you could try undoing the connector and jumping whichever pins control brightness and seeing if that helps. Or if you have cheap parts nearby, swapping the brightness adjustment knob.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:52 PM
Received 317 Likes on 243 Posts

There are quite a few connections inside the main headlight switch, and I've had several break away at the solder joint. May need to take the main headlight switch out, or take the trim directly behind the steering wheel off to gain access. You should be able to see if any wires have broken away, and just solder them back. If you don't find anything there, then you'll have to keep looking. Try check the headlight switch first and let us know what you find.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:01 AM

Thank you gentlemen. I am in real estate but turned wrenches in the past. I will report back may be a few days but this is getting me in the right direction....
Thank You In Advance.....
I am about to give this car to my son and track down a newer model but its imperative I get the dashlights sorted for safe night time driving for him...