XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

A lot done last week, still more to go.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 12:58 PM
Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
Default A lot done last week, still more to go.

Well, last week under the XJR turned out to be good. I replaced all the fronts ball joints, tie rods and sway bar links, replaced the exhaust (stock) and did a wheel alignment.

The bad, the wheel alignment is off, can tell by the ride and the steering wheel, I think I picked the XJ8, instead of the XJR on my machine. Couldn't replace the upper rear shock bushing mount donut thingy. I would have to destroy the lower shock mount to get the bolt out, which I didn't have.

With the exhaust fixed, I am not use to the quietness when accelerating, I now know for sure I can't hear my supercharge whine. It is no where as noticeable, like the XJR on the race track youtube video that was posted. I know the belt is somewhat loose, I was able to turn the SC'er when I was doing something awhile ago. Going to check the tensioner marking to see if the pulley marker is on the change belt mark (thanks to the service manual).

I might have a bent rim, tire out of balance or a bad tire, I have a very strong vibration at 53, 74 and 95MPH. At very slow speeds, around 5 to 10MPH, I can see/fell the car wobble from the driver side. Going to the wheel/tire balance place afterwork today to verify.

Did a engine flush, oil came out blacker than black, no lumps, which is good. Going to drop the oil pan once the gasket comes in, to check and clean the pickup screen and pan.

All in all, the XJR rides nice and steady, minus the vibrations at certain speeds and have to get use to the quietness.

Thanks, for reading.
SGB