XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Lowering Spring Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 05:28 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lowering Spring Question

Hi all,

SO I have a question. First let me start off with why the question. I am the second of owner of the vehicle (1998 XJR) and had always wondered why the back looks so tucked in under the rear quarter panel fender. I noticed that the tires are worn out more in the rear as well. I did some work on the car but never paid attention to the springs until just the other day. I noticed that the back springs are after market springs and the fronts are stock. Possibly, of the previous owner's taste of liking, he must have lowered the back with a lower set of spring. That probably explains why it is so tucked in and seems to wear off faster the back tires.

My question is: Can I take the back springs and swap it out with the fronts, putting the ones currently in the front to the back and vise versa?

Reason why I want to do this (if it fits without a problem): I am looking at putting on some spacers in the back. But to do this, I can't as of current, because my back tires are tucked in (not by alot, but it is tucked). and with the 19" I have one, the spacers will probably make it rub.

Please help guide me with you experience. Thanks much in advance

Old 10-05-2013, 11:17 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by devxiav
Hi all,

SO I have a question. First let me start off with why the question. I am the second of owner of the vehicle (1998 XJR) and had always wondered why the back looks so tucked in under the rear quarter panel fender. I noticed that the tires are worn out more in the rear as well. I did some work on the car but never paid attention to the springs until just the other day. I noticed that the back springs are after market springs and the fronts are stock. Possibly, of the previous owner's taste of liking, he must have lowered the back with a lower set of spring. That probably explains why it is so tucked in and seems to wear off faster the back tires.

My question is: Can I take the back springs and swap it out with the fronts, putting the ones currently in the front to the back and vise versa?

Reason why I want to do this (if it fits without a problem): I am looking at putting on some spacers in the back. But to do this, I can't as of current, because my back tires are tucked in (not by alot, but it is tucked). and with the 19" I have one, the spacers will probably make it rub.

Please help guide me with you experience. Thanks much in advance
I'd say that the reason the rear tyres wear faster is because it's rear wheel drive, on front drive cars the fonts wear faster....so long as the lowering and geometry is correct and well executed, and you have an even wear pattern, ie not more outer or inner edge wear than usual, it's all good and explained by rear wheel drive.....I don't know that the springs are interchangeable - I very much doubt it - Spring length, spring rates and spring diameter and wire coil thickness will all be very different...different corner/axle weight requirements.......Allan

The following users liked this post:
devxiav (10-07-2013)
Old 10-07-2013, 10:15 AM
Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

The springs do not interchange front to rear. So your best bet is probably to find a good set of stock rears and put them in, or just get a complete set of different aftermarket springs and put them in all 4 corners if you want it lowered properly. Another thing to do about the wear issue is cheack your alignment. If your rear wheels have too much toe in or toe out the rear tires will wear faster.

devxiav (10-07-2013)
Old 10-07-2013, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 896 Likes on 734 Posts

I don't understand "tucked in." But if the ride height is correct, get an accurate four wheel alignment and you issue is probably solved. May need new rear tires, tho.

devxiav (10-07-2013)
Old 10-07-2013, 12:00 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks guys for the help. Really appreciate it.