XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

LQ4 V8 6.0L Garrett GT3788VA Going in soon

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 11:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post LQ4 V8 6.0L Garrett GT3788VA Going in soon

Hello I'm fairly new to the forum, I recently bought a clean 98 xj8 base, it wasn't running so I got it cheap, turned out to be a easy fix, car runs great now, however, since then I have been planning a power upgrade, because I want something like a short wb xjr. So far I have bought the motor and turbo, now I'm working on the top end of the motor to prepare it for the 88mm turbo I have so far planned out the seating of the turbo which will be located where the factory air cleaner is, still measure tweaking with ideas on where/which inter cooler..also I have been looking through the GM 6 speed auto's, still researching ideas on which transmission will achieve my goals, which are a street able high 500's- mid 600's HP, still a lot of work a head and I'm working on pictures may take a bit I work all the time and am currently working on my other car, so a bit busy right now. Also I plan to use the jaguarspecialties motor mount etc. kit, it should work for a LQ4, need to check on that soon, but the kit separates the chassis from the motor so every thing works the same, with the new engine in. Just a heads up on pictures to come.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:30 AM
Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

Cool Project!

Why an LQ4 thou?

Old 05-15-2012, 09:19 AM

Good question I chose the LQ4 because it has a compression ratio of 9.4:1 and a pretty durable stock bottom end, so all I'm modifying with the LQ4 is just the top end. It's just easier, still an LS-series engine technology just normally for trucks stock it has 300hp/224kW and 360tq/488Nm, cast iron block very durable time tested / proven engine, plus parts are really easy to find for this motor cheap too. If you want more info do a google.com search "LQ4 turbo" some other people have had great results, lots of videos too. I also got the LQ4 block with 20xxx miles/ 32xxx km for cheap as dirt.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 943 Posts

thats a great project!

i have a Buick with an LQ4 in it and 4L80E trans,, there is a 6spd trans available for them from TCI,, also GM has a 6spd autom. but really new, so probably expensive.

my car is a great car to drive, does all i need to,, a T88 on an LQ4 would be over my head in power, i'd be sliding all over the street, just trying to go straight!! hehe.

ron

Old 05-15-2012, 01:09 PM

Lol yea still getting quotes etc, but with a good re-flash should be able to have it so in non-sport I just squeak the tires, and in sport all hell just breaks loose, still researching on what my options are, im a fan of keeping my cars looking/behaving like OEM, but with that extra bite.The TCI I've looked at a couple times, I could probably find something from SLP it may just come down to the gears and math(the fun kind) for the final decision. I need to get a nice rim/tire(tyre) package for some extra grip too, plan to lower the car 1.5 inches, etc my list gets longer every day for now though concentrating on the powertrain and getting it all in the car, almost done with my bird then I'll be able to concentrate on the cat better. Idk ronbros that grand national almost deserves a nice fat 88mm turbo:P