XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

The lure and the lore of the Jag

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 10:50 AM
Received 282 Likes on 176 Posts
Default The lure and the lore of the Jag

Just read few posts about people scrapping, unloading, getting rid off, etc. of their X308s, which prompted me to post this.

There are three types of Jag owners out there (my impression).

The first are the people that don't have any knowledge of the Jags, or any cars for that matter. They went out (back in 1998-2003) and bought a beautiful car (unlike anything else in the price range), had it serviced at the dealer, and when it went out of warranty, they got rid of it (because they "heard" that these cars are "the maintenance nightmare"). These people will keep buying the new cars, and keep the deales in business. They might've switched brands, but the MO is the same,......new car (lease or buy), dealer serviced, warranty,....no worries.

The second group are the people that buy the used car from the first group, and play the "Russian roulette" with it. They never bother to learn about the car, and all they wanted is a "cool car" that has the "wow factor", and is VERY CHEAP, compared with the likes of the age and class. They drive the car until some major repair is needed, and then they "part it out", "scrap", "unload" ...etc.

The third group is the people that have some experience (with cars, or the life in general). These people understand that there is no "free lunch" anywhere, no matter what they've been told. You need to "pay the piper" if you want to enjoy the music these cars produce. And this music gets to be VERY EXPENSIVE, as the car ages (like anything else!). Even us humans need "maintanence". Surgeries, doctors, pills, facelifts, lipos, hair implants, breast implants, cosmetic dental procedures,......a lot of stuff, as we age. Try to add all that up, and it costs WAY more than the car maintenance!

The last group knows that the ownership comes at the price, and there is only two ways to keep it up.......DIY, or "pay the piper"!

X308 IS the last of the "elegant - true to the breed" Jaguars. There is NOTHING out there that can be purchased in this price range (average X308 with good history and less than 100K on the clock), that compares to this model. And they have their known problems (tensioners, trannys, cooling system, electrical, etc.), ...yes they do. So this last group of X308 buyers goes into this X308 "love affair" with their eyes wide open, and it's willing to read and LEARN everything ever written on the subject. And,......perform preventive maintenance plus EXTENSIVE DIY.

One can buy a low mileage transmission for a VERY reasonable price out there (example). Take that tranny (that will cost about the same as a decent dinner for two!), buy all the upgrades, ....and start wrenching. Like someone said in another thread,....."it's just the disassembly and assembly of the premachined parts". Anotherwords,....it's not a "brain surgery". If a human hand put it together, another human hand can take it apart, and replace what needs to be replaced. Once the tranny in the car goes out (not IF, but WHEN!), another tranny is fully rebuilt, and ready to be bolted in.

In this day and age, all the info is available (even "how to" videos!) at one's fingertips. This was just a dream "short" 20 years ago.

So the third group buys the X308 with the "plan" how to prevent any disasters, and how to keep it on the road for a VERY long time. And not for a daily transportation either! There are other cars for that. This classic automobile is supposed to be cherished and driven when one wants to feel good about oneself. And once it's 30+ years old (and still as new or better!), hopefully the new generation (if they were raised right!) will provide the loving care for the "Gramp's old Jag", and keep it going.

How else do you think all those Duesenbergs, Bugattis and likes, survived to this day?

And what about money, you ask? Well,....get the calculator out right now, and start adding up. The cost of the average X308 (any year), plus preventive maintenance DIY, plus replacing tranny, engine (if needs to be!),....everything. The total is still LESS than walking into the dealership, and buying one of these "21st century" boxes that look like the same Asian kid designed them. You CAN own a classic Jaguar for about $100 a month, but you need to keep it for a long time.

And remember,.....there is no "free lunch", no matter what they tell you.

Sorry about the rant, but if someone out there considers buying an X308, I hope this helps them to do it for the right reasons, not for the "cool factor".

The two that WE own, will never be sold, scrapped, or junked as long as we live. The older they get, the better they look against all the egg shaped little boxes on the street today.

The following 6 users liked this post by danielsand:
98JagXJ8L (02-03-2013), MaximusPRIME_510 (03-15-2013), Red October (02-04-2013), Safi (02-05-2013), sagekat (03-26-2014), sklimii (02-03-2013) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-03-2013, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 423 Posts

Amen. I love these cars- and will buy more as time goes on.

Are you still looking for an XJR? Let me know if you run across any 1K-4K examples, as I am looking to get another....

Old 02-03-2013, 11:44 AM
Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

I like that!! I started working in the making cars business since I was an apprentice (1959)Humber Hillman and progressed to Ford (1966) and stayed with them for 27 years before moving into the parts supply chain. Still in love with cars and love to tinker. There is a lot of help out there. And passing neighbours and pedestrians always want to know what you are doing.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by dsnyder586
Amen. I love these cars- and will buy more as time goes on.

Are you still looking for an XJR? Let me know if you run across any 1K-4K examples, as I am looking to get another....
Yes, I am still looking. Not easy to find. Ideally, it will be a one owner car, that was driven as a "pleasure" vehicle, not a DD (for example,.....my VDP was driven 6K per year by the previous owner). It will have less than 100K on the clock, and it will be 2002-2003 model. "Salvage title" vehicle would be prefered, maybe in a need of a tranny, and with the complete history. As we know, insurance companies "junk" them with a cosmetic damage in MANY cases. As it would not be purchased to "flip" for profit, salvage title doesn't bother me. There is nothing I can not fix or repair, and going down the street, it doesn't have a "salvage title" sticker on it.

Luckily, we live in the "rust free" part of the country, for that's the ONLY thing that can never be "fixed", just covered up. Once the "cancer" sets in, one is just fighting the loosing battle.

I am monitoring CA, NV, and AZ and if something comes up that sounds interesting, I'll let you know (unless I pounce on it!).

Old 02-03-2013, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,623 Posts

There is a fourth group ... enthusiasts who bought new ... had it serviced under warranty ... and when the warranty ran out, they took over themselves. They still have the vehicle and won't part with it.

As for daily drivers, some owners prefer to drive the best they have and use the utility vehicle only for parts chasing. Some owners only have one car .... just like it used to be when families had exactly one vehicle called the family car.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:41 PM

You are right (as usual!). The "fourth group" that has it from new, and they won't part with it.

Every vehicle has a purpose in the family. We have "his", "hers", "family", "animal hauler",...etc.

One vehicle just can't do it all (at least in MY family). I love my dogs, but I would NEVER load them up in the Jags (for example).

Old 02-03-2013, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 1,069 Posts

I think the group thing is a generalisation across the motor industry - you can probably find the same comments in other maker forums, more so with an image of performance.

I also think you could list dozens of groups or reasons why people buy cars, but it's an interesting insight into buyers in the US.

Over time on the forum people and their cars come and go, the ones that stay are usually enthusiasts, and that group I'm firmly in.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:43 PM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Red face

Im Happy With my 1998 Jaguar XJ8L X308 Im the Third Owner,
The first owner was an older woman that passed away when it had 75,000miles always dealer serviced and records.

The second owner was one of those people that wanted it for looks as well have it as his daily driver, expecting to drive it without having to fix things, he would only repair things when they broke and would have to Pay to get the work done, He put a total of 48,000 Miles in only two years!
being he did not do his own repairs. Then he realized it was costing him a pretty penny (Break service $378 USD, radiator houses and lines $353, Then he had the Dealer do a "Level 1 diagnostic" oil change and replace battery $503,
serpentine Belt flew off idler pulley failed belt flew off and top radiator hose blow off from the overheating, (thank god engine was fine) that job costed him $423, Throttle Body Cleaning $108, Alternator $476,
Thermostat & Housing replaced $270 (instead of using the upgrade to aluminum housing they replaced it with another plastic one)
Then finally his transmission gave out, So he gave up and i seen it for sale $1,900 near perfect condition in and out so i grabbed it. 123,000 Miles

I was in 6th Grade when i seen a magazine and it was the 1998 XJ8L and i always dreamed of owning one.
So im bringing this cat back to life as i do have my every day car (1997 Mercedes C220)

So i am taking my time on this Jag fixing and updating everything, Thanks to this forum to having so much information and very helpful members.
The upper tensioners were seconds from disaster! but im replacing those as soon as the parts come in this week, then move on to rebuilding the tranny as well as buying a rebuilt updated valvebody. Then replace the fuel filter, Fuel pump, shocks, ball joints, 4 new tires, already got new spark plugs

It will be such a joy to finally have the weekend car ive always wanted, I just cant wait to see how it drives after i do all the work to it. Im sure i will love it even more.
Its a Body style that will always be In-Style

Attached Thumbnails The lure and the lore of the Jag-d80bf743-65b4-4ee3-a1ac-986e6c6df97c-837-0000007645c4d0ed_zps08d47184.jpg  
Old 02-03-2013, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by 98JagXJ8L
Im Happy With my 1998 Jaguar XJ8L X308 Im the Third Owner,
The first owner was an older woman that passed away when it had 75,000miles always dealer serviced and records.

The second owner was one of those people that wanted it for looks as well have it as his daily driver, expecting to drive it without having to fix things, he would only repair things when they broke and would have to Pay to get the work done, He put a total of 48,000 Miles in only two years!
being he did not do his own repairs. Then he realized it was costing him a pretty penny (Break service $378 USD, radiator houses and lines $353, Then he had the Dealer do a "Level 1 diagnostic" oil change and replace battery $503,
serpentine Belt flew off idler pulley failed belt flew off and top radiator hose blow off from the overheating, (thank god engine was fine) that job costed him $423, Throttle Body Cleaning $108, Alternator $476,
Thermostat & Housing replaced $270 (instead of using the upgrade to aluminum housing they replaced it with another plastic one)
Then finally his transmission gave out, So he gave up and i seen it for sale $1,900 near perfect condition in and out so i grabbed it. 123,000 Miles

I was in 6th Grade when i seen a magazine and it was the 1998 XJ8L and i always dreamed of owning one.
So im bringing this cat back to life as i do have my every day car (1997 Mercedes C220)

So i am taking my time on this Jag fixing and updating everything, Thanks to this forum to having so much information and very helpful members.
The upper tensioners were seconds from disaster! but im replacing those as soon as the parts come in this week, then move on to rebuilding the tranny as well as buying a rebuilt updated valvebody. Then replace the fuel filter, Fuel pump, shocks, ball joints, 4 new tires, already got new spark plugs

It will be such a joy to finally have the weekend car ive always wanted, I just cant wait to see how it drives after i do all the work to it. Im sure i will love it even more.
Its a Body style that will always be In-Style
This is a gorgeous car! I'm happy that it will end it's life in the hands of a person that clearly belongs in the 'third group' I was talking about.

I do not know the X308 market in the UK (or anywhere else except SoCal for that matter!), so my original post can be taken as such. I did not aim to annoy or offend anyone, but your story IS the perfect example of what I was talking about. I've been shopping for the X308 for a long time. I was looking "high and low" in SoCal, and MOST of the cars I've found had the EXCATLY the same story as yours (first owner either dead, or sold the car because it was out of warranty, second owner did the absolute MINIMUM to keep it on the road, and when the major repair hit, sold it for peanuts instead of fixing it).

I wanted to avoid the "second owner" if possible. I was looking for the dead first owner (actually his/her descendants!), and they are not easy to find. There are PLENTY of X308s for sale in SoCal as we speak, but most are sold by the third/fourth owners, and/or small 'dealerships' with no known (or disclosed!) history.

The price you paid for yours is right on. Once you are done with upgrades, all you have to do is maintain it, and for a DIY type a guy, this is not only cheap, but enjoyable too!

I just came back off the mountain with my horse, and I was thinking about someone's signature on this forum (I forgot who's)....."the Jag is just like a horse, don't own one unless you enjoy taking care of it" or something like that.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 423 Posts

I purchased my fist Jaguar in 2004, and have not looked back since. (9 Jags later)

I wouldn't have ever even owned one, but as I was pondering a 300SL, my wife chimed in and said I should get a black Jaguar- I scoffed and asked her why.

She replied "because they are sexy" Needless to say my mind was changed that instant.

I would venture to say even if you had your car serviced professionally it would cost less than a car payment on a similar quality new car. A Honda Accord? maybe not- but then you would be driving a Honda Accord.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:35 PM
Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Dsnyder and Danielsand, recommend for you to keep an eye on Copart and IAA (insurance auto auctions) sites. I'm sure you can find what you are looking for there.

The following users liked this post:
danielsand (02-05-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 03:58 AM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by danielsand
This is a gorgeous car! I'm happy that it will end it's life in the hands of a person that clearly belongs in the 'third group' I was talking about.

I do not know the X308 market in the UK (or anywhere else except SoCal for that matter!), so my original post can be taken as such. I did not aim to annoy or offend anyone, but your story IS the perfect example of what I was talking about. I've been shopping for the X308 for a long time. I was looking "high and low" in SoCal, and MOST of the cars I've found had the EXCATLY the same story as yours (first owner either dead, or sold the car because it was out of warranty, second owner did the absolute MINIMUM to keep it on the road, and when the major repair hit, sold it for peanuts instead of fixing it).

I wanted to avoid the "second owner" if possible. I was looking for the dead first owner (actually his/her descendants!), and they are not easy to find. There are PLENTY of X308s for sale in SoCal as we speak, but most are sold by the third/fourth owners, and/or small 'dealerships' with no known (or disclosed!) history.

The price you paid for yours is right on. Once you are done with upgrades, all you have to do is maintain it, and for a DIY type a guy, this is not only cheap, but enjoyable too!

I just came back off the mountain with my horse, and I was thinking about someone's signature on this forum (I forgot who's)....."the Jag is just like a horse, don't own one unless you enjoy taking care of it" or something like that.
Thank you I found interest in your post because that is how a majority of people in the US treat their cars, as long as the car starts and goes they could care less to do anything more than put gas and keep on driving, I do wish I would have found the family member that sold this car for the lady.
But then I would have not got it as cheap,

I'm just thankful the engine was still in great running condition, as for the tensioners they were the upgraded metal ones it was a false alarm on my end, but the car needed valve cover gaskets either way. Ill be starting another thread of the transmission job, and good luck with your searches! It's always good to have service records without those your on a ship without the sail, as I'd say.
As for the DIY I really enjoying doing that, as long as its not electrical that's something I still have to learn haha.
Cheers

Old 02-05-2013, 02:38 PM
Received 95 Likes on 40 Posts

I tried several times to never come back after selling my previous X308s. But there is no substitute.

I believe my number five will stay.

Attached Thumbnails The lure and the lore of the Jag-13366155hy.jpg  

Last edited by earny; 02-12-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:03 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

yes, i'm the 2nd owner... first owner bought new, used warranty to maintain, THEN kept the car (and serviced it 3 times a year or MORE at the dealership) good thing she was well-off... the wife of a retired admiral. but i was able to buy her car from her daughter (executor of the estate after 1st owner's death) with only 64,000 miles and FULL service records. and we carry on. we plan to keep this car FOR-EV-ER.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by fhowell
yes, i'm the 2nd owner... first owner bought new, used warranty to maintain, THEN kept the car (and serviced it 3 times a year or MORE at the dealership) good thing she was well-off... the wife of a retired admiral. but i was able to buy her car from her daughter (executor of the estate after 1st owner's death) with only 64,000 miles and FULL service records. and we carry on. we plan to keep this car FOR-EV-ER.
Congrats! That was a good catch. IF (and I repeat: "IF") I would have more patience, I could've found something like that, somewhere in the country,....but when I want something, I want it "NOW". Mine is OK (bought with 80K from the second owner), I just wish my paint is not so thin (came from AZ with a LOT of unprofessional detailing/buffing). I WILL paint it in the Spring, but it will never be "original" again. Now I'm in love with it (and it's PERFECT mechanically, and has almost new interior), that even if something "better" would show up on the "radar", I would not part with it.

I really don't know what it is,......I'm not a kid any more, but I haven't enjoyed a car like this since my 1969 NSU Prinz (bought used in 1974 in Europe, and my first car). I have many other vehicles (considerably more "valuable" than the X308), but I enjoy driving this thing more than anything. Wife drove S430 AMG as a DD, and seeing me enjoying my VDP, she said: "Why don't you get ME one of these?" I did. S class is pushed back to the role of the "family car" now.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:22 AM
Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Tirefriar
Dsnyder and Danielsand, recommend for you to keep an eye on Copart and IAA (insurance auto auctions) sites. I'm sure you can find what you are looking for there.
How safe is to use those sites? Is it as good as ebay?

Old 02-11-2013, 04:01 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

so daniels..are you saying i made a bad purchase by purchasing my jag (99 xj8) as a daily driver? I am only 28 years old, have no children, and dont plan on having any any time soon! hehehe..I love my jag even with the major repair that im about to have done on it..but as you can see as a woman I am eager to learn about my car and not make mistakes on my kitty in the future..I will make sure that she is in tip top shape! but all this talk about they are not good for a dd is making me ponder. however i dont see what the problem is if i take care of her and only drive her to and from work (10) miles everyday right? my mom drives cadillacs and they are her daily drivers and she never has a problem.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:28 PM
Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by metalgoddess
so daniels..are you saying i made a bad purchase by purchasing my jag (99 xj8) as a daily driver? I am only 28 years old, have no children, and dont plan on having any any time soon! hehehe..I love my jag even with the major repair that im about to have done on it..but as you can see as a woman I am eager to learn about my car and not make mistakes on my kitty in the future..I will make sure that she is in tip top shape! but all this talk about they are not good for a dd is making me ponder. however i dont see what the problem is if i take care of her and only drive her to and from work (10) miles everyday right? my mom drives cadillacs and they are her daily drivers and she never has a problem.
I drive my car as a daily driver. I drive about 60 miles everyday during the week. And I'm not a mechanic. If the car has the trouble spots fixed already, I wouldn't worry.

The following users liked this post:
metalgoddess (02-12-2013)
Old 02-11-2013, 05:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting thread! As I am about to take ownership of my first Jaguar, I will be the third owner of the car. It will not be my daily driver and my plan is to keep it for as long as I can.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:58 PM
Received 448 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by danielsand
My horses are in the stable for the night.

Attached Thumbnails The lure and the lore of the Jag-img_0133-crop.jpg  

Quick Reply: The lure and the lore of the Jag