XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

MAF sensor

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 04:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default MAF sensor

Hello all-
As I've been reading various posts on the forum, I've seen some discussion about cleaning the MAF sensor and how doing so causes the car to run like new. Does anyone know where the MAF is on this car? Also. what do you clean it with? Is the removal, cleaning and replacement difficult or dangerous? (I.E can I break something that will be expensive to fix) Thanks in advance.

Old 06-27-2009, 05:44 PM
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I wouldn't expect miracles!

It's aft of the air filter and can be removed from the air intake and cleaner with electrical cleaner. Be careful not to touch the sensor.

Cleaning may trigger a fault light (touchy!) so you may need a scanner to clear it. I'm not sure if disconnecting the battery will clear it.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cadrad
Hello all-
As I've been reading various posts on the forum, I've seen some discussion about cleaning the MAF sensor and how doing so causes the car to run like new. Does anyone know where the MAF is on this car? Also. what do you clean it with? Is the removal, cleaning and replacement difficult or dangerous? (I.E can I break something that will be expensive to fix) Thanks in advance.
There is a link on this website if you search under MAF cleaning, I used those and it was VERY helpful. I used CRC electronic contact cleaner, however repeated the process later with a CRC MAF sensor cleaner. I had no problem doing it either time. My light cleared on its own after a couple days after the cleaning (man I love Jag). On my car, this and the throttle body cleaning in the instructions has transformed my car. I have the XJR and you can now feel the supercharger clearly pulling when accelerating.

From what I read, it is recommended to clean the MAF sensor every filter cleaning. I have a cold air intake, so my problems came when I had it cleaned (likely the oil they used on the cleaner coated the MAF sensor and then dirt simply started to build up quickly).

Noted in the other post, I am not sure how touchy they are, but I was careful about only handling the outside. There is a temperature sensor as well there and I went ahead and cleaned it (as it also was coated in dirt).

As noted above, it is located in the collar right behind the air cleaner box. You should notice a collar and an electrical connection going to it, that is the MAF sensor and came out with a screw driver.