XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Making a monster, Into a Beast!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 02:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mhm, But like my previous question. I was looking for a legitmate performance chip and i came across quite a few. Anyone know what company sells legit ones that wont start frying everything?

Old 11-11-2010, 02:26 PM
Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Oklahoman
Mhm, But like my previous question. I was looking for a legitmate performance chip and i came across quite a few. Anyone know what company sells legit ones that wont start frying everything?

Just curious, since this is your first car, how old are you?

I was 17 when I got my Jag (back in '04). I'm 23 now.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,356 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Only one Arden, £4100 plus vat which is a separate ecu piggyback, then there's ecu remaps at around £700 which give more midrange torque, not horsepower gains, they need to be set individually on a dyno.....
Why do I feel like I'm going round in circles with this guy. Enough from me, get your wallet out, lol!

Old 11-11-2010, 02:36 PM

Sorry, Yes i am 17. Thats why so many questions!

Old 11-11-2010, 02:47 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Chip tuning is generally more effective with turbo engines. Get an intake and exhaust system and call it a day. It will feel faster because it will sound faster.

Remember that for everything else that is altered, the reliability will suffer!

Old 11-11-2010, 03:18 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

I am 18 now but started driving a 2002 XJR almost 3 years ago. I have put about 10,000 miles on the car since I started driving it exclusively. These cars like we have are, in my opinion, not worth messing with. the cost is far too high to justify the very low performance gain. I must say that a performance based or advanced car handling type course is a good idea. my drivers ed was rather advanced with a skid pad and whatnot. However, this had limited benefit because a chevy cavalier is a slightly different car to drive than an XJR.

I did the tire rack street survival school and I learned a lot because you do that course in your own car.

http://www.streetsurvival.org/index.php

performance upgrades are ridiculously expensive:

http://eurotoysltd.com/catalog/produ...oducts_id=1273

whatever you end up doing good luck

Old 11-11-2010, 07:31 PM
Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Oklahoman
Sorry, Yes i am 17. Thats why so many questions!

Haha man, you sound like you were JUST like me when I got my car.

Look out for friends who will become 'haters' and might not treat your car as well as they should when they ride in your car. My high school consisted of BMW, porsche, and mercedes drivers (even a new porsche 911, Mercedes S class and a Caynne Turbo) and even still, my 4 yr old Jag was an object of great envy. Also watch the girls who look your way while you drive by. Even some women that are kinda old stare when I drive by.

I'm not saying this applies to you at all, but it took me sometime to mature and not speed down the freeway and etc. I raced mustangs and etc. and did some risky things I would not do now. These cars can get dangerous very quickly due to the isolation from the sensation of speed and the XJ not being the most maneuverable as a mini cooper.

These cars are pretty delicate and can break if you drive them too hard. I have bent two rims. I bottomed out on a pothole which also damaged the undercarriage.

Will you service yourself?

I cant because I dont have a lift/ramp. the reason I ask is that the repairs are expensive. Although I didnt pay for my car or repairs, (don't flame away, I made a deal with my dad to get a perfect 800 on at least one section of the SAT to get a scholarship), even my parents dread the though of any repairs, almost to the point that they kinda want to get rid of it . The good thing is the XJR's drivetrain is more reliable than the non s/c cars.

Welcome to the forum! Ask me if you have any questions!

Old 11-11-2010, 08:29 PM

Haha. I was stared at before. Now it seems people don't blink. My friends in there corvettes cower when they hear the jaguar growl. I will not be servicing myself. But I get like half the price on most repairs since my pops is good friends with some pretty skilled mechanics.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:31 AM
Default Car Handling School

Try:

http://www.drivepetty.com/

It is Richard Petty's Driving School and they have tracks in many states.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts
Talking

It's funny how jealousy will bring out the worst in people. I used to take turns driving a carpool to work in my Jag, and there was one guy who would get in and slam the door like he was trying to break it off and then knock on the dash and say "is this real wood ?". Of course I always got the "what do you drive when it's in the shop ?" questions. But I would advise you to learn at least a little about working on the car, or cars in general. So many young folks nowadays just shrug it off and say that new cars are just too complicated for mere mortals to work on. The fact is, thanks to the OBDII standard, us mere mortals can get almost as much diagnostic info as the so-called "pros". It impresses girls too.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:01 PM

There is no way i can go to texas XD My father would probably deny that!

Old 11-28-2010, 03:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with squish regarding too many changes will lead to reliability issues as i had a series 2 xj6 with a 454 chev running 500+hp when i was young and although it was an amazing car i had so many ongoing issues due to almost everything braking the love of the car died and my wallet was emptied quickly!. I have just recently bought my 98 xjr and i want to keep it completely stock as one important factor is that 1000's of hours were spent engineering all your drivetrain components to handle the amount of hp and torque the engine has to offer.. If you tweak it too much then all you end up doing is blowing up diffs and transmissions, ive done it too many times!. And in my opinion an extra 40hp is not going to make one bit of difference in your 0-100 time...But hey if thats what you want to do then good luck.