XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Manufacturer Control Fuel Air Metering Code?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 03:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Manufacturer Control Fuel Air Metering Code?

Getting a Manufacturer Control Fuel Air Metering Code on a 1998 XJ8. Any suggestions on what this is or what direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

JP

Old 11-08-2010, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,370 Likes on 1,077 Posts

can you tell us the code?

Old 11-08-2010, 08:19 PM
Received 8,251 Likes on 4,976 Posts

It must be a secret or an AGGIE thing. There are alot of them here in Texas!!!!!
What would TX be without Agricultural and Mechanical????

bob gauff

Old 11-10-2010, 07:02 AM

Haha...that code was a P1111. It also shows a P1643 manufacturer control aux. inputs aux. outputs. The car does not have any engine lights currently, but I did have to replace the battery recently. Basically..out of no where the car seems like it is "sputtering' as you are driving. If you accelerate it goes away. Seems to only do this while driving at a constant speed and comes and goes. Not consistent at all. Every now and again it seems like when you slow to stop for a light, the car is still pushing as the rpms are not falling quickly enough. Almost like the car isnt realizing that your foot is no longer on the accelerator. Not sure and I hope this makes sense. Seems like with these cars once something starts going wrong it unleashes all sorts of crap. Any data would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks,

JP

Old 11-10-2010, 07:52 AM
Received 111 Likes on 55 Posts

P1111 Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor Circuit Intermittent High Voltage

I have the same code - no problem though.
It instantly shows up after resetting all the fault codes and I read somewhere that this special code is not to worry about.
(I have to say that my MAF Sensor is brand new and this damn code still shows up.)

P1643 Fuel Pump Monitor Circuit Low Input

HTH

David

BTW
@ Mods - Is there no list of Jaguar fault codes somewhere on the FAQ-section of this site?
I could provide one if needed...

Old 11-10-2010, 08:20 AM

Here is the DTC guide for your car

FORGET about the P1111 and P1000
They are readiness codes and you WILL have one or the other. (YOU CANNOT CLEAR THEM, YOU CAN ONLY HAVE ONE OR THE OTHER)

bob gauff

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
AJ26_1998.pdf (99.1 KB, 215 views)
Old 11-10-2010, 09:40 AM

Thanks for the info. Any suggestions on the 1643 code? I read your attachment but I am not sure how to test the possible causes.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 442 Posts

Thanks , I will check out we should have codes in FAQs, if not I will make this page FAQ for reference

Old 11-11-2010, 08:16 AM

CAN TCM token missing.

You can check pins 6 and 14 in the DLC (those are the CAN pins)

It's been a while since I had to test the CAN wires but if I remember correctly..

You should get about 2.6 V on pin 6 (CAN HIGH) and 2.4 V on pin 14 (CAN LOW) with the KEY ON ENGINE OFF

You should get about 60 ohms across the pins because there is a 120 ohm resistor at each end of the network. KEY OFF

bob gauff

Old 11-11-2010, 09:40 AM

Thank you. Will test it later today or in the morning. Would that at all have anything to do with the symptoms that I described earlier? The random spudder/miss?

JP

Old 11-12-2010, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by motorcarman
CAN TCM token missing.

You can check pins 6 and 14 in the DLC (those are the CAN pins)

It's been a while since I had to test the CAN wires but if I remember correctly..

You should get about 2.6 V on pin 6 (CAN HIGH) and 2.4 V on pin 14 (CAN LOW) with the KEY ON ENGINE OFF

You should get about 60 ohms across the pins because there is a 120 ohm resistor at each end of the network. KEY OFF

bob gauff
I tested those and got 2.64 and 2.36 respectively. Again, this seems quite odd and Im not sure that I get why this could be causing the random part throttle hesitation. Does disconnecting the battery clear codes on these as it does on most cars? I am thinking that I am going to go this route and then drive the car for a while and have the codes checked again. I certainly appreciate your thoughts and direction on this.

Thanks,

JP

Old 11-12-2010, 03:27 PM
Received 2,193 Likes on 1,359 Posts

That is a intermittent code and there is about a 8 page flow chart for doing a network test and repair. You basically have to pull all compnonets on the network, ecu, tcm, j gate, i pack, abs etc and check all pins and connectors on network, plus do a pin drag test to check for spread pins. This is very time consuming, youll never find something that holds up its hand and says hi its me, ive been creating network hell. But you have to check and ive gone so far as to replace pins in the connectors. Plus theres no way to check for intermittent module network fault either where a module is the fault. You can go through and disconnect and check all pins and the process of disc/reconnect will clean and sometimes repair, but other wise you need a hard fault or youre guessing

Old 11-12-2010, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Brutal
That is a intermittent code and there is about a 8 page flow chart for doing a network test and repair. You basically have to pull all compnonets on the network, ecu, tcm, j gate, i pack, abs etc and check all pins and connectors on network, plus do a pin drag test to check for spread pins. This is very time consuming, youll never find something that holds up its hand and says hi its me, ive been creating network hell. But you have to check and ive gone so far as to replace pins in the connectors. Plus theres no way to check for intermittent module network fault either where a module is the fault. You can go through and disconnect and check all pins and the process of disc/reconnect will clean and sometimes repair, but other wise you need a hard fault or youre guessing
Thank you. I appreciate the incite here. Is something this random common with these cars? Just seems like literally out of no where. Maybe it is time to sell and part ways with the 'ol Jag.

Thanks again,

JP

Old 11-13-2010, 01:28 AM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

The one thing I'd recommend, relative to the throttle issues, is to unplug and clean the throttle position sensor (TPS) connector pins, on the TPS and in the mating connector. They used dissimilar metals on these pins (gold on the TPS and tin on the harness connector) and they will corrode, causing intermittent loss or incorrect TPS signals... this, in my case, caused intermittent 'pushing' at slow down and occasional minor accelerations when cruising at idle, for instance, in a parking lot.

The cleaning is simple, takes 5 minutes, and, again in my case, eliminated all throttle self-modulation issues. I used Radio Shack contact cleaner/lubricant for this.

This issue is detailed in a TSB from Jaguar (perhaps someone can link you to it) and Jag has a replacement pin set for the harness connector, gold this time, to eliminate the problem permanatly. So far, it appears as if my cleaning eliminates the problem for 6 months at a time or so before symptoms return... so I've just added the TPS connection cleaning procedure to my oil change regimen to keep it from coming back at all.

Last edited by QuadManiac; 11-13-2010 at 01:32 AM.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

The 1643 code is often reported when testing, along with absolutely NO symptom. I am ALMOST POSITUIVE it is an artifact of connecting the scanner, which interrupts the can bus traffic and causes the dropped token. Measuring voltage will tell you nothing. It would be like measuring the voltage on your ethernet connector on your computer. While the stumble COULD be associated with bad bus connections, I doubt a fault associated with one set of conditions (non accelerating) wouuld be dropped communication packets. I recommend you follow Quadmaniac's suggestions, since they match previously reported symptoms.

Last edited by sparkenzap; 11-13-2010 at 08:35 AM.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:48 AM

We were instructed at Engine Management and Advanced Multiplexed Circuits (Carol Bailey was the instructor if anyone remembers her) training sessions that if one wire on the CAN bus is open circuit the car will still run as it is designed to operate with half of the circuit (how well I can't say). When WDS was first issued to us the first thing the computer wanted to do was a NETWORK INTEGRITY TEST. You could deny the test and move on with the other diagnostics to save time and eventually the automatic request was discontinued on later versions of WDS.
It's quick and easy to make sure both wires are intact.

Here is the connector mismatch TSB but it is for P0121 so I don't know if it is relevant.

bob gauff

Attached Files
303-58.pdf (268.4 KB, 218 views)
303-S498am.pdf (671.5 KB, 246 views)
Old 11-13-2010, 12:34 PM

We were instructed at Engine Management and Advanced Multiplexed Circuits (Carol Bailey was the instructor if anyone remembers her) training sessions that if one wire on the CAN bus is open circuit the car will still run as it is designed to operate with half of the circuit (how well I can't say). When WDS was first issued to us the first thing the computer wanted to do was a NETWORK INTEGRITY TEST. You could deny the test and move on with the other diagnostics to save time and eventually the automatic request was discontinued on later versions of WDS.
It's quick and easy to make sure both wires are intact.

Here is the connector mismatch TSB but it is for P0121 so I don't know if it is relevant.

bob gauff
damn you ARE OLD, I remember Carol, and I think she went to Ford though years ago. That network test, (or any) is only good when you have a hard fault not intermittent. to OP....Its a safty program so you dont end up with a Toyota issue. redundant system to compare readings and ANY drop out
or disagreement put you in limp home if throttle system related. Again I would disconnect all connectors on the can network and clean and go from there. Past that a gas pedal assembly

Old 11-13-2010, 02:49 PM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

There is the connector mismatch TSB but it is for P0121 so I don't know if it is relevant.

bob gauff
It took at least a month or more of intermittent 'throttle modulation' symptoms before my car threw a code (and it was P0121) which led me to the TPS connector cleaning... but the symptoms existed, just no codes. That's why I suggest the cleaning - it's a five minute procedure that MAY eliminate the throttle issues... of course it may not, but then only five minutes have been wasted in the attempt; and so on to the next possibility.

Last edited by QuadManiac; 11-13-2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:52 PM

Those tsb's too are out of vin/date range and issues pertaining to those tsb's where fixed on leter years....ie gold pins and different throttle bodies

Old 11-13-2010, 10:07 PM

Carol Bailey loved her DOGS and her DAUGHTER to a fault. I used to eMail her but lost track. I know she went to Chicago after California but after that........................?

bob gauff

Quick Reply: Manufacturer Control Fuel Air Metering Code?