XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

May be adding to the stable

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 06:56 PM
Received 164 Likes on 113 Posts
Default May be adding to the stable

Slap me now...

Looking at a really really nice '13 XF (Carnellian Red, NED interior, 15K miles on a lease turn-in, clean Carfax, 1 owner...) to add to the collection. The XJ is almost finished at the body shop (new dogleg on the passenger rear wheel arch, rear window rust taken out, new headliner, bumpers repainted, car buffed out...), but, wow...the XF is just nice. And it has flappy paddles and no stop-start to have to deal with.

If I do this...will have nothing but Brit cars in the driveway (discounting my better half's new VW Jetta SEL turbodiesel).

Thinking I may be nuts.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 896 Likes on 734 Posts

U r on the right track. 'Bout to do the same on an 11 XJL . . .

Old 05-27-2015, 09:48 PM
Default xjl

Thought about an XJ/XJL..took one for a test...but for me, while I do like big cars...well..the big cat I was driving seemed to be vast enough to have its own zip code... Not complaining, mind you, driving ANY Jag is an event, not a chore, just couldn't fit it in the garage nor justify such an enormous car for 1 person to commute in...

FWIW, this is the lucky gal I'm looking at:

'13 XF 2.0T

Hmmmm...nice place to view the road from...

Obligatory X308 mention: Rear passenger wheel arch dogleg repaired, rear screen mounting channel rust removed and stabilized and window reinstalled, paint finished and feathered in to the existing paint, bumpers repainted and remounted, headliner refinished and reinstalled, and all the bits being put back in and such. Dave, my expert body guy, is going to buff out the car so it all is bright and shiny. I trust his judgement; not a total renovation (there's still a couple dings and such that I'll have a PDR guy work out) but entirely presentable.

Considering the OEM wheels are unmarked and still pretty bright and shiny, and it has a new set of shoes on her...and with all the other mechanical work that I've done since picking her up in September...I'm pretty chuffed.

It's now later...stopped by and got a few shots of the completed work...

Fresh headliner.

Repaired dogleg; the white is flashback from the camera flash

Repaired rear window channel

Rear bumper...front is just as nice. Can't really see it, but, this was brush painted in flat black in places, couple cracks and dings. The white dust is from the buffing compound.

All in all, I'm pretty pleased with it at the 95% point. Dave's going to finish detailing and buffing out tomorrow; will pick up on Saturday as of now.

Last edited by bdboyle; 05-28-2015 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Added photos of completed work.
Old 05-30-2015, 04:33 PM
Default Well...

went and did the deed.

New (to me) '13 XF Portfolio edition.

Obligatory XJ8: Glass guy never showed up...still rear glass out of the shell. Not a problem; the rest of the car looks really nice. Just waiting for glass to be put back in, wait 24 hrs for urethane to set up...and she'll be done.

Butcher's bill for all the work: 1600. USD. Metal replacement, rust removal, headliner R&R and recover, front and rear bumper repainted and supplies.

Not bad.

Anyone looking for a sorted XJ8? LOL