XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Maybe soon to be owner???

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 02:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maybe soon to be owner???

Ok here's what I'm looking at 98 xj8L 151,000 miles 4.0L very clean inside and out. The only thing broken is the cup holder will not open just painted clear coat was pealing off from the hood and top. What I'm wanting to know is are these cars dependable I know about the cam chains and the transmission drum the fuel pumps and the break switch. Is this one of those cars that when you drive it you have to work on it or is it a real drivers car? So let me have it the good the bad and the ugly!

Old 08-25-2011, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

A thirteen year old Jaguar with 151k miles on it is a real hobby mechanic's car.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:19 PM

Hobby is good I have 91 civic over half a million miles the I race in scca. Tweaking and tuning I love being left on the side of the road where's the gas and a match.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 423 Posts

Here are a few questions:

1. Can you wrench? If yes, go to #2
2. Are you Comfortable replacing timing chain tensioners? If yes, go to #3
3. Is the car worth more than what you will pay for it? If yes, go to #4
4. Are you prepared to spend a day working on the car OCCASIONALLY?

If you answered yes to the questions above you are a good candidate for an XJ8. They are TREMENDOUS value for the money, but if you have to go to a mechanic for every repair they become expensive affairs.

When you purchase it (I am going to assume you will) do these things right away:

Buy valve cover gaskets.
Buy forward A drum.
Remove valve covers and check to see if the tensioners are metal bodied and
in good shape- if not REPLACE BEFORE DRIVING.
Change oil and transmission fluid
Clean wheel sensors
Clean OR replace crankshaft position sensor (It's a cheap purchase, I opted to buy instead of clean)

Any other issues will rear their head within a few weeks, but the tensioners/Adrum will leave you stranded if they go, and cause at LEAST $800 in parts to correct. (not to mention labor if you go that route)

If I missed any crucial points, hopefully someone will dive in and add their $.02

Cheers!

Old 08-26-2011, 05:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 1,070 Posts

D's got it covered, I'd suggest a new battery if it's on old one. A marginal battery will cause all sorts of electrical weirdness.
Also the cooling system can cause problems on this model year, maybe invest in a new water pump and metal thermostat tower, inc new thermostat.

Good luck!

Old 08-28-2011, 11:00 PM

Sorry it has taken some time to get back on had a large storm to deal with. Answers to the questions
1. yes I can wrench and really enjoy it when the parts are not made of gold
2. been working on Honda’s for years now so timing belts tensioners and water pumps are a once a year most do I drive pretty hard.
3. the price needs to come down some he is wanting 5 grand but it was just painted
4. spending a day tuning is what it's all about
I think my problem is I have become comfortable working on and driving the same cars for years I have wanted an E-type since before I could drive never found one in my price range. So the xj will do just fine I was just worried about buying something that breaks every time you drive it this comes from buying a Saab 9.3 se turbo I'm still trying to find one thing that didn't break on that car had it 1 year sold for the price of a used transmission bought it for way to much.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 423 Posts

I think you will be happy then- once you correct any of the main issues, the car will be (mostly) trouble free. 151K miles? Ya, he needs to come down on price.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:21 PM

As of today at exactly 4:18 p.m eastern the keys hit my hand for the first time being a Jaguar owner! In the end with the taxes tags and repurchase inspection that had done myself I paid 3,600. Some of parts that need to be fixed pcv valve hose broken third brake light not working/no bulb and the cup holder is broken not bad at all two guys crawled all over while I asked ever question I could think of. So my next question is I’m planning a full fluid change what do Jaguars like Mobile1, Redline or Royal Purple what’s best for what? Thank you all for the help.