XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Mechanic caused my J-Gate backlights to fail

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 07:37 PM
Received 90 Likes on 64 Posts
Angry Mechanic caused my J-Gate backlights to fail

On 12-13-2012 Fuel pump replaced @ dealer & afterwards I saw all my J-Gate backlights were suddenly out! Also out were Cruise Control & Sports Mode button backlights. Previously, only the CC backlight was out.

I called next day & got promises to check it out but, delays due to issues @ dealership with mechanic family tragedy & a move across the driveway to consolidate Jaguar & Land Rover service areas. 1-28-2013 Brought car in as arranged last week to finally finish this.

Waited for it for 2 hours. Service Advisor (SA) says all the bulbs/LEDs are burned out yet, it has nothing to do with the fuel pump replacement according to the mechanic! Different circuit than J-Gate bulbs. I say: “Yes, but Fuel pump relay is on the same circuit as J-gate illumination, fuse #16 & I show in owners manual.” SA says: “We didn’t replace the FP relay.” I say: “Yes you did.” He looks it up & finds they did replace it, just as I said. More phone conversations between SA & mechanic. Mechanic still claims he didn’t cause this. Must have been a voltage surge. I say: “Yes from something done during the FP relay replacement.” Mechanic still denies responsibility. SA wants to help anyway. Says cost to repair is $850.00+ (wtf?!)
He asks his boss & tries to get it done for N/C but boss only agrees to pay 1/2. They don’t replace/solder bulbs/LEDs. Want to replace 2 modules (circuit boards with the bulbs/LEDs) Expensive parts + 1.5 hours labor. I know people on this forum have soldered $2 radio shack bulbs to fix these lights.

I refused to pay $450+ for what I am convinced is a problem caused by Jaguar. I know those lights were working b4 I brought car in. When I see the work order ($0 charge for today) Mechanic notes:

“Removed center console wood veneer for access. Harnesses to switches appeared intact. Checked cruise main & trans mode switch backlight illumination circuits. Both were providing power & ground. Removed both switches & jumped pins 1 & 5 with a test light.The light illuminated. Was not able to check J-Gate illumination w/o removing the center console. Suspect bulb failure in illumination module also.”

So mechanic did not even check the J-Gate which is what I brought in car for! He did ck the CC & SP mode buttons & I already knew the CC bulb was out from b4.

SA was very nice & wanted to help but, was going by what the mechanic was telling him. Yet, I wasted even more time today & have no fix.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:21 PM
Received 110 Likes on 83 Posts

Frustrating stuff. I have a FAQ post about how to do the
bulb fix, and which bulbs to use. Also, how to disassemble
the J-gate. You don't need to remove the center console.
What a pollock! Just wants to rip you off.

Search for "J-Gate Backlight" and you should find it, it is
also in the FAQ section. I don't know how to fix the Sport
button lighting.

Jaguar Forums isn't working properly for me btw, so I can't
link. Best luck.

Ian

The following users liked this post:
Iconoclast (01-28-2013)
Old 01-28-2013, 11:20 PM
Received 90 Likes on 64 Posts

Thanks Ian

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...cklight-75330/

I had actually seen that post of yours & copied it & bookmarked it months ago. Back then I was looking to remove all that stuff to replace the bulb in the Cruise Control backlight.

I cannot solder. But I was considering using that info to remove the circuit boards, buy radio shack replacement bulbs & to bring to someone to solder it for me. Maybe at Radio Shack? I have attempted to solder b4 & while I thought it was done right, it didn’t work (New stereo jack on long headphone wire.) & had to be redone by someone who knew how to do it correctly. Same with sweating copper pipe. The downside to this job is your car is out of order till you put it back together correctly w/o cracking or breaking anything.

Steve