XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Misfire on XJR

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 10:37 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Misfire on XJR

Another problem with my wifes 2002 XJR.

The car started idling very rough. I pulled the codes and I'm getting P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304. Which according to AllData equates to Bank1 Cyl 1,2,3,4. Is this correct?

I'm going on the premise that this is correct unless somebody says otherwise.

I'm also thinking that if this is correct the likelyhood of 4 igntion coils going bad at the same time is very great. So... I'm thinking ignition module. Does this make sense?

I'm going to swap the ignition modules tomorrow and clear the enging codes to see if they swap sides.

What else can I try?

Any help would be very appreciated. My wife has been out of work for the last 6 months and had a very promising interview last week and if she gets the job will be driving 100 miles a day.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:36 PM

I ruled out the coil pales today. I was swapped out two from the right bank for two on the left.

No change, still getting misfires on the right bank only.

I was unable to locate the ignition modules.

Does anybody know where they are located?

Old 07-02-2012, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 423 Posts

Timing chain tensioner maybe? One whole side of the motor sounds mechanical (and camshaft related) to me.

Do not start again until you have checked the tensioner and camshaft alignment.... a quick search should give you the how to and what to look for.

Good luck!

Old 07-02-2012, 12:21 PM
Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by pingj
I ruled out the coil pales today. I was swapped out two from the right bank for two on the left.

Not positive but if I remember right they are under the cover tht is over the brake booster where you put in brake fluid. Pretty sure they are against the wall under the cover. HTH also make sure there is not oil in all the holes causing the misfires I have seen this before and all it was was oil in ea spark plug hole.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by dsnyder586
Timing chain tensioner maybe? One whole side of the motor sounds mechanical (and camshaft related) to me.

Do not start again until you have checked the tensioner and camshaft alignment.... a quick search should give you the how to and what to look for.

Good luck!
Thanks I was going to pull the super charger this weekend and check the injectors. While I had the super charger off I can check the tensioner.

I was afraid it was going to be something like timing on the one side.

Will this car never stop?

Old 07-02-2012, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by XJR-0220
Not positive but if I remember right they are under the cover tht is over the brake booster where you put in brake fluid. Pretty sure they are against the wall under the cover. HTH also make sure there is not oil in all the holes causing the misfires I have seen this before and all it was was oil in ea spark plug hole.
The one good thing is there is no oil in the spark plug holes. They were bone dry before I change the plugs and when I pulled the inner cover this weekend and changed the coil pack they still looked good.

I did have the cover over the brake booster off this weekend looking for the Ignition Module but didn't see it. I should say my son didn't see it as I was working on the right side cover over the ECM. Was cool finding out that the ECM has a cooling fan inside the housing.

I read on another post that the Ignition Modules are inside the ECM. Can anybody confirm that? I didn't want to break the factory seal on the ECM if I don't have to.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member

One more idea came to mind- swap all the coils from the right side to the left, then clear the codes and start her up- this will eliminate them from the troubleshooting process if nothing changes.

The following users liked this post:
pingj (07-02-2012)
Old 07-02-2012, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,356 Likes on 1,067 Posts

this is 99% a timing issue, order the uprated secondary tensioners and use the zip tie method.
I wouldn't start the car until you confirm cam flats are parallel, or it could be valves meeting pistons at next startup.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:35 PM

One more idea came to mind- swap all the coils from the right side to the left, then clear the codes and start her up- this will eliminate them from the troubleshooting process if nothing changes.
Thanks already tried that. My background is in electronics so that was my first thought after changing the plugs. Problems should have switched sides if it was the coil pack.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Sean B
this is 99% a timing issue, order the uprated secondary tensioners and use the zip tie method.
I wouldn't start the car until you confirm cam flats are parallel, or it could be valves meeting pistons at next startup.
Thanks Sean. Already told the wife she is driving my explorer. She wasn't happy.

Do you think I can get away with just the tensioners? What about replacing gaskets? Will I need to replace the valve cover gaskets? What about the super charger? If I can even get those.

Where is the best place to get the parts?

Old 07-02-2012, 08:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Two observations:

- the supercharger does not need to be touched to service the tensioners

- the gaskets have been reused by some people .. the risk is that they leak and you have to do the labour a second time.

pingj (07-03-2012)
Old 07-03-2012, 10:46 AM

Hey all.

Thanks for all the great responses. It has really given me some direction to move.

So now I have a couple more questions.

1. What is the likelihood that the problem is only the upper tensioners?

I'm concerned that I'm going to open the top of the engine only to find I need to replace the lower tensioners / timing changes.

I found the upper tensioners with valve cover gaskets online for @ $220. If I were to get all the parts to replace the entire timing set it is close to $800.

I found an entire kit online from England for $506 and that is including 2 day shipping.

So I'm leaning towards doing the whole thing.

What are everybody’s thoughts?

Old 07-03-2012, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member

Step 1. Remove both valve covers
Step 2. Replace upper tensioners and check for correct valve timing
Step 3. Drive car until you feel like diving into the whole job.

Doing the whole shebang is the right way to go, but much more $$ and I personally have not heard of a catastrophic failure from lower tensioners, although I am sure it is possible.

I have done both (including a head removal/valve replacement- just the tensioners=3 hours max/all tensioners and slippers,chains= 3 days

Old 07-03-2012, 05:13 PM

I personally have not heard of a catastrophic failure
Thanks Dsnyder. I'm comparing the pricing and yes it is more expensive but I found a place out of London that will ship to the house for just over $500 for the whole kit including all seals and gaskets, tensioners and guides.

The way my luck runs and trust me when I say if it weren't for bad luck I would have no luck at all, I'll open her up and find out I have to replace more parts and I'm not willing to pay dealer prices for parts again.

I'm going to bite the bullet and get the whole kit. Better safe than sorry and besides I can't be down to one car for too long.

I'm going to attempt to manufacture all the tools and I'll post some pictures as I go.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:53 AM

Good Moring all,

I just wanted to give you an update on my wifes car.

It is sitting in the driveway waiting on parts.

As I'm sure finding parts for Jaguars here in the States can not always be done at your local parts store, so we resort to online resources.

Finding the parts for the timing chain replacement even online was more money than I wanted to spend. Knowing the parts in the UK are not as expensive as here I tried to find a Jaguar Auto Parts store in the UK, hoping the prices would be cheaper than what I was finding online.

I stumbled on a gem of a place and just had to share it with you. The guy I worked with was Hans at British Parts. I was able to get the entire timing set including all 4 timing chains, guides, tentioners, gaskets and seals for $496 bucks. 2 day shipping from the UK was only $26 bucks.

If you need parts from them they are quick to respond and very helpful.

The following 2 users liked this post by pingj:
jimlombardi (07-08-2012), steveinfrance (07-10-2012)
Old 07-05-2012, 02:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,356 Likes on 1,067 Posts

A well known source!

There's also another option, that is Ford parts from their version of this engine. I know USA guys have bought the tensioners and they're exactly the same. This saves a few bob.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 254 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by pingj

PingJ....for your enlightenment, you won't find ign. amplifiers on this model as your engine is an AJ27.
The previous engine was AJ26 and they had seperate ign. amplifiers and two pin coils.
The AJ27 does away with ign. amplifiers and has four pin coils with the ign. amplifiers operation being incorporated into the four pin coils which have proven to be more troublesome than the earlier variant.

Last edited by xjay8; 07-06-2012 at 07:37 AM.
pingj (07-06-2012)
Old 07-06-2012, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member

Pull off the cam covers and let us know what you find- We are all waiting with baited breath to see if that's it!

Old 07-06-2012, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by xjay8
PingJ....for your enlightenment, you won't find ign. amplifiers on this model as your engine is an AJ27.
The previous engine was AJ26 and they had seperate ign. amplifiers and two pin coils.
The AJ27 does away with ign. amplifiers and has four pin coils with the ign. amplifiers operation being incorporated into the four pin coils which have proven to be more troublesome than the earlier variant.
Thanks xJay8

You are right there are 4 wires to the coild pack. I guess I should have been suspicious of AllData. They have been wrong before on the engine codes for this same car. And also on engine codes for my sons Saturn.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Sean B
A well known source!

There's also another option, that is Ford parts from their version of this engine. I know USA guys have bought the tensioners and they're exactly the same. This saves a few bob.
Sean,

What Ford engine and what model Fords use that engine. When searching for the parts by Jaguar part number all I get is results for the Jaguar version. I knew it was a Ford product but could never find cross reference information, and apparantly Jaguar and Ford do not share that information. with places like NAPA or Advance Auto Parts.

Quick Reply: Misfire on XJR