XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Which model should I start with?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2024, 10:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which model should I start with?

Hello!

I'll soon be in the market for an XJ and currently, I've been researching the X308. At the moment, I'm not too concerned with getting an XJR as I'm more in it for the looks and luxury comfort, as opposed to performance.

I'm sure there's a thread on this already, so if there is, please point me to it so I can do some reading. Otherwise, please can you share your thoughts on:
  1. Is it worth getting the X308 XJ 2003 model, or an older model? Was anything introduced in the 2003 model that made it worse than its predecessors?
  2. Are there many differences outside of performance and "going faster, quicker" that makes the XJR better than the XJ?
  3. I've been told that rust is your worst enemy on these older cars. When it comes to the X308 XJ, is it costly to replace parts due to rust? I've never owned a car before so I don't know what to expect when it comes to replacing parts due to rust.
Answers to any of the above questions would be greatly appreciated! Also, any advice for a first-time buyer of a Jag, specifically the X308 XJ would be awesome and appreciated!

Best,

Old 04-27-2024, 11:14 AM
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

What comes to rust. There is no replacement parts as new. You either have to buy not that rusty part from the scrapyard car and replace it. Or depending from the rust are, make it from the sheet metal. It is labor what costs a lot in rust jobs. There is differences in xjr than what is in non boosted modell. Different seats, different suspension, different gearbox. slight differences outside like front grille and no as much crome as NA model. Xj Sport is kinda R but with na engine.

Old 04-29-2024, 01:05 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

If you really want to buy x308 then go with 2003 xjr if money not problem get yourself well maintained one I wouldn't get older model I don't like to deal with tensioner issues
check for coolant hoses and leaks but well maintained xjr would cost more but you will have peace of mind as the transmission is from Mercedes doesn't have problem as the zf

Old 04-29-2024, 01:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 451 Likes on 371 Posts

A well maintained 2003 Vanden Plas would seem to be ideal for you.
The Vanden Plas is the top of the line and has many great amenities.
Just be sure to let your transmission shop check it out before you
commit to purchase, as others have mentioned the tranny is the weak
spot on the normally aspirated versions.

Old 04-30-2024, 09:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,128 Likes on 706 Posts

I bought my Sovereign like 13 years ago because I was having back surgery and figured on buying the world's cheapest used luxury sedan to waft along in while I healed. It was only supposed to be for a few months, but I absolutely fell in love with it. Drove it daily for six years till it sprouted numerous oil leaks and then the alternator gave out on the way to a business meeting. I was so enamored tho that I bought a newer Jag and spent the next several years refreshing the old XJ8 (including yes, a transmission rebuild) and its now back in the rotation. Knowing what I know now, and if I had the time and patience to spend on a nationwide search, I'd have tried to find a Super V8 edition, only a handful made, but basically the XJR engine and its beefier transmission with the comfort suspension and luxury appointments. Those are not cheap cars tho compared to the base XJ8s.

Still, don't write off the base models. Although slow by modern v8 standards, they are still pretty quick, and extremely smooth compared to all the modern 4-cyl turbo luxury sedans. Any that are still going strong after 20 years and 100K miles have likely been fully "sorted" with upgraded timing chain tensioners and rebuilt transmissions. You just have to review the maintenance records to make sure those expensive things have been done already. In the Jaguar world, the most important mantra to repeat is "No Records = No Sale". Never buy a Jaguar with an unknown maintenance history anyway because they are somewhat fragile, need regular maintenance and you can't risk that the previous owner skipped even one oil change.

A third option is to buy an XJ8 with like only 20-30K miles and plan to spend some more money on it getting it sorted. Despite low miles, at 20+ years old, all the rubber has perished and its going to leak and squeak so that's going to cost some extra to fix. But you can upgrade the valve body in the transmission before any catastrophic damage has occurred (no cracks in the A-drum) and then expect a normal lifespan out of it. Plus the advantage is you'd be getting a nicer car with less overall wear and in better cosmetic condition. Can probably get a pretty nice, low mileage XJ8 and do those preventative repairs for less money than you'd get a higher mileage XJR.

If you are conflicted but can't find the elusive Super V8, yet still yearn for that "magic carpet ride", you could buy an XJR and swap in a set of "comfort" springs and standard bilsteins from a salvaged XJ8 along with the 16" wheels and higher sidewall tires if you are really arthritic. Many XJR owners swapped in the regular dampers anyway because of the cost of replacing the adaptive dampers.

Last edited by pdupler; 04-30-2024 at 09:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
03_jaaag (05-14-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 03:09 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

FWIW I have a 2002 XJ8 in British Racing Green with Oatmeal interior and 113,500 miles that is for sale in Durham, NC. No rust. Based on my research here and replacing the valve cover, at least the upper timing chain tensioner on mine is the updated design. I had a CEL with intermittent restricted performance but it went away recently.

Here's my facebook ad:
Facebook Post
(EDIT: Just renewed post, it should work soon).

Last edited by CvryanWRX; 05-15-2024 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Updated link
Old 05-14-2024, 04:11 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by CvryanWRX
FWIW I have a 2002 XJ8 in British Racing Green with Oatmeal interior and 113,500 miles that is for sale in Durham, NC. No rust. Based on my research here and replacing the valve cover, at least the upper timing chain tensioner on mine is the updated design. I had a CEL with intermittent restricted performance but it went away recently.

Here's my facebook ad: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...7031833696196/ (EDIT: Just renewed post, it should work soon).
Looks clean I believe the suspension is in very good condition the car standing perfectly

CvryanWRX (05-15-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Silverjag0
Looks clean I believe the suspension is in very good condition the car standing perfectly
Thank you, the dampers were replaced with KYBs by the previous owner. Along with regular maintenance, the headliner has also been replaced so it presents nicely.

Silverjag0 (05-15-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 07:26 AM

Facebook Post

The link doesn't want to behave in my original post but it does work in @Silverjag0 reply.

Old 05-16-2024, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 451 Likes on 371 Posts

Looks like a nice ride. I like the BRG.