XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Modifying radio

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2021, 01:47 AM
Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Modifying radio

So I bought my 2002 X308 when we still lived in Kansas City, USA. So mine is an American specced Jaguar.

I took it back to my home country the Netherlands in 2012 and I am still using it today. The one thing that has been annoying me is the radio. I know the US FM tuning is different from the European ones. Which in practise has meant that I have poorer reception on some local stations. In all it is not a huge thing. But as it so happens one of my favourite stations is just about impossible to tune into.

Does anybody know if it is feasible to modify the radio receiver from US to European Spec?

Thanks

Jeroen

Old 06-25-2021, 03:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,442 Likes on 898 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeroen;2408541=
Does anybody know if it is feasible to modify the radio receiver from US to European Spec?
Hello Jeroen and welcome aboard,
Just spit-ballin' here (whatever that means) but IIRC, channel separation varies from USA to ROW.
I would think that local purchase/swap with a proven European unit would solve your issue.
Others may post otherwise, but we have not managed to get used NAS units to work effectively here.

Best wishes,

Old 06-25-2021, 09:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 885 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeroen
I know the US FM tuning is different from the European ones.... But as it so happens one of my favourite stations is just about impossible to tune into.
See the attached document on how to change the country setting. You should see other options like EUR, AUS etc. If there is no EUR, then select AUS, it is the same as EUR. I changed the setting on a radio I bought on Ebay, from the US, and it did not have EUR option so I just selected AUS and the re-setting worked.

Attached Files
The following 4 users liked this post by M. Stojanovic:
cat_as_trophy (06-26-2021), grandell (06-30-2021), Jeroen (06-26-2021), wesmc2 (06-27-2021)
Old 06-26-2021, 01:45 AM
Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by M. Stojanovic
See the attached document on how to change the country setting. You should see other options like EUR, AUS etc. If there is no EUR, then select AUS, it is the same as EUR. I changed the setting on a radio I bought on Ebay, from the US, and it did not have EUR option so I just selected AUS and the re-setting worked.
Thanks every so much. I just tried it, my unit did have the EUR option (as well as the AUS). Worked a treat. I now receive all (Dutch) channels perfectly! Had to re-tune my iPod Modulator, but that is working too.
Very happy with the result. I wish I had asked this question before.

So many thanks for your reply!

Originally Posted by cat_as_trophy
Others may post otherwise, but we have not managed to get used NAS units to work effectively here.
You might want to try this procedure. Worked perfectly for me!
Good luck.

Jeroen

Old 06-26-2021, 03:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,442 Likes on 898 Posts

Hahaha . . .

Which just proves that, after all these years (and 3 or 4 binned US import radios) there is plenty we can all still learn.

Given your delight at having a radio to enjoy, I'm sure that like me, you will want to give [M. Stojanovic] a nice big like as a 'thank you'?

Cheers,