XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Moisture on rear passenger carpet

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 10:15 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Thumbs down Moisture on rear passenger carpet

Hey Everybody!

With the cold weather the windows on my 2001 Jaguar XJ8 have been getting fogged up overnight, or after being parked for a short period of time (all windows). I had a crack in my front windshield but just had it replaced ($1,800), thinking it would fix the moisture issue. After having it replaced the guy told me he noticed moisture on the rear passenger floor.

Does anybody have any idea where this moisture may be coming from? Where could water be leaking in?

The carpet below the floor mat in the rear right passenger is where there is a bit moisture. It's not excessive, quite minor..but it needs to be fixed!! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails Moisture on rear passenger carpet-img_2880.jpg   Moisture on rear passenger carpet-img_2887.jpg   Moisture on rear passenger carpet-img_2894.jpg  
Old 12-17-2012, 11:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,367 Likes on 1,075 Posts

it's a long shot but there's a series of bodyshell drain holes that have bungs glued into them in the floorpan, one of these bungs could have let water in, I think there's one in that area, you'll have to get underneath to check it out.
Not sure if the sunroof could also leak into this area if the drain port is blocked also, they're tucked up behind the front inner wheel arch cover - a straightened coat hanger might dislodge any blockage. What's the condition of the underside of the car like, it looks to be in great condition, but you never can tell about the underside...

The following users liked this post:
holybananas (12-18-2012)
Old 12-18-2012, 06:14 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Rust.

Hi,
It would be a good idea to check under the carpet for any signs of water, if the carpet is wet underneath then it will not be long before the floor rust's through! It's not possible to just lift the carpet and have a look due to the sill (rocker panel) protectors, to remove these the stainless steel strip, with Jaguar on it, needs to be removed in order to be able to get at the screws. The strip is held in place with double sided tape, I managed to remove mine with an old chisle, but any sort of thin blade should do, just be very careful and go steady, a hot air gun might help soften the adhesive. Once the strip is off clean the old tape/glue off and you will see the screws. There are 3 screws holding the front sill protectors on and 5 holding the rear ones, once the the screws are removed along with the sill protectors the carpets can be lifted enough to check for dampness etc.

The major killer of cars is RUST especially where it's out of sight.

Hope this helps.

The following 2 users liked this post by v8mad:
holybananas (12-18-2012), popeye68 (05-20-2013)
Old 12-18-2012, 10:26 AM
Received 283 Likes on 176 Posts

The main reason why the floor gets wet, is the drain below the windshield. Many people aim to park under the trees in the hot weather, to protect the car and themselves from the sun. Trees ALWAYS drop sapplings, leaves, and everything else they have on them,.....add to that the dust, pollution, and gunk from the exhaust of the trucks you drive behind, and that drain is sometimes plugged solid. Water will find it's way to the ground, and in the case of the car, it will end up on the floor.

Taking the grill below the windshield off, will reveal the way the water is supposed to be drained to the ground. Open it up, and clean everything squeaky clean.

I also own newer S class Benz, and they are notorious for flooding the floor (and S.A.M. modules, which some "smart" kid designing this car, placed ON THE FLOOR!), if the drain is plugged.

Your problem can be easily solved by checking (and cleaning) all the drains. And you don't want to miss the sunroof drains (or you will be in a need of a new headliner)!

holybananas (12-18-2012)
Old 12-18-2012, 06:04 PM
Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

I second all the comments of the Drain areas. Clean them all, and don't miss the one at the Fuel Filler neck.

And I had to comment on the Windshield price. $1800??? I did mine last year at a cost of $240ish installed. It was barely under my deductible, so I paid cash. I'm guessing you used factory Jaguar glass?

I was shocked how cheap mine was, but it included the sun shade and everything. Never chipped or cracked again. (I just sold it almost a week ago)

holybananas (12-18-2012)
Old 12-18-2012, 06:53 PM

SuperSport,

Thankfully it was covered under insurance so I only had to pay the $200 deductible. The total cost of the new windshield with installation and tax was just over $1,800...I couldn't believe it either. Was yours heated as well?

Old 12-18-2012, 06:54 PM

Thanks for all the replies! I'll check all the drains and report back!

Old 12-18-2012, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by holybananas
SuperSport,

Thankfully it was covered under insurance so I only had to pay the $200 deductible. The total cost of the new windshield with installation and tax was just over $1,800...I couldn't believe it either. Was yours heated as well?
No heat, and no automatic wipers, I'm sure that was the difference. But, OUCH if you didn't have insurance for that.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:01 PM
Received 1,425 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Do you have a sunroof? I would check those drains (all 4) as well for debris and blockage...

Old 12-27-2012, 06:31 PM

Hey all,

I haven't had a ton of time to check into the cause of the moisture over the holidays, but I did just notice today that the left rear side is wet as well. Quite a bit more wet than on the right side.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:39 PM

I've attached a bunch of photos of the sunroof. Could somebody point out exactly where the drains are?

Also you will notice there is moisture in & around the mechinisms of the sunroof. Is this normal or a red flag that it is leaking? The headliner is not affected at all. Just the rear carpets are experiencing wetness. **I don't know why they posted so small. If anybody would like to see the larger copies please let me know!

Attached Thumbnails Moisture on rear passenger carpet-photo1-1-1_zps15fa1057.jpg   Moisture on rear passenger carpet-photo3-2_zps9c554e15.jpg   Moisture on rear passenger carpet-photo4-1_zps023075af.jpg   Moisture on rear passenger carpet-photo2-2_zps7aa419a7.jpg   Moisture on rear passenger carpet-photo5-1_zpsdd276c63.jpg  

Old 12-27-2012, 08:25 PM

I didn't have a leak on mine, but my understanding is that the sunroof is NOT waterproof. It is designed to allow water through the seal and it drains out of the drain tubes. You can actually see sunlight through the seal if you look at it during the day. I'm guessing the drain tubes are either plugged, or disconnected somewhere. I'm sure someone else will chime in here and be of more help.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:31 PM
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

yes certainly all of the above are possibilities......i had a similar problem on my 85/xj6.....but front passenger side which was ac related....but soon after developed a rear headlinerLeak)...issue.....which i replaced.....and solved that problem....

the long and the short of it is this.....eventually and over time these cars will begin to take on water....window seals dry/shrink....drainage plugs/wholes-clog etc.....

having learned my lesson on my 85,.....my other cats are always covered or in my garage...as i don't use my jags as everyday drivers.....i cover them....its a pain in the but...having to put the covers on and off or pulling in and out of garage....but i have gotten use to it...

i go a step further....(which i am in the process of doing right now)....i take off insurance in the winter and do not drive them at all.....i don't see the point of driving them around in snow and slush...and winter weather....around may.....i put the insurance back on and am ready for a new driving season and jaguar "meets" i attend

don't recommend for everybody but this works for me!

Old 12-27-2012, 10:52 PM

Thanks for all the replies! Upon further inspection this may not even be sunroof related. Here's a picture of the driver side rear door just past the Jaguar door plate. Water is clearly getting in here. Door seals?

Attached Thumbnails Moisture on rear passenger carpet-photo2-2_zpsf654fc41.jpg  
Old 12-27-2012, 11:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Good find.

It could be wicking along the welt.

If you find that it is the door seal not seating fully, you could try lubricating the mating surface with silicone spray. What this does is to allow the seal to squirm into position when closing so that the correct position is achieved.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 318 Posts

if you rub some chalk around the rubber seals and shut the doors, spray with a hose or chuck a few buckets of water over the car when you open the doors the chalk will have washed away from the area that is letting by. you then at least have an idea on how to remedy the leak[s]

Old 12-28-2012, 11:01 AM
Received 283 Likes on 176 Posts

In this case I would check the waist seal on this door (outer AND inner window seal), and the drainage holes on the bottom of the door.
How does the bottom of your door pannel look?