XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Mongoose Pro J2534 Diagnostics Cable??

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 03:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mongoose Pro J2534 Diagnostics Cable??

So I came across this while trying to find someone or something in the Cleveland area that could take care of my ecm issue. Is anyone familiar with or have used a kit and/or cable from jlridssddmongoose.com?? Currently trying to flash a ecm to my 98 xj8 Jaguar Dwight!! Thanks in advance

Old 12-06-2017, 03:48 PM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts
Old 12-06-2017, 07:17 PM

Thanks, really appreciate it. I seem to keep seeing "jaguar models 99 and up" but also I notice on the mongoose site I referenced above thatits compatible with 98s. Customer service even said so, but you know how that goes.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:45 PM
Received 8,075 Likes on 4,870 Posts

Why do you need to 'flash' the ECM??
There was a concern in 1999 through April 2001 and I did a few back then. (TSB 303-35 amended)

There is also a procedure to perform an 'immobilization-setup' if you want to install an ECM to the X308/X100 CAN bus. Every time you swap an ECM, it must be configured to the car.

They are two distinctly different operations.

The IMMO setup takes a few seconds but the 'REFLASH' is a longer process.

What is your "ECM issue"??

bob

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
303-34am ECM Replacement.pdf (225.4 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by motorcarman; 12-07-2017 at 09:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Sean B (01-16-2018)
Old 12-06-2017, 08:08 PM

Thanks Bob, ECM was fried, had it tested and everything. I have a second ecm that I matched up all the numbers including the vcats for. I took that 2nd ecm along with the car of course to the dealer and they were unable to get it to shake hands for some reason. So Im still trying to see what I can come up with. Stuck in Cleveland with no good jaguar contacts and a beautiful car that wont move.

motorcarman (12-07-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 09:16 AM

Maybe the dealer guy did not know what he was doing???
You might call around to see if any local shops have WDS, IDS AutoLogic etc.
You just need 'immobilization-setup' to allow the ECM to join the network.

bob

Old 12-07-2017, 09:22 AM

So thats all I need?? The immobilization setup? Nothing further? So when I call around tell them I need a immob setup ran by a ids/wds system?? No flashing needed? Remember the ecm is from another vehicle. Thanks in advance, you have no idea.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:20 AM

The ECM already has all the software you need. It just needs to be introduced to the other modules on the CAN bus.

I swap modules sometimes when I think a faulty ECM might be the cause of an issue. I had a faulty ECM that had PERMANENT VVT DTCs. A replacement module made the car 'happy' again.

The application is in the SETUP and CONFIGURATION part of the diagnostic software.
I look for an inexpensive ECM (like $60 with shipping) so if it is no good, I am not out much money. Salvage yards have many but people don't realize that they are NOT 'plug&play'. Salvage yards probably get them returned because they won't work as shipped without IMMO setup and people just think it's BAD and return it.

bob

sayitaintso (01-15-2018)
Old 01-15-2018, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by motorcarman
The ECM already has all the software you need. It just needs to be introduced to the other modules on the CAN bus.

I swap modules sometimes when I think a faulty ECM might be the cause of an issue. I had a faulty ECM that had PERMANENT VVT DTCs. A replacement module made the car 'happy' again.

The application is in the SETUP and CONFIGURATION part of the diagnostic software.
I look for an inexpensive ECM (like $60 with shipping) so if it is no good, I am not out much money. Salvage yards have many but people don't realize that they are NOT 'plug&play'. Salvage yards probably get them returned because they won't work as shipped without IMMO setup and people just think it's BAD and return it.

bob
Thanks for the help, right now I am trying to find a power supply to use while running the immob setup. Jaguar recommends the Midtronics PSC-550S. Will a AC/DC Electronics RS12N13.5 do the job safely?? Thanks in advance, if you were in Cleveland I'm sure we'd be Buddies!

Old 01-15-2018, 09:45 AM
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcarman View Post

bob
Thanks for the help, right now I am trying to find a power supply to use while running the immob setup. Jaguar recommends the Midtronics PSC-550S. Will a AC/DC Electronics RS12N13.5 do the job safely?? Thanks in advance, if you were in Cleveland I'm sure we'd be Buddies!

Attached Thumbnails Mongoose Pro J2534 Diagnostics Cable??-img_2090.jpg  
Old 01-15-2018, 08:07 PM

Many people 'poo-poo' using simple battery chargers but that is all we used at the Jaguar dealer in the early 2000s. Jaguar Tech Line simply advised us to keep the battery voltage UP as we configured modules. No specific brands or other specs!!!!!!!!!!! JUST KEEP THE BATTERY VOLTAGE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then as the procedures got longer and more complicated as well as modules/networks became more 'sensitive' the 'Clean-Power-Source' directive was issued.

Just because something is recommended does NOT mean it is required.

If you have a clean power source, use it. If all you have is a battery charger, USE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bob

Old 01-15-2018, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by motorcarman
Many people 'poo-poo' using simple battery chargers but that is all we used at the Jaguar dealer in the early 2000s. Jaguar Tech Line simply advised us to keep the battery voltage UP as we configured modules. No specific brands or other specs!!!!!!!!!!! JUST KEEP THE BATTERY VOLTAGE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then as the procedures got longer and more complicated as well as modules/networks became more 'sensitive' the 'Clean-Power-Source' directive was issued.

Just because something is recommended does NOT mean it is required.

If you have a clean power source, use it. If all you have is a battery charger, USE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bob
Much Appreciated!! Let you know what happens.