XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

motor im programm

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 10:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default motor im programm

so the thing with my cars engine is when turn ignition it does turn but doesn`t start and after comes up engine error light in German language "motor im programm".
can only get it started when engine is cold in the mornings after driving for a while when stopped it doesn`t start again

P1517 Cranking Neutral/Drive Fault and i have this Fault

thanks

Old 04-13-2017, 10:12 AM

"motor im noprogramm"

Old 04-13-2017, 10:45 AM
Received 8,120 Likes on 4,901 Posts

Do you want the display language Deutsch??

You can choose from several languages in the display.

bob

Old 04-13-2017, 11:00 AM
Received 145 Likes on 92 Posts

Hi, that's the signal for me as a German to chime in ;-)
"Motor im Notprogramm" means the dreadful "engine failsafe mode"...
First, can you tell us what car you have and if you did sth before the issue occured?
When in a non-start situation, does it help when you put the car into neutral and try to start it then?
Sounds like the parking switch is misaligned. Or like an oily transmission connector sleeve.
Best regards, Alexander

Old 04-13-2017, 11:37 AM

ok, i will try to start it tommorow in neutral

i have jaguar xj x308 sovereign 4.0, 209 kw, 1998 year

Old 04-13-2017, 03:26 PM

Then look here: http://jagrepair.com/images/AutoRepa...ent%201998.pdf for explanation concerning the DTC.

The following users liked this post:
KasparsS (04-13-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 10:01 AM

Hi! Just tried trick you suggested putting car in neutral and then stated it. Every time starts like a charm so I guess it's parking switch. Is it hard to fix, can I do it myself? Many thanks!

Old 04-14-2017, 01:23 PM

Hi! Just tried trick you suggested putting car in neutral and then stated it. Every time starts like a charm
Great to hear! So you got a workaround, at least until you fixed the issue.
so I guess it's parking switch. Is it hard to fix, can I do it myself?
Can't tell. But first, I'd pull the transmission connector coming from the transmission controle module (TCM) and check for oil in the connector. The O-rings sometimes are reported to fail, so that ATF can enter the connector causing DTCs go haywire.
See here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-engage-70147/. Cleaning the connector solved the P1517 DTC. The 4.0 XK8's and XJ8's share the same transmission, except of the R-models. Since the connector is cheap to get, I'd highly recommend to renew it instead of just cleaning it.
I'm not familiar with the ZF5HP box, but I think you'll have to drain the transmission oil prior checking the connector. Otherwise the ATF will leak through the connector jack. Gives you the chance to change the fluid, filter and transmission pan gasket.

Concerning the parking switch I unfortunately don't have any experience - hopefully forum member Daim will chime in. He just rebuilt his ZF box - so maybe he got any ideas concerning the switch (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...cement-179577/).

Cheers, Alexander

Old 04-14-2017, 02:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts

The problem isn't the dreaded interior switch but the side mounted position sensor. That is what is going wrong here. The rear plug (as Alex mentioned) has nothing to do with the position of the selector. Only the solenoids in the tranny as well as the speed sensors.

When you move the selector, you manipulate the position of the inside this. As said, get under the car, look at the side (right hand side) mounted sensor. Feel the connector above the tranny on the back of the engine and check have someone move the selector lever whilst you measure continutiy. I assume the P position is not working. New switches aren't that expensive.