XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Muffler delete question

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 05:46 PM
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Muffler delete question

So, after some thought I'd like to do a muffler delete (much like the Mina Gallery set up) but I am not wanting to spend that much money, so I am just going to remove the mufflers and replace with some straight pipe, I am curious though will this create any back pressure issues?

Also, to confirm the exhaust pipe on the xj8 is 2.25 inches?

Thanks

Old 04-12-2016, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,795 Likes on 1,317 Posts

There are a couple of threads on this, one in particular where a member did as you are wanting (I'm also thinking of it) and posted a video on it if I recall correctly? Do a search on YouTube for XJ8 muffler delete and lots of vids will come up.

Old 04-13-2016, 06:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,067 Likes on 821 Posts

I would do what the xk8 guys are doing which is install an X pipe where the single forward muffler is and delete the 2 small mufflers just before the axle with same diameter pipes. It sounds really good but not too loud either.

Old 04-13-2016, 06:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,357 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Depends what kind of sound you want - there is a danger of cabin boom.

I'd not bother with the X pipe, OK on a GT/Sports car but on a saloon? This part is resonated and keeps the cabin quiet and cordial - The 2 before the axle are likely candidates, as are the last ones after the axle under the rear bumper.
My car had a Paramount system that's done away with the pre axle mufflers.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Sean B
Depends what kind of sound you want - there is a danger of cabin boom.

I'd not bother with the X pipe, OK on a GT/Sports car but on a saloon? This part is resonated and keeps the cabin quiet and cordial - The 2 before the axle are likely candidates, as are the last ones after the axle under the rear bumper.
My car had a Paramount system that's done away with the pre axle mufflers.
I am not looking for overly loud, I want something throaty and aggressive but not super loud I'll wake the whole neighborhood. From what I have heard about doing the X pipe it causes a lot of cabin droning. I can survive with a little drone (car has a bit of cabin drone around 1500 RPM). I have a Mina Gallery aluminum ram intake, and I plan to have the TB bored also. I am looking at removing the two large ones after the rear axle just before the rear bumper. Mostly I am hoping to get a little more baritone/throaty rumble at idle and a pleasant sound whilst accelerating. It sounds good now when you really get on it due to the ram intake, but I'd like to help the system sound better

Old 04-13-2016, 09:00 AM
Received 104 Likes on 78 Posts

Straight pipe rear mufflers with 2.25" like I did here and on about 4 other x308/x100s over the years. Just cut the straight muffler section after the rear most bend post axle and replace with 2.25", any body with a welder, sawzall, and a pulse can do it. I charge $80 for aluminized pipe and labor included using existing tips. Stainless pipe is a $130 soup to nuts. Sorry don't do premade kits

The following users liked this post:
thelegend0210 (04-29-2024)
Old 04-13-2016, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by greverrr
2002 XKR take off with rear mufflers removed - YouTube
Straight pipe rear mufflers with 2.25" like I did here and on about 4 other x308/x100s over the years. Just cut the straight muffler section after the rear most bend post axle and replace with 2.25", any body with a welder, sawzall, and a pulse can do it. I charge $80 for aluminized pipe and labor included using existing tips. Stainless pipe is a $130 soup to nuts. Sorry don't do premade kits
Did you lose any low end torque or top end power or is that just a myth? I honestly know very little about exhaust systems, but I am going to be putting on some oval rezistanz exhaust tips from Adamesh on. I do not plan on welding anything (just yet) likely just going to flare the pipe and clamp it.?

Since you have done it the same way I am planning, what did you do about the exhaust hangers?

Old 04-13-2016, 10:02 AM
Received 448 Likes on 333 Posts

Install electric exhaust cut outs like I did, my threads are here with install pics if you search.

Complete flexibility to go from quiet to loud and everything in between, cost is modest too.

Back pressure? Loss of torque? A little, maybe, but these mods are about fun not power in my opinion.
Vector

Old 04-13-2016, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Vector
Install electric exhaust cut outs like I did, my threads are here with install pics if you search.

Complete flexibility to go from quiet to loud and everything in between, cost is modest too.

Back pressure? Loss of torque? A little, maybe, but these mods are about fun not power in my opinion.
Vector
I'll take a look! My goal is to be budget friendly! Would like to do it all under $300 (cost of Mina set up)

Old 04-13-2016, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Bcrary3
I'll take a look! My goal is to be budget friendly! Would like to do it all under $300 (cost of Mina set up)
DIY, the cut outs are about $400 or so, a bit over your budget, but the flexibility that comes with the set up is hard to beat!
Vector

Attached Thumbnails Muffler delete question-10-motors.jpg  
Old 04-13-2016, 10:42 AM

DIY, the cut outs are about $400 or so, a bit over your budget, but the flexibility that comes with the set up is hard to beat!
Vector
I don't think I've ever seen a jag that clean underneath! Haha, no issues with corrosion due to where the exhaust is coming out?

That's actually a really interesting set up, I may consider doing something like that.

Currently I am considering doing the muffler delete of the aft most mufflers before the rear bumper, and doing an X pipe where the resonator is after depending on the sound. The ram intake makes it sound much better (due to getting more air) but I want to show that power of this vehicle.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:44 AM

I don't think I've ever seen a jag that clean underneath! Haha, no issues with corrosion due to where the exhaust is coming out?
None, and they have been installed for 4 years. I also don't run with them open all the time, my neighbors would have a fit!

She is garage kept and babied too, lol!
Vector

Old 04-13-2016, 10:46 AM

None, and they have been installed for 4 years.

She is garage kept and babied too, lol!
VEctor
Mine has been a Wisconsin car it's whole life! Haha, do you have any audio clips of what it sounds like?

Old 04-13-2016, 10:55 AM

Mine has been a Wisconsin car it's whole life! Haha, do you have any audio clips of what it sounds like?
No, because it is so variable. Open a little it sounds aggressive, more and it sounds mean, full open = race car!
Alden

Old 04-13-2016, 02:02 PM
cdc
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I removed the rear mufflers on my car and did get cabin boom which I didn't like it was pretty annoying when at a constant speed. However I had a pair of resonators from a newish 5.0 Mustang just lying around so I welded them in and now I get minimal drone.

The car does sound good when I get on the gas and has a nice idle tone.

Old 04-13-2016, 02:37 PM
Received 104 Likes on 78 Posts

I use 3/8" rod and bend and weld as needed for hangers but they make plenty of universal hangers that you can make work without welding for sure. Flared/expanded pipe and clamp will work just fine as you mentioned.

Old 01-12-2018, 09:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi all - I'm bumping this thread with my own experience for the benefit of future visitors, after coming across it while considering deleting the mufflers on my 2001 VDP.

I removed the rear mufflers easily just by loosening the clamp, grabbing the muffler, and shaking it back and forth until it came loose. No loss of power whatsoever (I drive hard).

I was surprised by how quiet the sound was after driving it for a few days, so I added exhaust tips to get the exhaust closer to the ground:
Amazon Amazon
Turbo Baffle Stainless Steel Exhaust Tip with Adjustable Tailpipe Inlet 1.5"-2.50" T-304 Stainless Steel 1.5-2.25" ID x 3.5" OD - they were easy to clamp on using just an 8mm wrench - this really made a difference, the sound is more growly but still so mild it's hard to hear much of the time.

No boom, no drone. And it can actually be seen from behind the car. It was fun and easy to do, I could easily reach the work from the ground without lifting the car, and it would be easy to undo as well. If you're thinking about doing this, go ahead and try it - you have nothing to lose.

Here's how it looks.

mh.anthony6 (04-02-2021)
Old 01-12-2018, 10:22 AM
Received 260 Likes on 210 Posts

In my opinion, I'd pipe the tips back up to the cutouts. It just looks way off to me, seeing the back end like that - cutouts in the bumper cover completely void, and the tips tucked way under there.

Good to hear the sound update and lack of drone though. It's on my to-do list for summer this year, finally.

mh.anthony6 (04-02-2021)
Old 01-12-2018, 06:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,795 Likes on 1,317 Posts

I'm with Charlz, ....looks empty without the pipes in it.

Old 01-12-2018, 07:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,352 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by bcinguu
Hi all - I'm bumping this thread with my own experience for the benefit of future visitors, after coming across it while considering deleting the mufflers on my 2001 VDP
Interesting solution, but frankly speaking, this is not the way I should / have done it, I think the look is rather hideous from the rear.

I installed electric cutouts just before the mid mufflers instead, offering the same kind of growl (bypassing the mid and end muffler, so a bit more than you have).
Retaining the look of the car, and being able to have the Vanden Plas silence at the push of a button.

Quick Reply: Muffler delete question