XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

My 00' XJR Refresh

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 06:37 PM
Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean B
A good time to call in the LED upgrade
anyone have a good LED bulb or brand to recommend?

Old 01-27-2013, 09:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How is the refresh coming?

What a fantastic thread. I have a quartz 03 and have been thinking about blacking out chrome, adding a spoiler like the later ones and getting rid of the leaper. Other than the blakout Have you done any of those mods?

Old 01-29-2013, 10:53 PM
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

I like the leaper! and the car is stock other than the trim I've done... I've been working on the full detail periodically as the weather is horrible and some of the pads I bought crapped out on me pretty quick.

Other than that I washed her today haha, fresh oil change is next.

Old 04-27-2013, 05:55 PM

Well since I decided to keep her I have been putting some more detail work in on it... I really hope I can find all the pictures I've took... Got some goodies on the way and ill update with pictures once I get it all on

Old 04-27-2013, 06:21 PM
Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

I'm on the fence whether or not to sell my 01 XJR. I did list it on the forum but no bites (is it a sign from above). Car has close to 89k miles, is in pristine condition. I'm racking up about 500 mies per week and feel that if I'm to get the best money, this is the condition and mileage to do it at. However, every time I think about selling the car while driving it I wonder what else in the world can I buy for $10k that would come close to this car. The answer is nothing! If I'm to keep the car I will install the lower pulley. That will give the grunt I want in mid range. I thought about Avos TS kit... But for now I'll be happy with extra 50hp where it counts...

The following users liked this post:
XJR Prototype (04-27-2013)
Old 04-27-2013, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Tirefriar
I'm on the fence whether or not to sell my 01 XJR. I did list it on the forum but no bites (is it a sign from above). Car has close to 89k miles, is in pristine condition. I'm racking up about 500 mies per week and feel that if I'm to get the best money, this is the condition and mileage to do it at. However, every time I think about selling the car while driving it I wonder what else in the world can I buy for $10k that would come close to this car. The answer is nothing! If I'm to keep the car I will install the lower pulley. That will give the grunt I want in mid range. I thought about Avos TS kit... But for now I'll be happy with extra 50hp where it counts...
I feel exactly the same... but mine has 120k on it! Absolutely no problems but the gas cap is throwing an CEL... gotta get a new one it's bugging me haha.

I like this car over the 740i i had for sure.... she's kinda quick when it's cold out haha.. a little scary sometimes... my intercoolers are clean and working.

Old 04-27-2013, 06:37 PM

OK... maybe ONE pic of the trunk so far....thats it for now

Attached Thumbnails My 00' XJR Refresh-img_0042.jpg  
Old 04-27-2013, 07:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just read this from start to finish. Good work, the 3M carbon fibe works better than I thought it would. The black border on the rear light looks good, the matt red paint on my lights has flaked off in places and I was toying with spraying them black. Your pics have confirmed my thoughts that it would look good so I'll add it to my to do list!

XJR Prototype (04-27-2013)
Old 04-27-2013, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 423 Posts

Hey TireFriar,

I have been having that circular argument with myself ever since I bought the XK8- I want an XKR, but I do not want to part with my XJR..it's just too...perfect for me.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by giblet
Just read this from start to finish. Good work, the 3M carbon fibe works better than I thought it would. The black border on the rear light looks good, the matt red paint on my lights has flaked off in places and I was toying with spraying them black. Your pics have confirmed my thoughts that it would look good so I'll add it to my to do list!

I'm waiting on an email from the guy that has the chrome trim rings... but I think i want the shifter peice too... is it the same as the XKR? The 2 button one...

Once those are on it will look factory

Old 04-27-2013, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by dsnyder586
Hey TireFriar,

I have been having that circular argument with myself ever since I bought the XK8- I want an XKR, but I do not want to part with my XJR..it's just too...perfect for me.
Big D, I know you love your XJR. I recall you telling me that its perfect just the way it is. I agree but I do get a mod itch with every car that I own (except my wife's 328 that will end up going off lease in 6 months). If I can get 50 hp safely with a reversible mod, I'm game.

Right now my biggest issue is keeping the miles down on my XJR. Hate wasting this car sitting in traffic on the way to work. Going back is better as I get to stretch its legs with 80-90 mph shots. However, with so many miles being racked up, service comes at shorter increments contributing to cost of ownership while the car takes the mileage depreciation hit.

Hence the decision to sell it right now while the mileage is still reasonably attractive. However, I'm not in the desperation mode. If I don't sell it for what I want and end up going over a 100k mi, the real fun will start.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by XJR Prototype
OK... maybe ONE pic of the trunk so far....thats it for now
That's what is called a mirror finish

Old 04-28-2013, 11:11 AM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I would recommend instead of lower pulley having your S/C rebuilt and having them machine so to accept a 3lb stainless pulley, high flow cats, Borla exhaust. I removed the intake and had a guy design a mandel bent intake/weld piping 3.5" from the TB. I kept the stock air box. I have this set up and not sure of HP gain, but my 98Xjr can breath now and it sounds amazing

Originally Posted by Tirefriar

Old 04-28-2013, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 279 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Rlover
I would recommend instead of lower pulley having your S/C rebuilt and having them machine so to accept a 3lb stainless pulley, high flow cats, Borla exhaust. I removed the intake and had a guy design a mandel bent intake/weld piping 3.5" from the TB. I kept the stock air box. I have this set up and not sure of HP gain, but my 98Xjr can breath now and it sounds amazing
Rlover, I would also suggest adding an additional inlet to the air box as I think the single stock snorkel to the fender has become your bottleneck. I added a 2" tube to the front of my air box and noticed a difference. The later 4.2 air boxes have this upgrade already, so even the engineers noticed the need and did it.

Mine goes to my fog light hole, but even running a short hose to behind the headlights would yield a noticeable improvement

Attached Thumbnails My 00' XJR Refresh-2013-04-28-11.56.47.jpg  

Last edited by WaterDragon; 04-28-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Rlover
Why would the s/c need rebuilding?

Upper pulleys will give you 1.5 or 3.0 psi, depending on the pulley and will require machining the s/c snout - the upper installation process is much more complex and less reversible than the lower pulley.

My car is an 01 4.0L XJR. The lower pulley will give me 4.5 psi or about 50 hp in the mid range, just where I need it for passing. The lower pulley mod is relatively straight forward and is completely reversible.

If I was going to rebuild the s/c, I would have Owen at Pasadena Motor Cars port it just like he did on his own car.

I would like to see more pics of your intake set up.

Modding the exhaust doesn't really yield noticeable hp. It does produce a nicer growl, but IMO not worth investing the $$.

On "budget unlimited" I would go for Avos T/S S/C kit without second thoughts. However, the California State lottery is still denying me my dream so here's the mods I would address:

-Lower S/C pulley
-Reworked intake
-LSD
-Blue tips

Reliability is key. Anyone is welcome to share their thoughts or add to the list.

XJR Prototype, sorry for pirating your site. However, maybe you'll find this useful as well.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:38 PM

Oh I already know all this stuff And will update this thread when i get to all those things you mentioned... this car is basically a toy for me.

BTW you need to see how small the exhaust is over the axles haha... gotta be gains in there somewhere!

Tirefriar (04-28-2013)
Old 04-28-2013, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by XJR Prototype
Oh I already know all this stuff And will update this thread when i get to all those things you mentioned... this car is basically a toy for me.

BTW you need to see how small the exhaust is over the axles haha... gotta be gains in there somewhere!
Nothing against upgrading the exhaust. I read somewhere on this forum that exhaust upgrade yields minimal hp gains. It is more of an aesthetic upgrade. As such, it is really a personal choice whether or not you want to give your jag that extra growl sound.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:06 PM

Lets just say I'm a happy guy today...

I couldn't beat the price vs mileage on this set

Attached Thumbnails My 00' XJR Refresh-img_0052_zpsb5f25c18.jpg  
Old 05-03-2013, 06:29 PM

Hey XJRP - while we were on the topic of mods, how about this one: Maxbore.com throttle body boring service and repair
The prices are incredibly reasonable. This may couple well with the less restricted exhaust. If Im reading it right, boring out the TB and upgrading exhaust should yield some noticeable gains, no?

Old 05-03-2013, 07:02 PM

I got most of the hood and the bumpers done today... brakes are on and feel incredible with the SS lines... I noticed a difference immediately... but my old ones were needing changed in the rear. Ill post complete pictures soon.

If anyone needs stock XJR calipers I have a full set

Quick Reply: My 00' XJR Refresh