XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

My "big cat's" long winter nap

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 06:52 PM
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Default My "big cat's" long winter nap

Wow !!! You you guys/gals wouldn't believe how cold it has been here in Boston. BRRRRRRRRRRRR
At the Thanksgiving holiday , I stored my 2003 XJR in a clean four car storage garage ( there are 3 other classic cars stored there) in a far away suburban Boston location and "critter proofed it" against ( mice, rodents, squirrels, etc ( always a potential disaster here in New England ) .

I visited my "baby" last weekend and was pleased to find that there were no animal invasions. After much research , I had found that , believe or not, placing "Bounce " dryer fabric softener sheets throughout the interior of the car along with trunk and engine compartments keeps the critters away..( they hate the smell) Also as a backup. I loaded trhe engine compartment and some in the trunk with moth *****.... another aroma that rodents hate,,,,, then finished off with some "DECON" feed trays at each wheel.. So far so good . Steel wool stuffed in the exhaust pipes along with steel wool stuffed into the air intake ( front right wheel intake)

So now my question comes to the incredibly knowledgeable people that are on this site ....
The "Wake Up"....I disconnected and pulled the massive Interstate battery and have been trickle charging it since Nov.

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions as to what to expect /do when I re-install the battery in April ?
After 5 months, is there anyway to gently awaken the "big cat" ( like spinning it first before it fires up to let some oil circulate ?
Thanks for any and all recommendations

Ron Simmons
Boston Ma
2003 XJR ... anthracite/charcoal

Old 01-22-2014, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,819 Likes on 2,246 Posts

It would not be a bad idea to remove the fuel injection solenoid and turn it over to get some oil pressure, or just hold the gas pedal to the floor, which disables the injectors. Be advised that there have been several reports of fuel pump failure on cars stored for months. I hope you are not included in that group.

The following users liked this post:
D. Fite (01-22-2014)
Old 01-22-2014, 08:00 PM
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

It is cold here in Ohio too, but most likely not as cold as there. I also store mine for winter and have not had any problems so far. My garage doesn't get real cold and I use a trickle charger on the battery that I leave in. I used to fog my engines for storage but I'm afraid it may cause a problem with my Jag so I don't do it. I think I'll knock on wood anyway just in case I jinxed myself.
Dave

Old 01-23-2014, 01:30 AM
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

My 2003 super v8 is also in storage here in Utah. It's in a large climate controlled warehouse with boats, RV's, wave runners, etc. In fact, my car is sitting next to someone's Porsche boxter and a Ferrari so, she fits in with the crowd. Battery is on a trickle charger too. I called the company holding her and they said she's totally fine. They started her up a week ago and took her for a brief spin for about 20 mins and they said she ran beautifully so, I'm hoping In April or may I can pick her up and have her throughout the summer. It's my first time storing her, but I think it's wise. I'll let you know how it goes.