XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

My driver door handle cable issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 11:20 AM
Received 56 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Jaguar XJ8 driver door handle cable issue

So my door handle was no longer opening my driver door so I set out to replace the cable. Got everything apart and pulled out the cable to see that it was holding on by a couple of strands on both ends. Good, so indeed it was the cable. Installed a new one without having to remove the latch by using a dental mirror to seat the latch end of the cable. Put everything back together feeling proud of myself and tried to open the door. It opened as soon as I started to move the interior handle. Without unlocking the power locks. And it wouldn't lock at all. The silver button would not retract either by pushing on it or by using the remote. Hmmmnn. Then yesterday I tugged on it and it seemed to give a bit and the door locked using the remote. But was still acting up when I tried to open the locked door from the inside. It wouldn't open... Had to use the remote to unlock the driver door.

So... Is my cable too taut to allow the actuator to work properly? Does one install the cable with the door in the locked position? Or unlocked position? Or does it even matter? Do I have a short cable? Like maybe they send me a rear door cable by mistake?

Anyone done this cable repair and have similar issues?

Thinking of ordering another cable this time from Welsh and see if indeed it was a cable too short problem. I don't see any way to adjust the cable- both ends just slide into their semi circle slots...

Thanks for any help anyone can give me on this one. Might as well replace the exterior door handle gasket while I am back inside the door.

Last edited by Lord Donnington; 01-14-2016 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Title change
Old 01-14-2016, 09:27 PM
Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Your driver and front passenger door latch cable should be 20-7/8" in length. I would suggest you undo everything and pull the latch out itself, lubricate everything and check there is no binding and reinstall carefully. Based on what you are describing, it sounds like the anti-pick shield is binding the door lock rod / button. If you installed properly, when you pull the door handle, it takes up the slack and then it pops after it travels about 30 degrees. It should unlock and release the latch.

The following 2 users liked this post by XJR Pilot:
dneider (04-07-2018), Jhartz (01-18-2016)
Old 01-17-2016, 12:40 AM

My cable was 3/8" too short!!
Ordered a cable from Welsh this time and it will probably be the correct length and function properly. Installed a new exterior door handle gasket while I had the door apart. That sure wasn't tea and crumpets...Piece of advice: disconnect the battery! I had to quickly extricate my arm as all four windows suddenly lowered as I fiddled with the door lock.

Yikes!

Originally Posted by XJR Pilot
Your driver and front passenger door latch cable should be 20-7/8" in length. I would suggest you undo everything and pull the latch out itself, lubricate everything and check there is no binding and reinstall carefully. Based on what you are describing, it sounds like the anti-pick shield is binding the door lock rod / button. If you installed properly, when you pull the door handle, it takes up the slack and then it pops after it travels about 30 degrees. It should unlock and release the latch.

The following users liked this post:
Jhartz (01-18-2016)
Old 01-24-2016, 01:21 PM
Default Door handle cable fixed!

The proper length cable from Welsh arrived and fit perfectly.
My driver window pack was acting funny after I put it all back together: the driver window lowered only when I pushed the right rear window button. None of the other driver door pack buttons lowered the other Windows. Seat memory still worked however. A hard reset fixed it immediately.

Now on to the replacement of the spider hoses... And a coolant flush.