XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

My First XJ pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017 | 09:21 PM
|
Default My First XJ pics

Purchased this 2000 model with 75k on it. In very nice condition.
A couple issues of coarse but nothing to big at the moment.

Issue 1 when I turn the signal on all the lights go it for a second. Guessing this is
Loose wiring in the switch but you guys can chime in.

Second I seem to have a small coolant leak as I can smell it. I have not located it yet though.

Attached Thumbnails My First XJ pics-img_2932.jpg   My First XJ pics-img_2934.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Don B (08-23-2017)
Old 08-15-2017 | 09:35 PM
Veteran Member

Nice ! Coolant leak for most including myself was in the brittle plastic thermostat housing & outlet pipe, remedied w/ the aluminum upgrade from Welsh.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (08-15-2017)
Old 08-16-2017 | 01:45 AM

welcome to the forum, nice looking car. as for the lights, you could be on trac about a loose connection, I am sure someone with a bit more knowledge than me (only bought mine last year) will chime in and help

Old 08-16-2017 | 01:53 AM
Veteran Member

Few things to keep in mind for a nice long XJ8/VDP life:

1. Replace plastic thermostat housing (and thermostat!) with aluminium one. Should cure the leak. The front crosspipe should be replaced with a new one at the same time as they are just as brittle as the thermostat housing.
2. Replace the rubber hoses in the V at the same time. They are most likely also leaky or at least dried out.
3. Got any details on the timing chain tensioners? If not, take the driver side valve cover off and check. If old style made of plastic, replace them all. Will save you from an expensive engine overhaul after a chain jump a tooth.
4. Replace tranny main pressure valve with Transgo valve. Will save you from an expensive repair.

These are the 4 most important parts on the XJ which really need to be kept in mind. The XJR/Super V8/Supercharged have slightly different points.

If all of these parts are replaced or even if the engine was replaced some time ago, great. If not, put them on your priority list and then at the top

Old 08-16-2017 | 02:24 AM
Veteran Member

+1 on what Daim suggests, it's worth investing a small amount of time and money in these points to save yourself a lot more money and heartache further down the line.

I'd also consider taking those chrome strips off the rear lenses, they're not doing the car any favours.

Old 08-16-2017 | 02:31 PM
|

Originally Posted by Daim

1. Replace plastic thermostat housing (and thermostat!) with aluminium one. Should cure the leak. The front crosspipe should be replaced with a new one at the same time as they are just as brittle as the thermostat housing.
2. Replace the rubber hoses in the V at the same time. They are most likely also leaky or at least dried out.
3. Got any details on the timing chain tensioners? If not, take the driver side valve cover off and check. If old style made of plastic, replace them all. Will save you from an expensive engine overhaul after a chain jump a tooth.
4. Replace tranny main pressure valve with Transgo valve. Will save you from an expensive repair.

These are the 4 most important parts on the XJ which really need to be kept in mind. The XJR/Super V8/Supercharged have slightly different points.

If all of these parts are replaced or even if the engine was replaced some time ago, great. If not, put them on your priority list and then at the top

Thanks I will take care of these items asap.
I see the transgo valve on eBay so that's any easy find.
Any recommended parts source for the hoses tstat and housing ?

Old 08-16-2017 | 02:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by wrightbenz
Thanks I will take care of these items asap.
I see the transgo valve on eBay so that's any easy find.
Any recommended parts source for the hoses tstat and housing ?
Originally Posted by King Charles
Nice ! Coolant leak for most including myself was in the brittle plastic thermostat housing & outlet pipe, remedied w/ the aluminum upgrade from Welsh.

Welsh Enterprises, Inc - Jaguar XJ8 (98-03) Engine Engine Block Parts - Aluminum Thermostat Housing Kit - XJ8 XK8

Last edited by King Charles; 08-16-2017 at 02:59 PM.
Old 08-16-2017 | 10:35 PM
|

I had a look at the plastics tstat housing. I take it the crossover pipe just gets replaced with a plastic piece ? It all looks pretty good really but I get it looks can be deceiving.

Old 08-16-2017 | 11:14 PM
Veteran Member

I had a look at the plastics tstat housing. I take it the crossover pipe just gets replaced with a plastic piece ? It all looks pretty good really but I get it looks can be deceiving.
Pipe part #'s AJ85885 I got mine off E-Bay seller "partscontainer". Mine looked fine as well, until I replaced knock sensors & saw the dried coolant residue @ the base of the t-stat housing. It was weeping @ the seam, out of sight until you started digging.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jaguar-Vande...item2381b47f19

Last edited by King Charles; 08-16-2017 at 11:17 PM.
Old 08-18-2017 | 12:27 AM
|

Originally Posted by King Charles
Pipe part #'s AJ85885 I got mine off E-Bay seller "partscontainer". Mine looked fine as well, until I replaced knock sensors & saw the dried coolant residue @ the base of the t-stat housing. It was weeping @ the seam, out of sight until you started digging.

Jaguar Vanden Plas XJ8 XJR XK8 Engine Outlet Coolant Pipe w/ Sensor OEM AJ85885 | eBay
And the valley hoses where do I find those for sale ?
That looks like a bit more work but I'm guessing they get cooked under there.

Old 08-18-2017 | 12:55 AM
Veteran Member

And the valley hoses where do I find those for sale ?
That looks like a bit more work but I'm guessing they get cooked under there.
I found all mine on E-Bay w/ the seller I linked above.

Old 08-18-2017 | 02:44 AM
Veteran Member

I bouggt my hoses (valley) directly from Jaguar... They weren't much more expensive than the rest.

Old 08-22-2017 | 10:11 PM
|

I bouggt my hoses (valley) directly from Jaguar... They weren't much more expensive than the rest.
anyone have a link for a diy of the valley hoses. They look to be the biggest PITA of all that is meantioned. Well other than the timing chain work.

Old 09-22-2017 | 09:25 AM
|

What type of fluid are people using for these boxes ?
What does the transgo valve do for me ?

Old 09-22-2017 | 10:44 AM
Veteran Member

Lots of threads of fixing the leak at the cross over pipe (fragile), hoses and hose clamps; TST housing can be difficult to remove and restore (but lots of threads to make it easier). Pretty straight forward: might as well change the TST and water pump while you are at it. I had bad luck with water pumps: AC Delco was good.

Intermittent wiring is harder: you have a loose wire on the multifunction switch. Again lots of threads on how to remove the steering wheel and how to get at the switch. You will need the wiring diagram (in the stickies or Google it: I have posted it maybe ten times as has Bob Goff and others). A pencil thin soldering iron and at least three hands . . . . I had a set of medical suture tweazers for my third and fourth hand. But solved the problem.

Daim's Transmission fix is a good idea on this year model, but it is an expensive fix unless you are good at it with the right lift and tools. Maybe just wait until the box blows and get it rebuilt then. Price is about same, I think.

Whatever you decide to do, do not delay checking on the secondary tensioners. A MUST fix, unless you have paperwork that shows it has been done. An easy check. Tons of threads on how to do it and the cautions.

Once all of these issues are resolved, an exceptional car: I wish I had kept mine.

Last edited by Jhartz; 09-22-2017 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-22-2017 | 11:55 AM
Veteran Member

Re: the ZF gearbox, it has a well known issue regarding the solenoid valve block, valve wears a groove in the block, jams and leads to a pressure spike that busts a circlip holding the A drum - a driveline bang and it's trans rebuild - the kit can stop this by replacing the valve and seal. Much cheaper than a rebuild.

If you can do the job yourself it's just basic oil service stuff like fluid, filter and pan gasket - remove the valve block and offending valve, replace and refit with the kit. It's doable on axle stands in the driveway. Alternatively book it in to get the trans serviced and give them the kit to fit. Either way is a lot cheaper than waiting for it to happen, and it certainly will.

The timing job is easy done with the correct tools like crank puller and cam locking - loads of advice on the job, some have even used the zip tie method (in a pinch and knowing what you're doing). Fingers crossed when you remove a cam cover, they're already done.

The indicator stalk issue - another fault that gets more threads as these cars get older, it's 99% the wiring coming out of the stalk tube onto the steering wheel pcb, I've done auto lights, auto wiper, indicators etc and the 25-40W pencil tipped soldering iron fixes this as advised.

Methodically working through the bushes front to back once these jobs are done - then you can sleep at night knowing it's as it should be. You asked the right question at the right time.

Old 09-22-2017 | 01:28 PM
|

Originally Posted by Sean B
Re: the ZF gearbox, it has a well known issue regarding the solenoid valve block, valve wears a groove in the block, jams and leads to a pressure spike that busts a circlip holding the A drum - a driveline bang and it's trans rebuild - the kit can stop this by replacing the valve and seal. Much cheaper than a rebuild.

If you can do the job yourself it's just basic oil service stuff like fluid, filter and pan gasket - remove the valve block and offending valve, replace and refit with the kit. It's doable on axle stands in the driveway. Alternatively book it in to get the trans serviced and give them the kit to fit. Either way is a lot cheaper than waiting for it to happen, and it certainly will.

The timing job is easy done with the correct tools like crank puller and cam locking - loads of advice on the job, some have even used the zip tie method (in a pinch and knowing what you're doing). Fingers crossed when you remove a cam cover, they're already done.

The indicator stalk issue - another fault that gets more threads as these cars get older, it's 99% the wiring coming out of the stalk tube onto the steering wheel pcb, I've done auto lights, auto wiper, indicators etc and the 25-40W pencil tipped soldering iron fixes this as advised.

Methodically working through the bushes front to back once these jobs are done - then you can sleep at night knowing it's as it should be. You asked the right question at the right time.
Thanks for the Info. What trans fluid are people using on these ?