XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Is my fuel leak coming from my filter? [VIDEO]

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2023, 02:03 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Is my fuel leak coming from my filter? [VIDEO]

Hello all, I posted a few days ago about a leak on my x308. Until today was I able to take a look under the car and try to find where it was coming from. The fuel lines and everything looks dry, except the filter. I have linked a video below so you can all see for yourself.

Thanks.

Old 08-03-2023, 06:32 AM
Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by ericnunez
Hello all, I posted a few days ago about a leak on my x308. Until today was I able to take a look under the car and try to find where it was coming from. The fuel lines and everything looks dry, except the filter. I have linked a video below so you can all see for yourself.

Thanks.

https://youtu.be/3PW1LLr_dOA
There are orings in those connections. Suggest replacing them

The following users liked this post:
ericnunez (08-03-2023)
Old 08-03-2023, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
There are orings in those connections. Suggest replacing them
Why not just replace the whole filter?

Old 08-03-2023, 10:20 AM
Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Why not just replace the whole filter?
Sure, replace the filter if you haven't, but the o rings dont come with the filter.

ericnunez (08-03-2023)
Old 08-03-2023, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 866 Likes on 714 Posts

And why open a second thread to the same issue?

Old 08-03-2023, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 410 Likes on 342 Posts

The leak occurs on the inlet side so my first thought is that it is
clogged causing restriction and thus higher pressure than should
be on the inlet side, The O rings are a "no brainer" when replacing
the fuel filter.

ericnunez (08-03-2023)
Old 08-03-2023, 01:36 PM

Replace the O rings, got it. But okay, so the leak is 100% coming from the filter area? No question?

Old 08-03-2023, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Jhartz
And why open a second thread to the same issue?
Sorry, but nobody was responding to my previous thread, I believe it's because it got overlapped with new ones.

Old 08-04-2023, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by RandyS
The leak occurs on the inlet side so my first thought is that it is
clogged causing restriction and thus higher pressure than should
be on the inlet side, The O rings are a "no brainer" when replacing
the fuel filter.
Will do, but the leak is 100% coming from the filter (not the fuel lines, pump, etc.), correct?

Old 08-04-2023, 01:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 410 Likes on 342 Posts

Pressurized fuel line leaks tend to spew, not drip, so it appears your leak is
occurring at the inlet side of the filter. The only way to know for sure is to
replace the filter and o rings and find out.

ericnunez (08-04-2023)
Old 08-04-2023, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by RandyS
Pressurized fuel line leaks tend to spew, not drip, so it appears your leak is
occurring at the inlet side of the filter. The only way to know for sure is to
replace the filter and o rings and find out.
Well everything around the filter is bone dry, quite literally. I'm just wondering if maybe the fuel was leaking on the outside of the filter pipes, coming from somewhere else. But will do! Speaking of fuel, how do I siphon it out, do you know? I tried taking it out of the tank but it just won't come out. Even with a pump. It should come out because I have around 12 gallons in there.

Old 08-04-2023, 10:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 398 Likes on 296 Posts

There are cheap "transfer pumps" on the market for that purpose.
However, I am not sure, if you need to empty the tank, if you swap seals and filter fast enough - but but all means, try if you can get the fuel out with a transfer pump.
Your video suggests what everyone else if writing: It's the seals (well, if there were seals to start with - I work on different Jags all the time, and I do not know, if you are supposed to have seals there - if not, you simply have not fastened the nut there firmly enough - which could also be the case, if you do have a seal in there.
You mentioned above a "high pressure" and a "low pressure" side of the filter. Well: It's just a filter! If the filter is not utterly clocked up, there shouldn't be much of a pressure difference between the "in" and "out"...
I'd say, change a fuel filter every 40.000 to 80.000km.

PS: But change a fuel filter immediately, if you figured out that your fuel had gone bad (fuel can get old and sticky after several month). In that case remove all the fuel, hope, your fuel pump has not died yet, and change the fuel filter.

Last edited by Peter_of_Australia; 08-04-2023 at 10:54 PM. Reason: added PS
ericnunez (08-04-2023)
Old 08-04-2023, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Peter_of_Australia
There are cheap "transfer pumps" on the market for that purpose.
However, I am not sure, if you need to empty the tank, if you swap seals and filter fast enough - but but all means, try if you can get the fuel out with a transfer pump.
Your video suggests what everyone else if writing: It's the seals (well, if there were seals to start with - I work on different Jags all the time, and I do not know, if you are supposed to have seals there - if not, you simply have not fastened the nut there firmly enough - which could also be the case, if you do have a seal in there.
You mentioned above a "high pressure" and a "low pressure" side of the filter. Well: It's just a filter! If the filter is not utterly clocked up, there shouldn't be much of a pressure difference between the "in" and "out"...
I'd say, change a fuel filter every 40.000 to 80.000km.

PS: But change a fuel filter immediately, if you figured out that your fuel had gone bad (fuel can get old and sticky after several month). In that case remove all the fuel, hope, your fuel pump has not died yet, and change the fuel filter.
Thanks for the input! The O-rings really are a required component on this model and year. I have found a single one for $14 on eBay so they are rather expensive. Right now I am trying to figure out whether or not I really need a Jaguar brand ring or if a generic one is fine.

As for draining the tank, from what I've heard, fuel will leak whether or not you drain the tank or not, as there will be fuel in the return system still. The best you can do is remove the rear left wheel to access and remove the filter from the left side, AFTER de-pressurizing the fuel system.

I dont think the gas in there is old, previous owner was using the car on the daily and so was I as soon as I got it. And no worries! Will definitely change the filter. It appears it hasn't been changed ever.

Once again, thanks!

Old 08-05-2023, 12:22 AM
Veteran Member

I use O-ring seals made from NBR material for A/C lines, and those same rings are also used for contact with oil and/or fuel.
I have a whole box of those. There are really cheap. They are green coloured.
I bought them on Aliexpress.
Seals are required all the time for everything. I had enough recently that I have to wait a long time for every single seal and apart from the box, I bought now pretty much all sizes up to 32mm diameter and above. Of course there are different CS (corss-sections) as well, but I mainly stuck with 2.5mm, and some 2mm, All on Aliexpress. Of course generic. What's the point of a Jaguar branded O-ring? All it is: A generic O-ring sold by Jaguar...

ericnunez (08-05-2023)
Old 08-05-2023, 01:37 AM
Received 211 Likes on 144 Posts

I have found a single one for $14 on eBay so they are rather expensive. Right now I am trying to figure out whether or not I really need a Jaguar brand ring or if a generic one is fine.
This fuel filter was used on a lot of GM cars of the era. Apparently, Dorman 800-013 includes the pair of o-rings, about $6 on rockauto.

ericnunez (08-05-2023)
Old 08-05-2023, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by 944play
This fuel filter was used on a lot of GM cars of the era. Apparently, Dorman 800-013 includes the pair of o-rings, about $6 on rockauto.
I will look for this, you're sure this is the right size too? I found a whole kit of assorted size o-rings at AutoZone, just don't know which one is the right size, so I don't want to purchase it for now.

Old 08-05-2023, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Peter_of_Australia
I use O-ring seals made from NBR material for A/C lines, and those same rings are also used for contact with oil and/or fuel.
I have a whole box of those. There are really cheap. They are green coloured.
I bought them on Aliexpress.
Seals are required all the time for everything. I had enough recently that I have to wait a long time for every single seal and apart from the box, I bought now pretty much all sizes up to 32mm diameter and above. Of course there are different CS (corss-sections) as well, but I mainly stuck with 2.5mm, and some 2mm, All on Aliexpress. Of course generic. What's the point of a Jaguar branded O-ring? All it is: A generic O-ring sold by Jaguar...
You're right, do you know if those aliexpress seals are durable? Or, will a "Jaguar-brand" one last longer.

Old 08-05-2023, 08:59 AM
Received 211 Likes on 144 Posts

I will look for this, you're sure this is the right size too?
Not sure. Google some part numbers and you'll likely make the same inference, though.

ericnunez (08-05-2023)
Old 08-05-2023, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member

As I wrote before: I assume that, if you buy a Jaguar branded O-ring, you just buy the same O-ring, that you can buy from China directly, just heaps more expensive. Jaguar does not manufacture O-rings. And Tata-Jaguar most definitely does not manufacture Ford-Jaguar O-rings... How wrong can a seal made of the correct material in the correct size be? Sure; The one thing they do not have in China most of the time is a quality control department - so you just buy 10 seals, do the QC yourself (visual inspection) and possibly throw one away. I actually just had a seal with a bit of a manufacturing damage in my hands yesterday. So what? Flick it and take the next one...

ericnunez (08-05-2023)
Old 08-05-2023, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by 944play
Not sure. Google some part numbers and you'll likely make the same inference, though.
Will do, thanks.

Quick Reply: Is my fuel leak coming from my filter? [VIDEO]