XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Is my fuel leak coming from my filter? [VIDEO]

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2023, 09:29 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter_of_Australia
As I wrote before: I assume that, if you buy a Jaguar branded O-ring, you just buy the same O-ring, that you can buy from China directly, just heaps more expensive. Jaguar does not manufacture O-rings. And Tata-Jaguar most definitely does not manufacture Ford-Jaguar O-rings... How wrong can a seal made of the correct material in the correct size be? Sure; The one thing they do not have in China most of the time is a quality control department - so you just buy 10 seals, do the QC yourself (visual inspection) and possibly throw one away. I actually just had a seal with a bit of a manufacturing damage in my hands yesterday. So what? Flick it and take the next one...

You're absolutely right. I guess I just had the notion of "always buy from the dealership" still stuck in my head. Let me see what I can find online and thanks for all your help.

Old 08-05-2023, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 417 Likes on 305 Posts

As I wrote before: I checked the internet and NBR rubber seals are also gasoline resistant.
That's the 530 pcs. box I started with (before I also bought a whole lot of bigger seal for whatever will hit me in the future):

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...d=GBx72mMP5v6v

I would like to think that whatever size your seals are, that should be in the box.

I added a picture of the box with NBR seals, as I am sure that that link above will not works anymore after a few month or years.

Last edited by Peter_of_Australia; 08-05-2023 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Added picture
The following users liked this post:
ericnunez (08-05-2023)
Old 08-05-2023, 10:03 AM

As I wrote before: I checked the internet and NBR rubber seals are also gasoline resistant.
That's the 530 pcs. box I started with (before I also bought a whole lot of bigger seal for whatever will hit me in the future):

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...d=GBx72mMP5v6v

I would like to think that whatever size your seals are, that should be in the box.
Awesome thanks. I have also seen Amazon has 200-400 pcs. o-ring kits that are fuel resistant. Those would work too right? They have all kinds of sizes.

Old 08-05-2023, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, probably. I do not know, what Amazon offers. Here in Australia Amazon is might un-attractive mainly due to postage costs and I think they only accept credit card, which means entering credit card details into the internet, which is a no for me. I pay with paypal.

ericnunez (08-06-2023)
Old 08-06-2023, 01:22 AM

Yes, probably. I do not know, what Amazon offers. Here in Australia Amazon is might un-attractive mainly due to postage costs and I think they only accept credit card, which means entering credit card details into the internet, which is a no for me. I pay with paypal.
Alright, this is what I found at my local car parts shop.

Does this look adequate? I put some of the O-rings in the filter, and one side uses a larger ring than the other. I feel like that already means the filter won't fit on the Jag, as the two sides are the same size on the original filter? Or am I wrong? Thanks.

Old 08-06-2023, 01:29 AM
Veteran Member

You bought a universal fuel filter? I thought you are trying to buy OE parts where possible...
While it really does not matter regarding the seals (provided you have the right sizes - which is easiest achieved by buying that whole box), I would have done an extended research, which filter is right for my car - starting with finding out the OE part number, and if you can't get that exact same part, do research, which replacement filter can be used ilo. the OE filter. But buying the next best universal filter was not a good idea.
Even regarding a choice between several filters, which could fit, I did on my car further research as to the quality of the different brand names of possible filters...

ericnunez (08-06-2023)
Old 08-06-2023, 01:46 AM

You bought a universal fuel filter? I thought you are trying to buy OE parts where possible...
While it really does not matter regarding the seals (provided you have the right sizes - which is easiest achieved by buying that whole box), I would have done an extended research, which filter is right for my car - starting with finding out the OE part number, and if you can't get that exact same part, do research, which replacement filter can be used ilo. the OE filter. But buying the next best universal filter was not a good idea.
Even regarding a choice between several filters, which could fit, I did on my car further research as to the quality of the different brand names of possible filters...
Well I have bought Duralast filters for my other cars and they work decently well, I just didn't think this one through. Will definitely look into getting the OEM option. How do I know if the seals are "the right size"? I mean, do they have to be super tight in there? Kinda loose?

Old 08-06-2023, 04:16 AM
Received 213 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by ericnunez
How do I know if the seals are "the right size"?
When I said you'd probably arrive at the same determination that I did, I suppose I was implicitly hoping you'd come across this article, which is the first result when I Google "wix 33481 o ring".

ericnunez (08-06-2023)
Old 08-06-2023, 05:54 AM
Veteran Member

I think all I know is that your Jag is a X308. More info? Year? 3.2L? 4.0?

OK, I think it does not matter - X308s are from 1997-2003
i.e. you fuel filter should probably be Fuel Filter NMD6091AC
The OE P/N for the O-rings is: Fuel Filter O Ring ESR259
2 of those O-rings are required, i.e. 2 identical ones.

Other than that, I would have bought that box with seals, bought a new fuel filter, would have chosen all possible options of O-rings from that box (base on what fits onto the new filter) and placed them all handy, would have removed the old filter, where at least 1 O-ring should still be on there, compare the sizes of the old with the new, put the new ones on the new filter and would then have assembled...

OK - long list - apparently the following are all fuel filter you could use - so take your pick and do a bit of research regarding quality of the brand you choose in the end:

Last edited by Peter_of_Australia; 08-06-2023 at 06:09 AM.
ericnunez (08-06-2023)
Old 08-06-2023, 10:08 AM

I think all I know is that your Jag is a X308. More info? Year? 3.2L? 4.0?

OK, I think it does not matter - X308s are from 1997-2003
i.e. you fuel filter should probably be Fuel Filter NMD6091AC
The OE P/N for the O-rings is: Fuel Filter O Ring ESR259
2 of those O-rings are required, i.e. 2 identical ones.

Other than that, I would have bought that box with seals, bought a new fuel filter, would have chosen all possible options of O-rings from that box (base on what fits onto the new filter) and placed them all handy, would have removed the old filter, where at least 1 O-ring should still be on there, compare the sizes of the old with the new, put the new ones on the new filter and would then have assembled...

OK - long list - apparently the following are all fuel filter you could use - so take your pick and do a bit of research regarding quality of the brand you choose in the end:
It's a 4.0, and hmm, for some reason I can't see most of your response, all I see is a bunch of lines. But I did see the first few lines with the part numbers. Thanks, I will try to look for these parts now

Old 08-06-2023, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 582 Likes on 435 Posts

I actually just had a seal with a bit of a manufacturing damage in my hands yesterday. So what? Flick it and take the next one...

my method also. Cull them out for peace of mind. I also have a nice selection of green o rings. When i really need to be spot on with exact size i go to a website called mcmaster carr. They have never failed me with parts or handtools

Old 08-06-2023, 11:54 AM

Okay here's my plan, I'll swap the O-rings into the current filter until I can get my hands on a new one. To do so, I have to make sure all my gasoline doesn't spill out when I remove the filter. So, from what I have seen, there are two ways to do that. One, I completely drain the fuel tank, and there's three different ways to do that.

Two, I remove the fuel pump fuse and allow the engine to run until it shuts off due to no pressure in the gas lines. My question is, will removing the fuse put my car at risk for any other issues? Including damaging the pump? Or is this the way to go?

Old 08-06-2023, 12:45 PM
Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

You dont have to drain anything. Mine only dripped roughly a pint of fuel. They make plugs that you can put on the lines to limit drippage.

Good luck getting 2 wrenches in there, its tight. And do not overtighten the fittings as you'll damage the orings

Old 08-06-2023, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
You dont have to drain anything. Mine only dripped roughly a pint of fuel. They make plugs that you can put on the lines to limit drippage.

Good luck getting 2 wrenches in there, its tight. And do not overtighten the fittings as you'll damage the orings
I don't know man, I've heard of people on here losing more than 3 gallons while removing the filter. My drip pan isn't that large.

Old 08-06-2023, 02:33 PM
Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts
Exclamation OE Parts?

@Peter_of_Australia;2666875 you are a funny joey Peter !

OE parts for a car that is 20+ years old !?!

Manufacturers are only required to have parts for highly mass produced vehicles for 10 years past the date of last manufacture and that was 11 years ago as of this posting. Ford made or sourced all the parts for Jaguars until 2009 , and with any luck from standardization of the various models to Ford parts, parts cross over to other more higly mass produced Ford family venicles, and then TATA picked up the 2010 Ford designs that were in the design pipeline since about 2007 and carried that forward for at least 5 or more years,

Most Dealers clean out their stocks a couple of years after their last warranty service vehicle for the warranty expiration was registered, so for a 2003, sale that was circa 2008 or earlier. So New Old Stock for our low production number vehicles usually dissappears quickly from dealers with only aftermarket parts, other make/model crossover and NOS bagged parts located from scavengers and "classic" suppliers.

I was at my local JLR dealer parts counter a while back looking for an OEM Jaguar part for my '05 X350, and others for my '00 x308. Those parts were listed No Longer Supplied NLS with no stock anywhere at any Jaguar dealer. globally She found it on Ebay in advertised as NEW OE JLR unopened packaging, sent me the link for my to purchase directly. Now that is service. While I was there the shop manager came out to ask me of all people, a question about a x308 he had in the shop because it has been more than 10 years since he had one in the shop and that one back then was one of mine!

Anything else parts wise is definately going to be aftermarket, maybe with any luck from OE suppliers packaged in that manufacturers logo box.
So have a look at the OE part supplier list, I know it is somewhere on this forum, but also know that with low volume production vehicles the OE manufacturers will also not do production runs unless there is a demand for at least several thousand parts of a part number or that part number is still in use with a current model year.

For my filters, I stick with WIX, Mann or Denso, but for other parts it is a crap shoot.

Now off to find some upper to lower intake manifold gaskets for my X350, that arte not garbage aftermarket parts.

Old 08-06-2023, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member

@ Glenn: I know! My cars are all between 17 and 33 years old, one even 45 years. So I well know that OE manufacturers are only aiming at 10 years supply. I know that even more though as I worked for Ford and Jag, while my first job was with Motorcraft cataloging P/Ns (Motorcraft is owned and operated by Ford).
When I used the term "OE part" it was not supposed to be taken literally - it was a shorter way of taking reference to Eric's statement that he tries to by everything from the Jaguar dealer - and as there is not really a short word for "any part, which could have been bought anywhere, but was bought in this instance from a Jaguar dealer", I allowed myself to use the term OE part instead, and the part number I gave above as OE part number is the part number given on the Jaguarlandrover site. I hope this is clearer now. Maybe I should have written: "A filter from a well known brand" is preferred to a no name product.

@ Eric: Can you see meanwhile that long list of P/N I posted above? You wrote, you can only seem "lines". Shall I reformat and post again?
I obviously do not know all filters/brands in that list. But is most certainly contains some proper brand-names (and not a P/N from "Universal", which does not even have a brand name). And I agree with Glenn, that Wix is a good brand (I have researched them before). The Wix P/N is on that list.

ericnunez (08-06-2023)
Old 08-06-2023, 07:54 PM

@ Glenn: I know! My cars are all between 17 and 33 years old, one even 45 years. So I well know that OE manufacturers are only aiming at 10 years supply. I know that even more though as I worked for Ford and Jag, while my first job was with Motorcraft cataloging P/Ns (Motorcraft is owned and operated by Ford).
When I used the term "OE part" it was not supposed to be taken literally - it was a shorter way of taking reference to Eric's statement that he tries to by everything from the Jaguar dealer - and as there is not really a short word for "any part, which could have been bought anywhere, but was bought in this instance from a Jaguar dealer", I allowed myself to use the term OE part instead, and the part number I gave above as OE part number is the part number given on the Jaguarlandrover site. I hope this is clearer now. Maybe I should have written: "A filter from a well known brand" is preferred to a no name product.

@ Eric: Can you see meanwhile that long list of P/N I posted above? You wrote, you can only seem "lines". Shall I reformat and post again?
I obviously do not know all filters/brands in that list. But is most certainly contains some proper brand-names (and not a P/N from "Universal", which does not even have a brand name). And I agree with Glenn, that Wix is a good brand (I have researched them before). The Wix P/N is on that list.
Hello yes, I can see it only after I quoted you on it, it appears the font you choose for the P/Ns was a dark gray which became invisible on my browser as I have dark mode on. Out of all of these I have only found a few near me, and I chose the most expensive one I could find. $22. It's made by a company called Carquest. I have no idea if thats a good brand or not, but this filter does cost more than other ones so I'm *generally* assuming that it's higher quality. It's apparently tested for up to 98% efficiency at a 10 micron rating.

There are other cheaper filters near me, but definitely no WIX or Denso.

Old 08-06-2023, 08:27 PM
Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts
Post Fuel Filters

Originally Posted by ericnunez
Hello yes, I can see it only after I quoted you on it, it appears the font you choose for the P/Ns was a dark gray which became invisible on my browser as I have dark mode on. Out of all of these I have only found a few near me, and I chose the most expensive one I could find. $22. It's made by a company called Carquest. I have no idea if thats a good brand or not, but this filter does cost more than other ones so I'm *generally* assuming that it's higher quality. It's apparently tested for up to 98% efficiency at a 10 micron rating.

There are other cheaper filters near me, but definitely no WIX or Denso.
Oddly enough, I am performing a laundry list of repairs to my '05 x350 and while looking through my cabinet I found a Carquest PN 86481 filter that fits both my x308 and my x350 that I had as a spare. Happy because I'll be swapping my fuel pump on my X308 when I get my X350 off the lift and I do not have to run out and get one for that job, I have used them before with no issues.

If I recall correctly, it does not use O rings, but rather it uses copper washers as the sealing surfaces, but it oes not come with washers. I need to re-verify that, but that is what I recall as I have an assortment of new copper washers I thought I bought for that and other fluid sealing. I think the general guide for tightening is finger tight till snug then using dual srenches, another 1/4 turn for copper washers.

So you need to source the correect seals whether o rings or copper washers, but you will see that when you remove the old one.

Hope that helps

ericnunez (08-07-2023)
Old 08-07-2023, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by StagByTriumph
Oddly enough, I am performing a laundry list of repairs to my '05 x350 and while looking through my cabinet I found a Carquest PN 86481 filter that fits both my x308 and my x350 that I had as a spare. Happy because I'll be swapping my fuel pump on my X308 when I get my X350 off the lift and I do not have to run out and get one for that job, I have used them before with no issues.

If I recall correctly, it does not use O rings, but rather it uses copper washers as the sealing surfaces, but it oes not come with washers. I need to re-verify that, but that is what I recall as I have an assortment of new copper washers I thought I bought for that and other fluid sealing. I think the general guide for tightening is finger tight till snug then using dual srenches, another 1/4 turn for copper washers.

So you need to source the correect seals whether o rings or copper washers, but you will see that when you remove the old one.

Hope that helps
Thanks for the tips! And any chance you could verify whether or not it uses copper or rubber o-rings as seals?

Old 08-07-2023, 01:29 PM
Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

your car has rubber o-rings.

Quick Reply: Is my fuel leak coming from my filter? [VIDEO]