XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

My intercooling solution see if it works

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 10:12 AM
ud
Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts
Default My intercooling solution see if it works

Ok guys as we all know the intercooler system is not the best in our cars so I have designed this system both to fit and work amazing the intercooler exchange Im going with is this beauty by fluidyne 3 row design with 1 inch tubes a better design even over the aftermarket upgrade for our cars. Also nicely priced I didnt get it from here but even here its cheap, it will also fit perfectly and I also ordered one of these stand alone fluid holders in black and will be divorcing the heat exchanger from the engine coolant and upgrading to a better cobra or lightning pump. I will also add a fan tht will run at all times in frt of the intercooler when ignition is on. I will be putting a fan on the stock one sometime in the next few days just to see if this does any good I have a spare sitting around. I will testing temps with stocker, stocker and fan, and then with new intercooler system.

Attached Thumbnails My intercooling solution see if it works-fhp30-03cob-hx.jpg   My intercooling solution see if it works-lp-63492.jpg  
Old 06-09-2012, 11:31 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by XJR-0220
Ok guys as we all know the intercooler system is not the best in our cars so I have designed this system both to fit and work amazing the intercooler exchange Im going with is this beauty by fluidyne 3 row design with 1 inch tubes a better design even over the aftermarket upgrade for our cars. Also nicely priced I didnt get it from here but even here its cheap, it will also fit perfectly and I also ordered one of these stand alone fluid holders in black and will be divorcing the heat exchanger from the engine coolant and upgrading to a better cobra or lightning pump. I will also add a fan tht will run at all times in frt of the intercooler when ignition is on. I will be putting a fan on the stock one sometime in the next few days just to see if this does any good I have a spare sitting around. I will testing temps with stocker, stocker and fan, and then with new intercooler system.
Please take and post photos of the process (Whenever you do these mods/upgrades)

Lots of us are super interested in riding your coat tails

Last edited by Newby; 06-09-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:02 PM
Received 105 Likes on 54 Posts

Damn youz! I was just setting up the same mod. I was seeing what I needed to reposition to fit a GT500 Afco heat exchanger in it with the dual cooling fans. I was just on the way out the door to play with some rad hoses at my friends store to see the best way to eliminate the stock spider web of hoses. LOL

Keep up the good work man. Ill just kick back and duplicate it.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,068 Likes on 761 Posts

Remember, a thicker core will flow less air, and besides the intercooler, you still need some air to cool down the condensor and engine radiator. I wouldn't go thicker then 1 to 1.5"

Old 06-09-2012, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,936 Likes on 7,185 Posts

If anyone's interested....

Welcome to Jag-lovers - Members Photo Viewing Page

Cheers
DD

Old 06-09-2012, 12:33 PM
ud

Originally Posted by avos
Remember, a thicker core will flow less air, and besides the intercooler, you still need some air to cool down the condensor and engine radiator. I wouldn't go thicker then 1 to 1.5"
yes and no a thicker core will flow just as much air if designed properly and since this is not as tall it will be positioned lower opening up the rad for better cooling not to mention I am adding dual fans to make sure all get a good amount of air. Not to mention who needs AC lol oh wait I do hahahaha.

Laser we both can work on this and see which works and looks better so stop slacking LOL

I will take plenty of pics as I do this newby no worries

Old 06-09-2012, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Doug
If anyone's interested....

Welcome to Jag-lovers - Members Photo Viewing Page

Cheers
DD
So what was the functional result??

Old 06-10-2012, 12:03 AM
Veteran Member

This is what I bought a couple of years back to control the stock engine fans, but never installed, as my current setup just works:
http://autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=0589

With this device you can control the fans, so they will not be on all the time which is somewhat obnoxious or via a manual switch which isn’t really Jaguarish imho.

You can connect the temp sensor to the intercooler coolant, so it will only turn on the fans if a preset delta temp has been reached (i.e. 20 degrees above ambient for instance).

The following users liked this post:
XJR-0220 (06-10-2012)
Old 06-10-2012, 02:50 AM
ud

dam good idea Avos

Old 06-10-2012, 04:15 AM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello! Per here from sweden jumping in to this very interesting thread. XJR-0220, I saw your first thread about the inlet to TB, 3.5 version, that got me thinking about system in complete, just as you have apperently he he. Out of pure curiosety, have you recorded the normal operating temp of intercooler water temp before inlet air cooler core? I generally can't understand why JAG made such a good system but than let the whole benefits go down the drain with connecting it to enigne cooling system. Shoulden't it be a large gain (decrease of temp) just by divorsing it to enigne coolant circut, working as stand alone? Anybody tested with before and after tested temps as a result? As you might understand I am after hard facts before I will try to get a cost effective rebuild of the stock system he he. Thanks soo much for your very informative posts and thread!!!! It will be very very interesting to see the outcome of this total intake rebuild strategy! Cheers!

Old 06-10-2012, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 263 Likes on 203 Posts

Do you think this mod will get the charge coolers this cold?

Name:  killerchiller019.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  68.8 KB

Old 06-10-2012, 09:24 AM
ud

What did you do to them??? I dont see anything but beautifully polished intercoolers as for so I think this will be the ultimate only testing will tell.

I will install my temp gauges into the before and after areas and see how much it changes. I think just divorcing the system from the engine coolant will yield a substantial drop in temp. The tank I am gunna be sourcing is the unit cobra guys use and they see a significant drop in temps and they are already using a divorced system. The tank holds alot and between tht and the new exchange, not to mention we have bigger and better intercooler cores over the cobra, I think we should see a bigger drop. Add some good fans with custom air shrouds to direct air you got a well designed, high flowing, and superior system. If cobra guys can see such great performance with their overdriven 18+ boost roots and keep inlet temps down no reason why we cant as well

Old 06-10-2012, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by JgaXkr
Do you think this mod will get the charge coolers this cold?

someone close the window! That looks "killer" cold.

Obviously that is a pic of a Killer Chiller at work. You are also running a meth/water injection, right? I just ordered the Snow Stage II. Just curious if that is the same as you installed?

JgaXkr, was I correct in reading in one of your posts that you have a custom (larger) air meter?

Old 06-10-2012, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member

You are correct that is a Killer Chiller. The charge coolers are cold to the touch. Yes I have a larger 3.5" custom air intake. The air meter was also custom made.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member

There have been many posts regarding the supercharger cooling systems. They are common only in the fact it vents back to the engine coolant. The system I use is totally isolated & has a seperate resevoir as well. The coolant is pumped into the right side charge cooler then to left (as recomended by Rocketsports) the temp is monitered at this point (the hottest place) then to a second pump that feeds a holding tank (this replaces the supercharger radiator). The coolant then goes thru the Killer Chiller & then to the first pump. With this setup the coolant going in is at its coldest temp. With this setup under normal driving the discharge temp is right around ambient. When the car is under full load (app 18-20 psi the temp will rise to app 130 & then drop off as soon as I back off the boost. The amazing thing is how quick the coolant temp rises under boost & then cools off with the Killer Chiller. I am very curious as to see what temps this proposed system will show. I will be surprised if the discharge temp goes below 140.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by JgaXkr
You are correct that is a Killer Chiller. The charge coolers are cold to the touch. Yes I have a larger 3.5" custom air intake. The air meter was also custom made.

Cold to the touch....the Holy Grail of cooling

Last edited by Newby; 06-10-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XJR-0220
I think just divorcing the system from the engine coolant will yield a substantial drop in temp.
Waste of time and money, they just connect for pressure relief and to only have one coolant tank. Good design actually from Jaguar.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...cooling-15894/

If you want ot notice something, chiller killer is the way or methanol spray kits (or nos).

Old 06-10-2012, 03:27 PM
ud

I read the entire link you put up an trying to see where the proof is tht it is a "bad" idea. Only thing in the whole link is JgaXjr DID divorce the systems and add the chiller killer (which is a great idea) and has seen GREAT results. So while I value the input it seems, besides the absence of a chiller killer which being cheap I may just do anyway, the only one thts done it has not regretted it all and seen only good results.

I started looking into this core as well then the fans are already on it and it will still fit and its not as thick just more surface area as Avos said would be better. Shelby High Performance Heat Exchanger price for it runs round 799.00 but i found a company tht has them for less than half its suppose to be the best of the best.