XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

My kitty was abused!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 08:09 PM
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My kitty was abused!!!!

City recently repaved my street & left a deep crevice where my drive-way & the street connects(approx. 5-8 inches deep).As I backed out for the first time since the work, I heard a horrible crunch & my car stuttered to a stop & immediately showed "gear box fault" I parked it.. I inspected as best I could to see the front end's under tray to be torn,bumper loose w/ fog lights askew & some fluid from the middle to back underneath leaking. The car still shows "gear box fault" so I do not want to drive it.I have no ramps or jack stands to look at it better.

I called the city who promptly sent out a crew to repair the crevice.My neighbor will pull codes tonight or tomorrow for me.I'm really upset as I've never had a gear box fault until this paving ordeal??!?!

Car being it's age only has liability insurance so I contacted the mayor,city staff etc. They have forwarded my info. to their insurance claim person who is supposed to contact me asap.I took a picture of the crevice afterwards & will have the bottom of the car documented when I can get it raised.What could the damage be & I wonder what are my chances the city will cover???

Very bad Tuesday evening for me gentlemen.

Last edited by Swagguar; 08-08-2017 at 08:40 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:23 PM
Banned

Could someone here link me to pictures of our cars underside, I want to know what I am looking for and so forth. Cheers!

Old 08-09-2017, 01:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts

I doubt the transmission fault is related unless you bottomed out on the tranny sump.

Was there any fluid under your car?

Old 08-09-2017, 02:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Daim
I doubt the transmission fault is related unless you bottomed out on the tranny sump.

Was there any fluid under your car?
There was fluid pouring from under the car & trailing from the impact spot on the road.It was nighttime but it was transmission fluid.

Last edited by Swagguar; 08-09-2017 at 02:32 AM.
Old 08-09-2017, 03:31 AM
Veteran Member

Then you'be probably smashed the oil pan. Nothing really bad. It is only a tin metal plate in shape.

A new pan and at the same time a new Transgo pressure regulator valve with new ATF and filter and you're ready to go. DON'T start the car up! You risk major mechanical tranny damage. No ATF no lubrication. Clutches and gear and oil pump will burn up...

I dunno how it is over there, but my local councile won't cover that kind of damage, as you have to make sure your driving path, forwards as well as backwards, is clear and safe.

Old 08-09-2017, 05:20 AM
Received 113 Likes on 86 Posts

But the local councils workmanship and planning is to blame for the damage. It was caused as a direct result of the road being re-surfaced, and the access and egress to the home owners driveway was compromised.
It can quite easily be argued that until the works were carried out, the access and egress to said driveway was of a satisfactory condition, i.e. the dip between the road and driveway was not sufficient for the car to bottom out to such an extent that it caused damage.
Every person has a legal right to park their vehicle on their own property, whatever country you are from, and if you cannot do that because of local council works, then you should be compensated for the inconvienience.

Old 08-09-2017, 05:48 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by stevep10
But the local councils workmanship and planning is to blame for the damage. It was caused as a direct result of the road being re-surfaced, and the access and egress to the home owners driveway was compromised.
It can quite easily be argued that until the works were carried out, the access and egress to said driveway was of a satisfactory condition, i.e. the dip between the road and driveway was not sufficient for the car to bottom out to such an extent that it caused damage.
Every person has a legal right to park their vehicle on their own property, whatever country you are from, and if you cannot do that because of local council works, then you should be compensated for the inconvienience.
Different laws in different countires mate

I wasn't able to access my drive for 2 weeks. Had to park about 200 m away... Reason was my entire road was closed off for resurfacing. We got a message via post a month prior construction. And a reminder a week before. Designated parking areas were also set up.

What I am trying to say is that ot every place will compensate nor will it cover the damage. Herr in GERMANY (just to highlight it) it would be your own fault and stay your own fault.