XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

On to my Next Topic for the Vanden Plas: Sound System Upgrades!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 09:16 PM
Received 132 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by danielsand
I totally agree with this, but you ARE firearms collector like myself. IF I put the similar reference out (like your Leupold reference), people that are not "into firearms", would most likely not understand, and would ask additional questions and/or look it up on the web ("WTH this means"!?). I'm pretty sure there are not too many people on this forum that know what K98 is, and what scope should be mounted on one of them (Answer: "Enemy at the gates" guys, pay attention to Ed Harris), but something "as cheap as something for 20 bucks out of China" would be understandable. I did not mean to imply that your intended head unit is "cheap", or that it's worth 20 bucks. It's good unit, and it would fit into X308 "like a tit on a hen",.....LOL, how's this for comparison?
Point taken and I appreciate the movie reference as well. Undoubtedly the best German sniper of WW II vs the most cunning Russian sniper. Could have done without some of the "fluff", but there had to be more than just one vs the other.

I chose to leave the head init as-is for now, but the technological advancementments in sound distribution over the pas 11 years csnnot, and should not, be overlooked. I will do my homework for a month, or so, to determine what the best overall amp, tweeters, 2-ways, and subs will allow my aged head unit produce the best sound that it can.

I do no care if it is the loudest, just that the slightest high-hat tap can be heard when, if I choosechoose to increase the volune to elevated levels. Whether with company of equal taste or alone. I want to heard the sound if the music; not how loud it can go.

R,
RAGMAN!!!

Old 04-05-2014, 09:57 PM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

Sounds like a good mindset.
There are a few aftermarket sound processing options, like the RF 360.3, Audisson Bit1, MS-8, and a few others I can't remember off the top of my head. These will take your factory signal and 'clean it up' a bit, as well as letting you set the EQ and time alignment.

Spend your money on good front speakers, but also look into the install. A speaker is only as good as the space you put it in, and a set of small pods like I have, plus a sealed and deadened door will make a HUGE difference, plus it will be pretty simple for any audio store to do for you.

When it comes to amps, in general "a watt is a watt". You don't need to go overboard, but a lower end product from a great brand will still perform better than a top of the line unit from a cheap brand.

Here's what I mean about the speaker pod: click the pic for more details...

Attached Thumbnails On to my Next Topic for the Vanden Plas: Sound System Upgrades!-dsc05624_zps8c2e8cf8.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
ragman1171 (05-08-2014)
Old 04-06-2014, 02:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 474 Likes on 355 Posts

The Jaguar sound systems are actually very good, but they are at their best when listening to Classical music. That is what Jaguar use to "tune" their stereos, I listen to a lot of classical music and it sounds great in the XJ8. I don't know what they use now though, I am not a fan of modern Jaguar and their designs.
I will say this though, I had been using a 05 X Type daily, until I had my road to Damascus moment and jumped back in my X308, which had the premium sound system for that model installed with the touch screen etc. It was crap IMO because I have been listening to music I listen to almost daily, and I hear so much more in the X308 than in the X Type. By that I mean other instruments in songs, noises or effects or even other singers. I don't listen to music too loudly and my X308 does have the Alpine Premium system, but I think it works well.
As for the design of the stereo, I don't think there is much more they could have done given the technology of the time. They could've gone down the BMW 7 series route and offered a TV in the dash, but that would require more space which would compromise that beautiful shape of the ski slope on the XJ8. I think even the screen system in the X350 and X Types looks a bit too ugly, but I again am a classic guy.

I am going to fit an MP3 Aux socket at some point soon though, or possibly a bluetooth kit,it'd make life easier I would keep the screen for any kit hidden in the cubby box though.

ragman1171 (05-08-2014)
Old 04-06-2014, 10:32 PM

Thanks for the advice. It will be well considered. On the same top, but a bit off, would be small (7-10") self powered sub woofers in the trunk. I would find appropriate amplifiers and have them installed in discrete locations so as not to interfere with the aesthetics of the vehicle, of course. My thought processes, I have an extra tweeters, why should I not have extra woofers? I understand that I have the built-in woofers. But, if I am going to be upgrading the tweeters, then why not upgrade the woofers as well? Also, I am NOT able to locate any aftermarket subwoofers for this as well. Does anyone have any leads? I have been to crutchfield.com repeatedly with no luck. Opinions?

Old 04-13-2014, 08:39 PM
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't know about the H/K or Alpine premium factory radio's but the stock unit (as pictured by the OP is pretty bad IMO. The stock speakers are even worse. I also bought one of those adaptors and installed a late model Alpine CD receiver along with a Kenwood 4 ch amp in the trunk. To me, this will add to the value, not detract from it . 100 times better.

I also intsalled some Pioneer 6 3/4 mid/bass speakers and some Clarion tweeters I had laying around and they sound great. But there's practically zero deep bass. I'm not a "thumper' so I'm not going to install a truck sub but I do need to add something to fill in the bottom end.

But anyone who has a stock radio should see (hear) a huge improvement with a good aftermarket receiver. You may lose the cd changer and the (useless, in 2001 anyway) NAV but it was worth it to me.

ragman1171 (05-08-2014)
Old 05-07-2014, 03:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You actually have a LOT of options if you can get the right audio technician. I'll take photos but in short, here's what I had done.

Have the front face of an Alpine deck separated from the CD component. Have the CD component put into the glovebox and the front face put under the center console armrest. That way you don't have to touch the factory radio.

In the trunk I've got 2 JL audio 12" subs, an amp for the sub and another sub to power some polk audio speakers.

The subs def don't sound 'pretty' to people you drive by, but inside you are in your own world. The deck has bluetooth but I also have an auxiliary cord wired up through to the cigarette lighter area so its funny concealable.

It can get pricey depending on what components you buy but it's worth it. I'd recommend spending as MUCH as you feel comfy with upfront, so that you don't have to worry about waisting cost in instal fee when you want to upgrade. Get a powerful cable installed FIRST, because going back later to upgrade that power cable will mean pretty much having waisted money on the first one.

ragman1171 (05-08-2014)
Old 05-07-2014, 05:04 PM

I would love to see pics of your install.
Did you connect the steering wheel controls up to the new headunit? Seems a bit of a waste having the original headunit there doing nothing, but when you really think about it, how often do you adjust anything other than volume?

Also, did you start off with the base spec, or the premium? The biggest issue I have now with my stereo, is that the 'image' is awful. The music sounds like it's coming from the whole dash, rather than a single point in front of the car.
This is because I have the tweeters in the doors, rather than the A pillar. I have a spare set of A pillar trim with the premium tweeter locations, so one day I'll do some playing around and see where the best location for them actually is, and see if I can move things around

Old 05-07-2014, 10:38 PM

I do have the 2 little tiny speakers on the side of the doors but I didn't upgrade those. Or at least not yet. My steering wheel controls the volume and the mode ie radio, cd player, aux, ipod, pandora, bluetooth. Can also skip tracks.

I can honestly say if it weren't for my audio system, and the stark contrast between the moderness of the upgrade, to the classic look of the car, I wouldn't want the car. Every time a rent a car and feel the car performance difference in 2014/15 cars it makes me super jealous. Even still, I'm surprised that not many cars can compare in this specific cars road smoothness. Shocks and 0-60 speed however... : /

Let me get back on topic

Center console armrest:

Glove compartment:

iPhone connection cable (better quality than Bluetooth although the bluetooth is VERY good and allows for handsfree calls):

Trunk subs:

Had the trunk sound deadened, but based on the build of the teunk lids interior, this didn't change much of the outside sound. It did make for a more controlled sound inside though. Rattle wasn't too bad on the inside w/o, but now its pretty much flawless

My spare tire was a bad quality tire, I don't travel out of state with this car and I have AAA so I ditched the tire and used that area for the amps (too big a hassle to get you a good picture at the moment):

**sorry for the bad image quality

Attached Thumbnails On to my Next Topic for the Vanden Plas: Sound System Upgrades!-2014-05-07%252018.11.14.jpg   On to my Next Topic for the Vanden Plas: Sound System Upgrades!-2014-05-07%252023.18.06.jpg   On to my Next Topic for the Vanden Plas: Sound System Upgrades!-2014-05-07%252023.18.34.jpg   On to my Next Topic for the Vanden Plas: Sound System Upgrades!-2014-05-07%252018.13.18.jpg   On to my Next Topic for the Vanden Plas: Sound System Upgrades!-2014-05-07%252018.13.34.jpg  

ragman1171 (05-08-2014)
Old 05-07-2014, 11:31 PM

Looks good! And still a reasonable mount of boot space too. One thing I need to fix on mine was that the old 6x9 hole in the parcel shelf was sealed over, so I need to open that up, and I should get a bit more bass into the cabin.

I used the same space for my sub amp, but managed to retain a space saver, but there's no way the original full size spare would have fit

ragman1171 (05-08-2014)
Old 05-08-2014, 03:21 PM

I have reached out to the Crutchfield Tech's with my personal dilemma. They had some interesting suggestions. I do not feel that they truly got the gist of my finished product desires. I appreciate seeing the customizations made and the thoughtful use of space. If I choose to start to consider serious custom changes such as the previous, I will not try to reinvent the wheel. I will insist on doing the work myself with tons and tons of research prior to the start of the job for every change made and to insure that I’ve given each idea I have for each piece the best chance and determine what I feel to be the best for me. My tastes range from Metallica to Mozart to Eminem… In short, it must be able to accommodate a variety (a gentle euphemism) of noise (that’s essentially what it is) upon my changing whim at the touch of a button (or two). I have not yet found the “Moment of Genius” that will strike me and is really what I’m counting on more than anything else. It’s not failed me in the past meaning that it was either the exact spark for the time or led me to it. Meanwhile, what are other’s thoughts, ideas, reckonings?

Last edited by ragman1171; 05-08-2014 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:36 PM
Received 92 Likes on 49 Posts

I have a 1999 XJ8. Presently use a tape deck adapter to stream music from my phone. Doesn't sound too bad but would love to have a modern sound system. The pictures of the conversion kit look pretty nice. Is this of good quality? Does it look like a factory component?

Old 05-08-2014, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by rsgensburg
I have a 1999 XJ8. Presently use a tape deck adapter to stream music from my phone. Doesn't sound too bad but would love to have a modern sound system. The pictures of the conversion kit look pretty nice. Is this of good quality? Does it look like a factory component?
I cannot speak for the replacement Jag piece as the photo is from the seller of the merchandise. It appears to be of quality construction to me, but it's so hard to judge from just a photo.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:53 PM

The conversion kit I bought off ebay last year looks just the one pictured and it is of very good quality. But in reality, it's just a trimed piece of flat plastic which any good DIY'er could make. And while it doesn't look "factory stock" (because it isn't) I think it looks even better then the standard radio. Great sound quality is much more important to me then a stock looking center consol. Most people notice the leaping Jaguar right away.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by genec
The conversion kit I bought off ebay last year looks just the one pictured and it is of very good quality. But in reality, it's just a trimed piece of flat plastic which any good DIY'er could make. And while it doesn't look "factory stock" (because it isn't) I think it looks even better then the standard radio. Great sound quality is much more important to me then a stock looking center consol. Most people notice the leaping Jaguar right away.
Thanks for the reply. That is where I found the photo in the OP as well. EBay. I have several of the Leaping Cat decals from eBay as well. I have considered fabricating the piece myself as well for myself.

Old 05-10-2014, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 410 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu 1986
The Jaguar sound systems are actually very good, but they are at their best when listening to Classical music. That is what Jaguar use to "tune" their stereos, ...
As for the design of the stereo, I don't think there is much more they could have done given the technology of the time. ...
I am going to fit an MP3 Aux socket at some point soon though, or possibly a bluetooth kit,it'd make life easier I would keep the screen for any kit hidden in the cubby box though.

I have been following this thread and tend to agree with Stu. I do not think I could bear to alter the "Duchess" with even significant audio improvements, if it filled up the arm rest console or front glove box. While I agree the subwoofer is a weak link, it would seem there are alternatives to filling the trunk space with audio gear to yield better bass.
My local sound system professional has indicated that there are professionals which can rebuild the amplifier to better standards than alpine saw fit to provide, and subwoofers which can fit in the space provided that would satisfy the consummate audiophile. I would like an AUX and/or Bluetooth input however, and he indicated that was not a problem at a $150 price point.

RandyS
2003 XJ8 Vanden Plas
1982 BMW 320i
1977 Chevrolet Silverado Stepside
1983 Porsche 944
1987 Mitsubishi Van

Old 05-11-2014, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by RandyS
I have been following this thread and tend to agree with Stu. I do not think I could bear to alter the "Duchess" with even significant audio improvements, if it filled up the arm rest console or front glove box. While I agree the subwoofer is a weak link, it would seem there are alternatives to filling the trunk space with audio gear to yield better bass.
My local sound system professional has indicated that there are professionals which can rebuild the amplifier to better standards than alpine saw fit to provide, and subwoofers which can fit in the space provided that would satisfy the consummate audiophile. I would like an AUX and/or Bluetooth input however, and he indicated that was not a problem at a $150 price point.

RandyS
2003 XJ8 Vanden Plas
1982 BMW 320i
1977 Chevrolet Silverado Stepside
1983 Porsche 944
1987 Mitsubishi Van

Again, the premium Alpine and Harman kardon systems might be O.K. but the majority of XJ8's came with the "standard" radio and Philips speakers which are horrible. I can only assume many of you haven't heard the standard setup or had to live with it for very long. Also, the standard setup didn't include a subwoofer. Replacing the radio with the attractive aftermarket kit and an Alpine cd/receiver along with the Pioneer 6 3/4" mid-bass speakers and Clarion tweeters in place of that Philips junk really did make a huge difference.

I also wouldn't use up the space in the center consol or modify any other part of the interior but what others do to their cars is alright with me. Anything can be put back to stock by the next owner if they so choose.

I'm also not interested in putting a large subwwofer in the trunk but I am trying to figure out a way to add a little low end to the equation. Something inside the car, not the trunk. Just something to fill in the bottom end. The way the 6 3/4" drivers are mounted doesn't leave much space for a proper enclosure so bass response is limited.

So far I've looked at some small 6" sub drivers for the back shelf from Kicker, a Kenwood self-powered 6 1/2" or 8" unit mounted to the top of the shelf or a shallow 8" driver in the stock location but there just doesn't seem to be much room back there.

Old 05-11-2014, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by danielsand
"Too each his own",...."It's YOUR car".......stuff like that comes to my mind. Speaking only for myself,......when I see a car (Jaguar especially!) with aftermarket stereo,....I RUN AWAY. If the previous owner decided to screw with the radio, what else did he screw with? And that's just from the practical point of view.

Aesthetically,......no comparison! These "modern", multicolored, LED flashing, graphic displaying, radios just look wrong in the classic lines of the dash. To me it's like fitting K98 Mauser with a twenty dollar Chinese scope (vintage gun owners will understand).

Just recently I walked away from 87 XJ6 that had aftermarket radio, and amplifier in the trunk. I drive classic cars, because I like CLASSIC. Classic will never measure up to "modern" (that's advancing technology that never stops), and what's modern today, will be obsolete in a VERY short time. Is modern better? Better sound quality, that's for sure. Better looks? I don't think so. When I want to enjoy music, I have my equipment at home, when I'm in the Jaguar, I want to enjoy DRIVING, inhaling the smell of the wood and leather, and having the pleasure of looking at the smooth and logical lines of the interior. Sometimes I listen to the music when I drive, and then I enjoy the classic equipment, that still works like the day it left the factory.

Bottom line? This radio of yours would drive me NUTS, and I'd never buy a car with aftermarket radio in it.

Rant over.
Hard to believe... I guess it takes all kinds.

Old 05-11-2014, 02:09 PM

Interesting points made up in here. Danielsand I hear what you are saying but what you find contributes to your ideal driving experience is completely different then what someone else might consider ideal. I'm all for maintaining the stock look, that's why I didn't mess with anything that would be visible like the stock radio. Also, there's nothing that's permanent with my setup. For me I have a HIGH priority on audio quality especially since a lot of the music I listen to is electronic based. Having a stock radio to me would never be an option if it's a car I want to drive on a consistent basis. A car that just 'looks' good and 'looks' original isn't enough for me. That's like dating a super model with no character or personality.

I also wouldn't judge a drivers car manipulations based on them adding in a system. Safe to say that the majority of the people in this forum would be able to pick up on any major car changes prior to buying. Also, that would discredit some potentially very good upgrades by certain owners out there. The stock car is no 'perfect car' and I am sure there are improvements that would enhance the car while maintaining it's soul.

RandyS there are def. other alternatives to adding bass, but me personally, especially with the L edition putting more distance from the driver to the subs, I went with the suggestion of the sound engineer. I like to feel like I am literally sitting IN the sub, and in order to get that sense, I need some serious business. So a smaller option was not an option to me. Some might not require a lot of bass, but I need it. Something powerful yet clean sounding.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:35 PM

For those looking to add more bass, without retrofitting a sub, or wanting to put something aftermarket in the boot, I would again recommend looking at building pods for the front door speakers, so that they are mounted solidly onto the door, not the door card, and also have the door sealed and deadened. This will make a huge improvement, especially when coupled with new speakers.

Of course, if you want serious bass, then a dedicated sub is the best way to go, but if you're just looking for a fuller sound, and better clarity over the rest of the mid-range as well, then it will be totally worth the effort.

Show these pictures to any car audio shop and they should be able to replicate the results very easily.

Attached Thumbnails On to my Next Topic for the Vanden Plas: Sound System Upgrades!-dsc05610_zpsb2803778.jpg   On to my Next Topic for the Vanden Plas: Sound System Upgrades!-dsc05606_zps233ae0b9.jpg   On to my Next Topic for the Vanden Plas: Sound System Upgrades!-dsc05624_zps8c2e8cf8.jpg   On to my Next Topic for the Vanden Plas: Sound System Upgrades!-dsc05857_zps67468171.jpg   On to my Next Topic for the Vanden Plas: Sound System Upgrades!-dsc05879_zpsf2b7edef.jpg  

Old 05-12-2014, 11:02 AM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Markmont, good installation! Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Grandell, you're right about the door speaker pods--great midbase for sure if a dedicated smaller subwoofer isn't required.

Quick Reply: On to my Next Topic for the Vanden Plas: Sound System Upgrades!