XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Mystery Gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011 | 04:33 PM
|
Default Mystery Gaskets

Looking for help identifying the gaskets in the attached photo. They all came packaged together as part of the head set I ordered for my 2000 XJR. The two lighter colored ones are made from a harder material and have a split.

All other gaskets are accounted for and I'm almost ready to start putting her back together!

Related question, any thoughts on re-using the fuel injector o-rings?

Attached Thumbnails Mystery Gaskets-mysterygaskets.jpg  
Old 12-19-2011 | 12:07 AM
Veteran Member

Is the gasket set also listed for the NA with VVT?

If so they may be related to the VVT which is not present in the SC motor.

The following users liked this post:
inactualis (12-19-2011)
Old 12-19-2011 | 11:08 AM
|

The set was listed as specific to the XJR and as such has the unique supercharger gaskets, but I'm thinking you must be right and these "extras" are for the VVT elements. If anyone could verify that I'd be much obliged, however. Having some gasket fear at the moment!

Old 12-19-2011 | 01:49 PM
JWT

The two larger ones on the left of the photo look a lot like the thermostat housing o-rings. I am at a bit of a loss on the others. You may have been given o-rings for the vvt, which on the xjr you will not need, but I thought a couple of them were somewhat similar to the thermostat housing o-rings in diameter.

If they were in a separate envelope, they would have had part numbers, but to be sure, you may need to ask the dealer to identify what was included in the kit.

inactualis (12-19-2011)
Old 12-19-2011 | 03:56 PM
|

Originally Posted by JWT
The two larger ones on the left of the photo look a lot like the thermostat housing o-rings. I am at a bit of a loss on the others. You may have been given o-rings for the vvt, which on the xjr you will not need, but I thought a couple of them were somewhat similar to the thermostat housing o-rings in diameter.

If they were in a separate envelope, they would have had part numbers, but to be sure, you may need to ask the dealer to identify what was included in the kit.
Thanks, JWT. The thermostat on the XJR sits in the coolant outlet pipe, though, and the only seal involved when I took it apart was a larger diameter one already seated to the new thermostat. I'll try asking the manufacturer as I'm still stumped.

Old 12-19-2011 | 05:17 PM
JWT

It has been a while since I delved into that area, but I thought the thermostat housing itself had a couple of o-rings on the XJR.
I am talking about the the aluminum housing that has one of the small plastic lines attached and the temperature sensor on it.

I will look at mine tonight when I get home. Maybe the thermostat is not in that housing, but it is situated on the front of the engine above the water pump. I did not change my thermostat when I had the housing off, so may be confused as to where the thermostat is.

Sorry, I recognized the two larger 0 rings by the irregular shape, but I am not accompanied with the car or the manual right now. For sure mine had two, very similar to the picture. I guess it is mute, as I can't help much with the others.

Good luck with it.

inactualis (12-19-2011)
Old 12-19-2011 | 05:55 PM
|

JWT!! Found two of them! I stepped out to take a picture of the thermostat and coolant outlet pipe and noticed two gaskets I had missed (pointing to them in the picture). There are no gaskets around the thermostat other than the one that comes with it, but the two by my pinky and index fingers are clearly the oddly shaped ones from the original picture.

So, thanks to your input, the two larger gaskets are now identified. Thank you much!

Attached Thumbnails Mystery Gaskets-img_20111219_185011.jpg  
Old 12-20-2011 | 12:35 AM
JWT

Glad I was able to point in the right direction, despite my uncertainty. When you said there was only one seal on the housing I started to question my memory as to thermostat location, as I was not concerned with the thermostat when I had mine off. Those o-ringss would be exclusive to the XJR, so wish you luck with the others. One of the certified techs would no doubt recognize them.