XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

N. Michigan > S. Texas > N. Oregon

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 04:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default N. Michigan > S. Texas > N. Oregon

Hi all. I thought I would say hi. I have been lurking on this forum for over a year. It's one of my fav reads at night. People are so helpful, what a great community.

I also wanted to say how pleased I am with my '99 XJR that I bought about a year ago with about 75k miles on her. We call her Jagster. Bought it for $4500 and had to put in $1200 in repairs such as blown head and a big tune up. Engine light remains on but the Jag shop told me that its a minor thing with the throttle body. She will just drink more gas,... something to do with the exhaust gases not be reciprocated back or something. He said the front shocks need replacing in a year. The steering thing (at the bottom) has a leak and will eventually need replacing but in the meantime just top it off with transmission oil. Jag guys said overall she's a good car.

Since then, my wife and drove drove from Detroit, to the Upper Peninsula (UP) in Michigan, then down all the way to Corpus Christie, TX, then back up to Portland Oregon, where we currently are now. We will head back to Detroit next week. No back pain for either of us at all. The car is so comfy, even in full time Sport mode, (better at lane changing and overtaking), and very few problems. One thing that happens is sometimes the engine will just cut out without any warning: dash lights galore, no power steering - whole car total failure. This scares me as it's happens a few times (on average, once a month), but very rarely. when it happens, I just turn off the ignition, wait a minute, then start her back up and then no problems until the next time.

So, just wanted to say hi and make my first post.

Old 08-24-2015, 06:31 PM
Received 8,138 Likes on 4,910 Posts

You need to read Service Action S514 (303-S514am) about the throttle shutting down.

I did Dozens (a hundred??) of the throttle related recalls/service actions 'back-in-the-day'.

bob gauff

Attached Files
The following users liked this post:
Jhartz (08-25-2015)