XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Need 03 VP General Info Please

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 06:37 PM
Received 132 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Need 03 VP General Info Please

Hello again folks!
As I have my new member intro posted (I will be editing it shortly as well because surely two pages isn’t enough! LOL), I feel better about asking for more info.

I'm driving over 100 miles on Monday morning and would like to have AS MANY educated questions to ask the dealer about this vehicle by that time and I'm hoping that you, as a knowledgeable, intelligent, and experienced group will be able to assist.

To save you some time reading up on my Jaguar background, I can say that I have little to none, but am learning quite a bit quite rapidly.

At the bottom, I’ve attached a link to the PhotoBucket page with the pics that I was sent. I spoke with the owner a few times in addition to text and email. He has assured me that there are no codes or errors being given (which I have in writing via email) and it just looks fantastic for an 11 year old automobile.

This is a 2003 XJ8 Vanden Plas. It appears to have the 18” wheels, but I forgot to ask and cannot determine it from the photos, but in all honesty it matters not. Aside from the 11 years of use, it appears that the only REAL issue is the headliner coming loose behind the sunroof. I would like to know what can be done about this other than the rear window being pulled, the current headliner removed and replaced (why go half way if the window is already out?). I have seen the “Saggy Stoppers”, but for a Jag, it just won’t wash here. I’ve seen on auto repair shows on TV taking strips of wood about 1/8” thick and 1” to 2” wide being able to stain them to the color of my choosing or just leave them looking natural color with a liquor finish. Again, I’m thinking that it would not do this fine machine justice. I have a feeling that I’m going to have to end up getting the headliner replaced but, in the meantime, I need to stop the progression without creating an eyesore. If, by chance, anyone knows of a way to remedy this without a full replacement, I’m certainly open to suggestions!
If there is more information needed on the auto to assist or just general question, please feel free to ask and I will do my personal best to assist you as you’ve all done so quite graciously already. Thank you all again for allowing me to gain from your past successes and failures.
I am SO excited about this new (to me) Jag, that I almost got drove up there last night! lol Alas, the owner is out of town for the weekend and wants to handle this one personally, so I will see him on Monday morning after the rush hour(s) traffic has died down.

On to the point; what do I need to ask him? What do I need to be on the lookout for? Essentially, what do you wish you knew before you got yours?

RAGMAN!!!

2003 XJ8VP Photos by ragman1171 | Photobucket
Yes, I enquired about the stains on the headliner near the sunroof thinking it may be rust from a possible leak, but was assured that wasn’t the case. Again, it’s in writing :-]

Old 03-29-2014, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

There is a world of information carefully hidden on these forums. Start here:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ts-data-29800/

That is on the XK8 forum but nearly everything applies.

There is a pre purchase check list somewhere that I cannon find at the moment but there are lots of things to check besides the headliner. I would go through the owners manual and make sure everything itemized there works. Especially the interior electrical. Make sure that the seats work, the seat memory works, the radio and climate control system works. A failed climate control system can cost as much as an engine to repair. Take the car by an auto parts store and have them check the OBDII codes. If they have just been reset without repair the reader will display that.

A detailed maintenance/record is the most important thing to ask for.

Old 03-29-2014, 07:29 PM

I got this from NADA. I'll look for the checklist as well. Thank you for bringing that up!

Attached Thumbnails Need 03 VP General Info Please-specs_zps44dfb138.jpg  
Old 03-29-2014, 08:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,622 Likes on 874 Posts

Hi
Maybe this PDF file on our 2001 XJ8 (10 years) repair/maintenance history might help.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0dt0xbyrpf...%20sp%20v4.pdf

Jim Lombardi

The following users liked this post:
ragman1171 (03-29-2014)
Old 03-29-2014, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

Download the Owner's Manual and read through it for a long list of things to verify that work. This XJ8 forum has a similar sticky above with lots of info.

ragman1171 (03-29-2014)
Old 03-29-2014, 08:25 PM

Jim and Test Point,
Thank you both! EXCELLENT ideas!!!! I will be sure to do that. I may even ask the Mrs to drive to Richmond on Monday so can read more if necessary!

Respects,
RAGMAN!!!

Old 03-29-2014, 10:18 PM
Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

Maintenance records, receipts etc. Look for major engine work, transmission, etc.
The transmissions last about 100,000 miles give or take. The 2003 eliminates
most of the engine problems. New hoses, water pump, metal thermostat housing
are all good things. The engine does not forgive overheating like a small block chevy.
If the car is not dependable, it is useless. Expect to spend much more on maintenance on this car. The headliner will be one of the easier bills to pay.
Check every switch, knob, light, accessory. Deduct $1,000 if it only has a valet key.
The car has a unique key and not easily cut or duplicated without a good original.

Brakes, tires, oil change, wiper blade etc are no more expensive than other cars.
Ebay will be your friend for finding parts.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Lear45
Maintenance records, receipts etc. Look for major engine work, transmission, etc.
The transmissions last about 100,000 miles give or take. The 2003 eliminates
most of the engine problems. New hoses, water pump, metal thermostat housing
are all good things. The engine does not forgive overheating like a small block chevy.
If the car is not dependable, it is useless. Expect to spend much more on maintenance on this car. The headliner will be one of the easier bills to pay.
Check every switch, knob, light, accessory. Deduct $1,000 if it only has a valet key.
The car has a unique key and not easily cut or duplicated without a good original.

Brakes, tires, oil change, wiper blade etc are no more expensive than other cars.
Ebay will be your friend for finding parts.
This is GREAT STUFF!!!! Thanks a ton! I found eBay was a HUGE money saver with my first XJ8 when the dealer wanted $123 for a little cubby hole part and I found it online, free shipping, for $15!!!! The hood latch cable... $160 at the dealer. Found one new (not ebay though) for $50...The last XJ8 didn't have a Valet key and I didn't miss it. The last time we needed to use the valet was 3 or 4 years ago for our anniv dinner and I just gave the guy my keys. This one has two reg keys and separate FOBs and one Valet key, so I feel lucky to have it. I'm prolly going to start a new thread, but I'm hoping to find the "switchblade" type key/FOBs for this one as thy are separate. Anyone know if they do or not? If so, where? Thanks again!!!

R,
RAGMAN!!!

Old 03-30-2014, 07:04 AM
Veteran Member

Jason
Look at the buying pre-owned XJ8 or XJR information list in the XJ8/XJR How to quick links thread (post# 1):

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...k-links-20090/

It has what tools to bring with you, time needed, what to check for in the interior and exterior, engine components, and underbody.

Jim Lombardi

Old 03-30-2014, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member

headliner coming loose behind the sunroof.
I purchased upholstery twist pins packet from artfire.com as a temporary fix to the floppy loose headliner area between the sunroof and rear windshield:

Here is a photo I took on the temporary fix, most people who sit in the rear seat never notice the headliner unless it is falling down on their heads.

Here is a JPEG file with the photo of the headliner after I pinned it up using the twist pins:

www.dropbox.com/s/jyahcoshlaw55j4/2001%20xj8%20headliner.JPG

Here is weblink to the artfire.com webpage showing the upholstery twist pins (10 pc pack) - I would buy 2 packs:

Upholstery Decorative Twist Pins 10/Pkg-Clear | SongbirdCrafts - Sewing & Quilting on ArtFire

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 03-30-2014 at 12:36 PM.
ragman1171 (03-30-2014)
Old 03-30-2014, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by jimlombardi
headliner coming loose behind the sunroof.
I purchased upholstery twist pins packet from artfire.com as a temporary fix to the floppy loose headliner area between the sunroof and rear windshield:

Here is a photo I took on the temporary fix, most people who sit in the rear seat never notice the headliner unless it is falling down on their heads.

Here is a JPEG file with the photo of the headliner after I pinned it up using the twist pins:

www.dropbox.com/s/jyahcoshlaw55j4/2001%20xj8%20headliner.JPG

Here is weblink to the artfire.com webpage showing the upholstery twist pins (10 pc pack) - I would buy 2 packs:

Upholstery Decorative Twist Pins 10/Pkg-Clear | SongbirdCrafts - Sewing & Quilting on ArtFire

Jim Lombardi
My wife is quite familiar with them as she frequents Michael's. For those in different regions, it's akin to Hobby Lobby, Ben Franklin's, etc. She's going to get some there for the time being if I cannot get the WD40 straw and roller to work.
One questions though, it appears that the heads of the twist pins you have shown are larger than the pis in the package. Am I mistaken or were you able to incorporate some sort of washer to increase each pin's surface area?

R,
RAGMAN!!!

Old 03-30-2014, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member

No, I did not need to use any washers, just the twist pins. The clear plastic part of the pins are large enough to get a good grip and be able to twist them into the headliner foam up under the fabric.

The weblink is to the package of 10 pins that I purchase (item# 9023) for $1.55 plus shipping ($2.73). It has been over 3 months since I installed them - no problems so far.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 03-30-2014 at 07:07 PM.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 869 Likes on 716 Posts

Use 1/4 inch staples (w/staple gun), which you will hardly see instead of the ugly push pins. Don't need many.

Old 03-31-2014, 03:39 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Jim (jhartz)
Please post a photo of your headliner with 1/4 inch staples. I am shocked that the headliner stays in place with the staples, since the foam under the cloth does not seem to be very solid.

Also the upholstery twist pins clear plastic heads do not appear to look ugly. I have received a lot of good comments about their appearance from friends who have seen the headliner fix.

Here is JPEG with the closer view of the installed twist pins:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qeivrjb0dp...dliner%202.JPG

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 03-31-2014 at 03:53 AM.