XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Need advice on exhaust setup!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2021 | 05:38 PM
|
Default Need advice on exhaust setup!

Hi,
I got the backbox deleted on my XJ8 3.2 V8 today, and it sounds 'ok' - still no deep V8 sound.

My initial plan was to get an X Pipe fitted and get the rear two mufflers deleted but I was advised that would annoy me quiet a lot (droning etc)
As I am not commuting, I don't mind a lil drone. I miss the V8 rumble from my Audi S5 4.2 V8 so I've booked myself in for an X Pipe to be fitted tomorrow.

The jargon is a bit weird if I'm honest, so I'll attach what is happening.
I have removed the back boxes (JAG6022 and JAG6023) (is the term 'back box delete' different from a muffler/res delete?)

I am assuming they will cut off the part JAG3024 in hopes of getting that deep V8 sound.

What is your advice? The main set ups that I see online cut off JAG3024 for the X Pipe and remove JAG3025 AND JAG3026 and they sound amazing. Will I get something similar?

Old 06-03-2021 | 07:22 PM
Veteran Member

In my opinion the best sounding exhaust modifications is to delete the single front muffler with an X pipe, delete and straight pipe the 2 smaller mufflers in front of the differential and to leave the rear mufflers alone. Now that you’ve deleted the 2 rear mufflers with straight pipes and you’re getting the X pipe installed, you may end up with more rumble than you bargained for. Let us know how that went after the X pipe gets installed.

Old 06-03-2021 | 07:29 PM
|

Originally Posted by Addicted2boost
In my opinion the best sounding exhaust modifications is to delete the single front muffler with an X pipe, delete and straight pipe the 2 smaller mufflers in front of the differential and to leave the rear mufflers alone. Now that you’ve deleted the 2 rear mufflers with straight pipes and you’re getting the X pipe installed, you may end up with more rumble than you bargained for. Let us know how that went after the X pipe gets installed.
I trusted the guy as he said I would prefer the backbox delete over the X Pipe..
I just want a V8 rumble like my Audi S5 V8 but not wanting to sound like those disgusting quad bikes.

What is your definition of rumble? Right now, the rear straight pipe makes a 'roar' in the low revs; 2krpm max, and that's it. If I hit the higher revs, the car still sounds like a vacuum due to the K&N Air Filter.
"More rumble than I bargained for" - does this mean droning issues? The straight pipe alone had subtle droning on the motorway which was noticeable, but not bad.

Old 06-04-2021 | 05:04 AM
Veteran Member

The “more than you bargained for” comment was in regards to the 2 large rear mufflers are gone now and you’re having the front muffler X piped. The only thing you have left is the 2 smaller mufflers in front of the differential. It could be quite loud after the X pipe but I do not know how bad the drone could be as I haven’t heard another AJ-V8 engine with that exhaust setup. My definition of rumble on these cars is what it would sound like primarily at idle. Deep, low note that you can hear the pulses of the engine but the volume is not too loud.

Last edited by Addicted2boost; 06-04-2021 at 05:12 AM.
Old 06-04-2021 | 05:52 AM
|

The “more than you bargained for” comment was in regards to the 2 large rear mufflers are gone now and you’re having the front muffler X piped. The only thing you have left is the 2 smaller mufflers in front of the differential. It could be quite loud after the X pipe but I do not know how bad the drone could be as I haven’t heard another AJ-V8 engine with that exhaust setup. My definition of rumble on these cars is what it would sound like primarily at idle. Deep, low note that you can hear the pulses of the engine but the volume is not too loud.
I'm getting the X Pipes done right now- just sitting in the waiting room. Once done, I'll upload a video on here.

Hopefully it'll sound like my S5. I need that V8 deep note when hitting 6k revs idle.

Old 06-04-2021 | 05:58 AM
Veteran Member

I'm sure you'll appreciate the sound from XJR99's video link in this post... https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-179948/page7/

Old 11-10-2021 | 04:11 AM
|

If you're still interested - the car sounds amazing now. At idle, the car purrs. Between 1.8kRPM (gear changes) it's annoyingly loud but then the revs drop immediately. On the motorway, it sits around 2.2kRPM with no droning at all so it's the best of both worlds.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_dD...ew?usp=sharing

The following users liked this post:
Nish (12-23-2022)
Old 11-10-2021 | 11:55 AM
Veteran Member

Not gonna lie, that sounds good. Gotta bump the go pedal for us to really hear it though.

The following users liked this post:
Z07Brandon (11-10-2021)
Old 11-10-2021 | 02:40 PM

I'm deleting everything, cats included, but the 2 rear mufflers and running an X pipe. The X pipe is necessary for low end torque.