XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Need advice on xjr forsale

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2023 | 04:22 PM
|
Exclamation Need advice on xjr forsale

Hello guys I need some advice on a 2000 Jaguar XJR that fell into my lap.
It has just over 90k miles but needs some work done on it please tell me if you think its worth buying and restoring.
I am a newer driver and dont know much about cars but the idea of buying it and fixing it as I go sounds very appealing.
He is leaving provinces and is looking to sell he says the engine is perfect only problems sunroof and radio aren't working, the dent and interior damages are in the pictures

Please let me know what you think

Old 08-21-2023 | 05:03 PM
Veteran Member

Inquire if the secondary timing chain tensioners have been replaced. If not, plan on taking one of the valve covers off to check for plastic tensioners. Also, if you search hard enough, I bet you could get a good used door already in that color.

Old 08-21-2023 | 05:16 PM
|

Ok I just left him a message regarding if the tensioners have been replaced, I also asked if he knows if the tensioners are plastic.

This is the make or break issue with this car right? Do you have an idea what it would cost to restore the interior ?

Old 08-21-2023 | 09:54 PM
Veteran Member

It’s not real difficult to replace the secondary timing chain tensioners using the zip tie method.

For leather perforated seat covers go to:
Lseat.com

Old 08-22-2023 | 02:55 PM
Veteran Member

I think the real key can you DIY all the repairs? If not I would not take this on!
Plenty of info on the forums to help with whatever problem you have but it will take some searching and then you should consider getting ALL the Jaguar documentation.
This consists of the shop manual (JTIS). The parts manual (JEPC) and then the hard one the factory Jaguar diagnostic software called SDD (Symptom Driven Diagnosis).

Again much too be found with searches on these terms if your interested.

Old 08-22-2023 | 03:17 PM
Veteran Member

How old are you and how much experience? Where is it? How much do they want for it? How well does it run, stop, cool/heat, light and steer now? Punching out the door is easy; fixing the seat cushion is an easy fix as well. It will need lots of maintenance efforts early on: if you can dodge tires, brakes, ac, and cooling issues, most can be time as time and money allow -- and you get to learn a lot. There is lots of help here. But you need to be somewhat mechanically apt . . .

If the answers to the questions above are mostly green (not red), it will be a much better experience than a 20 year old Civic or Corolla. Hard part is finding hard parts . . . they are no harder to repair and maintain than any others (if you can find the parts you need)!

Old 08-22-2023 | 03:30 PM

What province? If Ontario, I can possibly recommend a specialty shop for a pre-inspection. Might be worthwhile spending a few bucks. PM me.