XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 08:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help

can anyone explain why and how on a 04 xjr the IAT's .. when sitting in traffic temps rise to about 130-140 but when flooring it and staying on it the IAT's drop low like to 100f and its doing this in 90 degree weather .. i drive a e55 amg and when i get on it the temps rise not lower but my best friend just bought this 04 xjr and we're trying to figure out the car .. and input would be great thanks .... and also what are the best mods for this car as well

Old 05-05-2010, 08:25 PM

hope to get reply

Old 05-05-2010, 08:27 PM

need help bad lol

Old 05-05-2010, 09:56 PM
Received 8,138 Likes on 4,910 Posts

The IAT is part of the MAF sensor and is just downstream of the air filter so heat soak from the engine compartment will raise the temp but a strong flow of fresh air will reduce the temp. Perhaps the temp sensor on another car is a measure of intake manifold air temp so a compressed air charge (supercharger/turbocharger) will normally rise even after the intercooler. It all depends on where you take your reading.

bob gauff

Old 05-05-2010, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by vinnyz
hope to get reply
Originally Posted by motorcarman
The IAT is part of the MAF sensor and is just downstream of the air filter so heat soak from the engine compartment will raise the temp but a strong flow of fresh air will reduce the temp. Perhaps the temp sensor on another car is a measure of intake manifold air temp so a compressed air charge (supercharger/turbocharger) will normally rise even after the intercooler. It all depends on where you take your reading.

bob gauff
i was reading it with a data logger of live data .. but it seemed strange to me .. my car when i plug it in reads from intercooler . how do i log the real temps

Old 05-06-2010, 01:31 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

gonna say you won't get many responses with the simple title 'need help'. I would recommend you be more specific, like "IAT temperature fluctuation".

You're the only one who knows what your code reader will read, in live mode. My software allows various options on what to observe/record, so I can select whatever I choose.

For performance mods (pulleys, porting, etc) check out the previous threads in the XJ and S-type section (and now the engine section), the engine sizes and supercharges are similar, you'll get an idea on what can, and can't be done.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:30 AM
ud
Received 148 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by motorcarman

bob gauff
I concur with Bob. The MAFS is a dual sensor - air flow and temp (IAT - using a hot wire sensor). This sensor is right behind the air filter and before the CV inlet in the intake tube so the sensor stays clean. The temp readings you are getting are just what is to be expected as the factory design draws fresh air from outside of the engine compartment.

This is testimony to the factory air intake design.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by h20boy
gonna say you won't get many responses with the simple title 'need help'. I would recommend you be more specific, like "IAT temperature fluctuation".

You're the only one who knows what your code reader will read, in live mode. My software allows various options on what to observe/record, so I can select whatever I choose.

For performance mods (pulleys, porting, etc) check out the previous threads in the XJ and S-type section (and now the engine section), the engine sizes and supercharges are similar, you'll get an idea on what can, and can't be done.
ya i see ur point about the title .. here is a question that i'm gonna ask . who tunes these cars ? i tried to have car tuned but couldnt read the ecu with sniper software .. the only ppl i see that tunes these cars are eurotoy is there anyone else

Old 05-06-2010, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by stevetech
I concur with Bob. The MAFS is a dual sensor - air flow and temp (IAT - using a hot wire sensor). This sensor is right behind the air filter and before the CV inlet in the intake tube so the sensor stays clean. The temp readings you are getting are just what is to be expected as the factory design draws fresh air from outside of the engine compartment.

This is testimony to the factory air intake design.
so is there a way to get the real IAT's and not the flow temps .. also how common is it to replace the intercooler pump and does anyone use the johnson cm30 pump

Old 05-07-2010, 12:44 PM

does anyone know the answers ? really trying to figure out this car

Old 05-07-2010, 01:01 PM
Jag4me

I dont know much about these cars but my Mechanic does! lol You might want to give him a call. He's in Downey, CA but he might have the answers to your questions! His name is Rigo Campos, 562.869.8232 Biz, 562.477.3052 Cell, rigo@downeyjagandlandrover.com.