XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Need help with door locks PLEASE...

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 06:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help with door locks PLEASE...

Hi fellow Jaguar friends...im new to the forums and was wondering if anyone can help me with my problem.

I have a 99 Jaguar xj8 vdp and problem is....
1) When i lock the car using the key fob...the gas door and trunk will lock but none of the doors.
2) When i lock the car using the actual key...the driver's door, gas, and trunk will lock but none of the passenger doors will
3) With the car running...when i push on the dash lock/unlock button nothing happens but when i hold it down for a sec...i can hear a click sound at each door but doors will not lock.
4) I can manually push down and pull up lock at each door.

If someone can please help me with this issue it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 03-25-2016, 06:51 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I would do a hard reset.

The following users liked this post:
Jhartz (04-01-2022)
Old 03-25-2016, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by deancantrell
I would do a hard reset.
Thanks for the reply dean...
What exactly is a hard reset?
I just pulled the battery out for about 2 hours and replaced it with a brand new one if that helps with anything...

Old 03-25-2016, 07:38 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You can research the forum for more information but it basically reboots the computers. The reset can be done by removing the ground strap from the negative post of the battery and touching it to the positive post on the battery for approximately 30 seconds. You probably will loose some memory settings for things like the seats and mirrors but you can reprogram them.

Last edited by deancantrell; 03-25-2016 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Added information
Old 03-25-2016, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by deancantrell
You can research the forum for more information but it basically reboots the computers. The reset can be done by removing the ground strap from the negative post of the battery and touching it to the positive post on the battery for approximately 30 seconds.
Ok....i'll go ahead and try it tomorrow. Hopefully it'll fix my problem

Old 03-26-2016, 06:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,621 Likes on 874 Posts

Here is a copy of probably the best DIY on hard reset post (created by forum member SuperSport) Proper Reset
This is the post contents:

While a Hard Reset is very easy to do, getting the connections wrong can have catastrophic/dangerous results, so here is how it's done safely.

1. Turn Key OFF
2. Remove Negative Battery Terminal from the Negative Battery Post (10mm Wrench)
3. Turn Key ON
4. Touch Negative Terminal End to Positive Terminal End and hold there for 15 'ish seconds (Positive Terminal will still be connected to Positive Battery Post)
5. Turn Key OFF
6. Reconnect Negative Battery Terminal back to Negative Battery Post

NOTICE:
On First Start after the Hard Reset, let the car idle for a minute or two without touching throttle. This allows the computers to recalculate the throttle position, etc... Also, the car may drive differently for an hour or so while it's relearning your driving habits.

See Attached Photo showing Correct Short for Hard Reset
NOTICE: NOTHING CONNECTED TO NEGATIVE TERMINAL

Here is the weblink to SuperSport post:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...12/#post702404

actual full - webpage address (you will need to add the www. before the jaguarforums)
***jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/hard-reset-38112/#post702404

hope this helps
Jim Lombardi

ps - if you cannot view the photo, you can use the following weblink to my dropbox to view it: (note when dropbox opens - if it asks you to join dropbox - just use the option to view the photo file on the lower section of the webpage)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kpuec9oki6...photo.jpg?dl=0

actual full - webpage address (you will need to add the www. before the dropbox)
***dropbox.com/s/kpuec9oki60idck/hard%20reset%20photo.jpg?dl=0

Last edited by jimlombardi; 03-26-2016 at 07:13 AM.
Samilcar (03-26-2016)
Old 03-26-2016, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by jimlombardi
Here is a copy of probably the best DIY on hard reset post (created by forum member SuperSport) Proper Reset

While a Hard Reset is very easy to do, getting the connections wrong can have catastrophic/dangerous results, so here is how it's done safely.

1. Turn Key OFF
2. Remove Negative Battery Terminal from the Negative Battery Post (10mm Wrench)
3. Turn Key ON
4. Touch Negative Terminal End to Positive Terminal End and hold there for 15 'ish seconds (Positive Terminal will still be connected to Positive Battery Post)
5. Turn Key OFF

NOTICE:
On First Start after the Hard Reset, let the car idle for a minute or two without touching throttle. This allows the computers to recalculate the throttle position, etc... Also, the car may drive differently for an hour or so while it's relearning your driving habits.

actual full - webpage address (you will need to add the www. before the jaguarforums)

hope this helps
Jim Lombardi

ps - if you cannot view the photo, you can use the following weblink to my dropbox to view it: (note when dropbox opens - if it asks you to join dropbox - just use the option to view the photo file on the lower section of the webpage)

actual full - webpage address (you will need to add the www. before the dropbox)
Thanks a lot for the tip Jim...it was really helpful. So i did the hard reset and i still have the same problem. There's still the clicking sound at each door when locking/unlocking with the key/fob/dash button. Any other suggestions would be helpful please.

(Although the hard reset did have my trunk lights working again : )

Old 03-27-2016, 12:57 PM

1. Turn Key OFF
3. Turn Key ON
5. Turn Key OFF

NOTICE:

hope this helps
Jim Lombardi

Thanks for the tip Jim. So i've done the hard reset and still...the problem is the same. Although it did get the trunk lights workin again. Would it be the lock actuators? Im not sure what to do next.

Old 03-27-2016, 10:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,621 Likes on 874 Posts

There is a door lock relay that might be the issue. It is located in the LH Heelboard. Behind the left-hand side rear seat heelboard -Door lock: micro-relay.

I extracted part of the electrical diagram that shows the location of the relay:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wncbwedd0r...20Location.jpg

Here is a youtube video on how to test a relay:

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...BA81&FORM=VIRE

Relay part number is LNA6705AB

Relays - Parts For XJ Series from (V)812317 to (V)F59525 (X308) | Jaguar Heritage Parts UK

item 2, micro relay, black, door lock - LNA6705AB

Here is also a fuse for the door lock relay and door locking actuator - located in the rear compartment - right hand heelboard
Fuse #2 15 amp

Last edited by jimlombardi; 03-27-2016 at 10:26 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jimlombardi:
Jhartz (03-28-2016), rocklandjag (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 866 Likes on 714 Posts

Very informative videos on testing relays: thanks, Jim

Old 03-28-2016, 10:52 PM

There is a door lock relay that might be the issue. It is located in the LH Heelboard. Behind the left-hand side rear seat heelboard -Door lock: micro-relay.

I extracted part of the electrical diagram that shows the location of the relay:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wncbwedd0r...20Location.jpg

Here is a youtube video on how to test a relay:

1999 jaguar xj8 LNA6705AB relay in engine compartment - Bing video

Relay part number is LNA6705AB

Relays - Parts For XJ Series from (V)812317 to (V)F59525 (X308) | Jaguar Heritage Parts UK

item 2, micro relay, black, door lock - LNA6705AB

Here is also a fuse for the door lock relay and door locking actuator - located in the rear compartment - right hand heelboard
Fuse #2 15 amp
Thanks again Jim. I'm an idiot for not checking the fuse in rh heelboard....i pulled it and sure enough it was burnt. I replaced it and power door locks are working. The driver's and rear passenger lock/unlock fine but for some reason the passenger front and driver rear won't lock. I actually hear the lock actuator working on the driver rear but no sound from the passenger front. I also locked the driver rear manually and unlocked with the fob and it actually unlocks. I just wanna thank everyone for their input.

dinty (09-03-2019)
Old 03-31-2022, 08:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is an old post but hoping it’s still being viewed…
my wife’s 1998 XJ8 VDP has the same issue with all door locks and the fuel door. Remote FOB actuates locking and unlocking of the trunk and the security system. I’ve tried the rest as described above with no results. I did replace the 15amp starboard heel fuse box associated with the locks. It was blown. I replaced it and again, no results. That’s kind of strange but it was the first thing I did. Conditions remain as it was originally. The dash message at the speedometer window says “BOOT OPEN” but I have triple checked to insure everything is cinched up and closed tight.
she can use the car and can lock/unlock manually but it’s a PITA.
ANY HELP IS CERTAINLY APPRECIATED.

Old 03-31-2022, 08:45 PM

I’ve tried the “RESET’ as described above…

Old 04-01-2022, 06:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,031 Likes on 811 Posts

It’s possible given the age of your car that all the door locks need to be pulled out of the doors and throughly cleaned and lubricated. I’m not saying that’s exactly your issue but one worth looking into. I know there’s a microswitch that can also get stuck in the door locks and not turn on the puddle lights with the doors open. Same scenario, needs cleaned and lubricated.

Old 04-01-2022, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member

With a boot open signal, I would open the trunk (boot to some of you), and examine carefully all the wiring in the loom running along the right side trunk hinge.

Old 04-01-2022, 04:09 PM
Default Boot error

Khartz, thanks for the feedback. I will make it a point to check the harness. I did a search for a “Boot” micro switch or other sensor that disconnected or inop to no avail. Can you tell me where the Boot switch or sensor is located?
Thanks again.

Old 04-01-2022, 05:12 PM
Veteran Member

Look at the wiring, not the switch. If you look for the switch, it will be pretty obvious . . . .

Old 04-02-2022, 01:39 PM

If I new where the switch is, I’d be able to check connection to the switch which would (to me) be the most obvious location of possible connection failure.