XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Need help with shifter wiring repair !

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 08:59 PM
Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Need help with shifter wiring repair !

A previous owner of my 2001 XJ8 disabled the shift interlock by removing the solenoid and doing an indeterminate amount of buggering with the wires. I now have another complete shifter assembly (with solenoid) but I want to be sure I get it wired correctly:
1) My old shifter assembly has two connectors on the right hand side of the shifter, which mount to little metal tabs which stick out at an angle. The rearmost one is a yellow connector, and has orange/greenstripe and black/whitestripe wires, coming from a harness, going into the mating yellow connector. Is this correct?
2) The other right-hand side connector is dark grey, with leads that go into the shifter assembly. It has nothing external connected to it now. I don't have the mating connector, unfortunately.
3) Coming from a wiring harness under the center stack, I have a red/bluestripe wire and a black/whitestripe wire (might be tan stripe) that are shorted together via crimped fitting, but which don't otherwise connect to anything. Obviously, these ought to connect to something. Perhaps to the connector of 2) ?
4) I have a white wire and a black wire that are twisted (shorted) together (without even a crimp connector!) and taped for insulation. These go into a white connector block which is mounted over the solenoid link on the left side of the shifter assembly. Out of the back of this connector block, the white and black wires connect to a yellow wire and a black/whitestripe (or maybe tanstripe) which then go to a harness. I have no idea what these leads are for.
5) I have an orange/greenstripe wire and a black wire, from a harness, which go to a white connector that is not now connected to anything. It looks like this connector should plug into the end of the shifter solenoid, when I get one put back in. Correct?
I have the JTIS files, which show "many things but not everything." So any info greatly appreciated! Also, I may not have the wire colors exactly correct, as I have to view them via a flashlight. Thx.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:08 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,214 Likes on 1,703 Posts

I can provide you with the onelines for many xj’s but not sure what all you are looking for but I hope it helps http://www.gusglikas.com/AutoRepairElectrical.htm

Old 11-20-2010, 09:21 PM
Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts

Gus, the "onelines" are what I was referring to as the factory wiring diagrams, from the JTIS files. Yes, thanks, I already have those and have looked them over. They are somewhat helpful but not entirely helpful. I am hoping that someone who reads this thread, might have had the trim cover off his shifter and can verify what wires physically go where. If I had one of these cars in a junkyard, I could answer my questions trivially.