XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Need help on timing chain tensioners

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017 | 03:24 AM

Yeah, ditto... good luck! You can always pop back on the forum with any questions you have. Let us know how broad your smile is when it roars back into life One more thing, be careful to torque everything correctly, I've read about people over tightening snapping bolts, stripping threads etc.

Old 10-20-2017 | 02:07 PM

I would like to chip in here. My post to you would be very similar to the one from euphonium01. It looks a daunting task at first, especially if your not a mechanic, but it is not really. Do your research. Read as much as you can. 'Black Onyx' has an excellent write-up with pictures.
Mine was a Daimler Super Eight with an additional blown head gasket! So, I had to strip the engine right down. But.... its only nuts and bolts off in the right order and back on in the right order. Dont waste your time with cheap! buy the best you can afford and do replace your water pump while its all off.
Buy the timing chain kit. Its only about £35 and I sold mine after for £20...
Crankshaft bolt was a mare! had to hire a 24'' chain wrench with a breaker bar and extension. Dont rely on the locating pin while doing this..
And, as Euphonium01 says, the broad smile when it starts is worth all the hard work.
Go for it.

The following users liked this post:
Eddie602 (10-20-2017)
Old 10-20-2017 | 07:22 PM
|

Where can I find that black onyx guied ???

Old 10-21-2017 | 01:52 AM

There is a post somewhere on the forum but, if you just Google 'black onyx timing chain' it should come up at or near the top of the search.

Old 10-21-2017 | 05:24 AM

May as well do the water pump while its stripped down. My timing chains were done about a year ago prior to purchasing the car and I had to replace the pump about 2 months ago.

Old 10-21-2017 | 10:11 AM
Veteran Member

Black Onyx is over on the XK forum. But there are lots of threads: read them all and memorize the procedures. There are some things that need care, whether you are doing primary and secondary or just the secondary. An easy job, but needs patience and care. Power screwdriver that can take quarter inch sockets will save time. Be careful with the gaskets unless you are replacing. Remove cap bolts on the camshafts after you have tested for timing and then turned the engine (with a wrench on the crankbolt) to the position of least tension on the valve springs. Do not drop anything into the engine (left side has a clear run to the sump/don't forget to remove the rag you stuffed in that hole to keep from dropping anything). Don't forget to take the pin out.

If none of this makes sense, you need to read lots more threads. Many are in the stickies on this and the XK8 forum.

Old 04-21-2018 | 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by avern1
By the time you are out driving both the primary and secondary tensioners should have fully pumped up. They tension by oil pressure. I would look at full change out. You will be good for another 100k
Is it ok that they loose the pressure when standing? My car has been in a garage four months. I opened cam covers and chains in left side are tight but on the right side secondary chain is not that tight anymore. I can lift it about 3mm on tensioner (see picture). Is it OK or is tensioner broken or oil pressure valve broken?

Attached Thumbnails Need help on timing chain tensioners-img_20180402_190728.jpg  
Old 04-23-2018 | 10:53 AM
Veteran Member

I believe that is normal. But it has been addressed in other threads.

Old 04-23-2018 | 12:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by FinnJag
Is it ok that they loose the pressure when standing? My car has been in a garage four months. I opened cam covers and chains in left side are tight but on the right side secondary chain is not that tight anymore. I can lift it about 3mm on tensioner (see picture). Is it OK or is tensioner broken or oil pressure valve broken?
The latest generation of these tensioners are spring loaded (no check valve) so they should always keep the chain under tension. I suggest you remove the tensioner, see what type it is and, if the older (check valve) type, replace it with the latest.