Need help with XJR electrical? problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 09:31 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Need help with XJR electrical? problems

Hello comrades.
Since I struggle with my recent job on my Jag, looking for help:

Here is the story:
I changed the Instrument panel(front console) due to my old one was noisy/broken/drilled and so on... along with repairing one of my heater motors.

I installed new dash from breaking(attached the old wiring to it), connected everything back together, double checked everything. every connection looks like it should. BUT... the car wont start, lights and wipers joysticks do not work, same do the trunk opening button, central locking do not work, triple checked everything+fuse check, working in a yard, it got dark and I left. I came back in 2 days, connected the battery and there you go! I started the car, runs fine, lights, wipers are fine, no central locking still. warmed my baby up left engine on for half an hour or so... turned it off... did some assembling jobs- put all the stuff back on it's place, spend like 2 hours, tried to start a car, no go again same symptoms no crank, no lights, wipers...
cleaned the ground connections that i have removed in the process, no help...

some info:
no error codes via OBD2 during the process.
aircon and audio is fine
immo(plastic cover on the lock) been unplugged and removed in the process.
red light on the gearshifter is always on, when i managed to start the car it stayed on, but really dim.
battery is nearly new and fully charged, when i managed to spin a starter battery seemed very good.

any ideas where to start looking? can't find correct algoritm in JTIS. immo issues? ground issues? bigger problems?

Old 02-08-2016, 05:47 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I know this doesn't help much because you have double checked the ground points but a bad ground is my first thought.

Old 02-08-2016, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 899 Likes on 736 Posts

reset the inertia switch: need to remove the card in the wheel well to access the button.

Did you remove the steering wheel to get at the instrument panel? If so, likely you have not plugged in something (or broke a wire) to the switches on the steering column.

Finally, find the fuses and relays that are assigned to these "failed" functions.