XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Need some XJ advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 03:14 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ant17
Keep the XJ8 option open.
I will. I didn't know the XJ sport model existed until I started my search. If I can't find an XJR, thats the model I'd rather have.

The dealer who sold the black XJR told me that he only picks up XJ's if they are XJR's with low mile and good condition, so he's going to keep a lookout for me, along with a few other dealerships I've talked to.

So, I want to thank you all for the insight and advice. If I find another promising one, I get keep y'all posted.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AdamNC
Thanks everyone, this info is calming my nerves a little toward this potential purchase. Whether I'm able to get this particular car or not, I will most defintelly narrow my search to only 02-03 XJR's (which is what I REALLY wanted anyway). I wasn't sure about the supercharger becasue I didn't know if it required extra maintenance.

I did get in contact with an independent Jag shop, which is only about 6 miles from where this particular XJR is. They offer a full pre-purchase inspection for only $80, so I would definitely to that with any XJ I'd purchase.

I was thinking that even though the maintenance may be higher for than what I drive now, an XJ would not be my daily driver. I wouldn't even bring it up to Boone with me. I would leave it at my Mom's house and drive it when I came home until I got out of school. (snow=salt, plus people LOVE to ding doors on campus and at my apartment complex)
I was told by a Jag dealer that the service intervals are 10K miles, other that oil changes it would take me two years to hit that, so it should be too bad. (besides my 2001 Saab only has 95K miles and I bought it used)

yeldogt mentioned the shocks. Anyone know about how much a set would run? I did the front shock on my Saab last year for $550, if its anything close, I can manage.
Hey there Adam... can you direct me to the shop you are referring too? I am not that far from you (Blountville, TN.) and I can't find anyone to service my 1998 XJ8L... when I lived in Ft. Lauderdale... it was only at the dealer... to date I have spent about $35,000. (maybe more... definitely more... ) in repairs on her... and I refuse to let her go. I just got her out of the garage... lol (parked all winter), and took it to a regular mechanic up the road... she is driving.. but I am afraid. I have had a brand new (dealer) engine put in, throttle body... all the most common issues... the only thing left is a new transmission (shhh) I know of one guy outside of Asheville... when I had her brought up here from Florida, I had it inspected at the Hilton Head dealer.. the plugged it in... and gave me another $11,000. quote to fix things... I can't do it anymore... your help would be appreciated. J. Dietz

Old 04-14-2012, 10:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By the way... I love my Jaguar... this is my fourth... some used and some right off the showroom floor... this one that I have kept is a love/hate relationship... my "used" Bentley Turbo R was less trouble...

Old 04-15-2012, 12:12 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by joeldietzjr
Hey there Adam... can you direct me to the shop you are referring too? I am not that far from you (Blountville, TN.) and I can't find anyone to service my 1998 XJ8L...
The Jag shop I was referring to is V12 Motorsports. Volvo, Jaguar, BMW Service & Repair - Car Sales and Vehicle Restoration The thing is, they are located in Indian Trail, NC; which is about 10 miles south-east of Charlotte, NC. If you can't find anyone closer, I would suggest to give them a call, but I don't know of any shop around the NC/TN border.

The following users liked this post:
joeldietzjr (04-15-2012)