XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

New Addition to the Stable

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 01:54 PM
Received 164 Likes on 113 Posts
Default New Addition to the Stable

Shoot me. I picked up another 308. This one a '98 XJR. California car, BRG, 137k on the clock.

Had a shunt about 10 years ago, and repaired (I have all the paperwork, including the window sticker and shipping label!) with OEM parts to a high standard (mostly the front bumper, lights, rt front fender, and grille); I had to really look to see where the repair was made, and neither I nor my body guy could make it out easily, so it was done well.

Complete service records, oil changes at an average of 5K miles, dealer stamps in the passport book.

New tires (tyres?), headliner is redone. It does need to have the roof and boot lids repainted; sitting in west coast sun will take its toll on the finish.

NO Rust; had it up on a lift to glance underneath, and, aside from what you would expect, it is clean.

Wheels were straightened and cleaned up, and new red growler caps installed.

Interior is decent; only thing it needs (almond interior trim) is a replacement center console arm rest. Has the OEM floor mats in good condition, and it looks like the rear seat was never sat in, nor smoked in (ashtrays are unmarked).

Engine room needs cleaning/tidying up, but other than that, it makes 350HP on my wrench's dyno, so, it hasn't lost much of its spunk along the way.

Had a replacement tranny put in from a side impact wreck which only had 65K on it before being totaled, and full fluid service, brake pads, and rear bearings done.

So, now I have 2 308s (one will have to go...too many Jags in the driveway according to She Who Must Be Obeyed (SWMBO), so...trying to decide which one (this one or the 2000 XJ8 that I've been working on) will be put on the market.

Anyway...some photos:

Yes, in the rain, but you can see it's straight.

From the back...

Interior is not too bad...like that wood tiller and the seats are a bit sportier than my XJ8

I know the display has some delamination...but, it's useable as it is, no? Thinking I could look for a new gauge....or just leave the patina as it is...

Anything I should look for (besides the tensioners, which were inspected and found to be OK)? All the hoses seem in good condition, no leaks (even the octopus hose was dry), thermostat was replaced a couple years back, and all the fluids were done. Car doesn't rattle; the ride is definitely 'sportier' than my newer one, think that will take some getting used to (and the tires are lower profile, so that adds to it, I think).

Plans (It should be noted that my newer one, even with its minor nits, took second place in class at Brits in the Village in LaHaska PA in October, quite by surprise...since it's a daily driver...):

1. Have the roof and boot repainted by my trusted panel basher; there is also a minor crease/rub at the far end of the left rear quarter to be worked out by PDR guy and have whole car buffed out.
2. Leatherique interior treatment and lightly redye the driver seat. The other positions are almost pristine.
3. Remove the tint on the windows. The local constabulary looks askance at really heavy tint, and these are almost completely blacked out
4. Make sure all the bits are aligned.
5. Maybe, just maybe, have the bumper covers pulled and repainted; there are some chips and paint cracks.

Really, I'm sure there will be more, but for now, I think this is a good start. And, oh yeah,
6. Drive it.

Old 11-30-2016, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 866 Likes on 714 Posts

Everybody needs a hobby: the 2000 looks like it has had enough loving care; time to get another needy one to save, don't you think?

Tensioners ok, What does that mean? Replaced? If not pretty soon and that will keep you busy for a few days. Frankly, I am jealous. Miss working on my XJ8L (this RRS is perfect; even the oil change, with a MityVac, only took ten minutes).

Old 11-30-2016, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 374 Posts

I don't know how much of this is covered by the complete service history, so aside from the stuff you mentioned:
-I'd be looking closely at all the suspension rubber bits and bushings, I'm sure you know from your xj8 these cars have tons.. vee mounts, motor mounts, etc.
-Trans fluid/filter if it wasn't done in the last.. I don't know 60k mi if you want to be thorough
-Tensioners as Jhartz said
For R-specific stuff, I would:
-Take both belts off the front and spin all the pulleys, both idlers and both tensioners. Get new bearings in those if they feel bad, or if it's got the old plastic pulleys, I'd put metal ones in their place. If the bearings are ok they will probably be fine, but I've seen threads where they just disintegrated and the belt was riding on bearing races..
-while those belts are off, spin the blower by hand and check for lash or gritty bearings. If it hasn't had the s/c oil replaced, that's a cheap one worth doing.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,352 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by bdboyle
Shoot me. I picked up another 308. This one a '98 XJR. California car, BRG, 137k on the clock
Congratulations, seems to be a really nice catch!!
I can only be sooo jealous on how you guys can pick up these cars for the prices advertised ... they cost 2-3 times more over here, let alone finding a good one.
Well, perhaps better, stops me from dreaming.

Originally Posted by Jhartz
Miss working on my XJ8L
You will be back ... I can feel it ...