XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

new bosch intercooler pump questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 06:53 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default new bosch intercooler pump questions

just upgraded my ic pump to a 010.flush and filled as directed.pulled the ic bleed plug and was still full when I filled it but just for the heck of it I turned the ignition on to turn the pump on to see how much would come out of the plug but none did.is this normal?
I thought coolant would flow out of it

Old 03-07-2017, 03:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,089 Likes on 839 Posts

If the coolant is bled properly, the pump is running with the key on and that Allen plug is removed, coolant should be shooting out of there. When you filled the system with coolant (key off) did you have the Allen plug out? If you wired it properly, does the pump activate with just the key on?

Old 03-07-2017, 07:06 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

the pump is wired right.I turned the key on to find the positive on the wires.I filled the tank till all air was out then I removed the allen plug and filled the cooler till water came out of the tank.let everything sit for about 3 minutes and and topped it off.

Old 03-07-2017, 09:48 AM
Received 145 Likes on 92 Posts

From what I've read in the workshop procedure (see attachment), you should avoid running the pump as long as the charge filler point is open. This can cause air being drawn into the IC circuit.
The initial idea of the workshop procedure is that any air gathers at the charge filler point. BUT as the 010 pump is quite powerful, most of the air bubble shoot past the branch to the filler point, so that that the air has to be bled via the bleeding hose of the IC radiator (red mark). And as the second connection of the IC circuit to the "normal" cooland circuit (green mark) doesn't help much with bleeding, all air goes through the "tiny" bleeding line of the IC radiator bleeding hose.
You can hear it from the sound the pump makes, when it's still pumping air bubbles.
I had to follow the procedure #4 -#8.2 (see pdf, "Refill") multiple times, before I had all air bled. And I almost never had to top up at the filler point, but at the header tank.
And even after strictly following the procedure several times, I still had to top up the header tank after a test drive.

Best regards, Alexander

Attached Thumbnails new bosch intercooler pump questions-sc_coolant_flow.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
sc_coolant_refill.pdf (148.2 KB, 84 views)
The following users liked this post:
Don B (03-07-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

I followed the attachment from the previous poster and this one too:

http://matt.zenfolio.com/xk-coolant-...tat---v1-1.pdf

Worked very well. Same procedure for either car. Basically fill, then run the pump with only one of the two "caps" off at once. Have the plug on the intercooler off and run it a bit with the overflow cap on, then run the pump a bit with the ic plug in and overflow off. I just do that a bit back and forth until the car doesn't seem to want to suck more coolant. Then usually a bit later after the car has had some running, when cool I check as well. Never had to top but eh.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (03-07-2017)