XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

New caregiver for a 2003 XJ8

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 04:04 PM
Received 60 Likes on 27 Posts
Default New caregiver for a 2003 XJ8

I decided to give a new introduction to my new reason for being here. My brother-by-law has had this XJ8 for about 4 years from what I can tell. He shared a few issues with it with me and is allowing me to help him with it.

I guess I'm going to be it's new caregiver for the time being. Pretty clean car, as most of them are. No one, let me back up, not to many people hand these cars down to the young. He purchased the car for his college bound son who opped out for a Grand Prix or something else. Didn't want an old man's car. LOL

I've had the car for about 4 days now and have a short list of issues that I'm going to be working on. In the process I guess I will learn some things, share some thing, and maybe even make a few video's.

Things done so far:
  1. Near dead battery. Had to jump it, charged up good.
  2. Oil change. Seems like it was 10,000 miles PAST DUE and off the stick.
  3. Brake light issue, brake light would not go out. Bypassed and piggy backed off the other side.
  4. Antenna broke off, replaced the mast.
Things noticed that need/may need to be cared for:
  1. ABS light.
  2. Lights out in the climate control display.
  3. Broken head lights.
  4. Passenger door stuck closed.
  5. Roof liner falling.
  6. Remote does nothing.
  7. Cruise control may not work.
  8. May have an oil leak.
  9. Noise in front suspension, maybe end links.
  10. Third brake light loose from rear glass.
  11. Broken front bumper marker light lens.
  12. May be past due spark plug replacement.
Around town it's getting about 19.5 mpg. Seems good for a heavy car with a 4.0 motor. Rides/handles very nice. I put 91 octane in it, my brother pumps the cheapest gas he can find, any brand.

So far I think I have driven it about 100 miles. Starting to get use to the heavy feel.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 148 Posts

Good luck with the car! I would guess that some others will chime in and suggest you replace the weak battery and in doing so you could find several items on your to-do list go away.

Last edited by OldMike; 01-19-2014 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:29 PM

I think the battery is good. It has been holding strong at 13.8 v while running at 12.4 static. I guess I can have it tested.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:05 PM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

After seeing your many posts about your "brother's issues" I was beginning to think you were a home mechanic looking for a quick repair of a customers newly inherited problems. I'm going to tell you what others will eventually say--"Search" is your friend.

My initial questions went unanswered when I first purchased my x308. Lots of searches and a few helpful members and she's slowly getting back to a respectable state.

As you're now inheriting a project good luck. There are quite a few how to's and videos on the forum. You might save yourself a little repair time by avoiding new videos unless you're going to improve and be more specific on the write ups currently in the sticky section.

I seen your previous oil change video and your challenge with the battery issue.. once again, good luck on your inherited project and welcome to the forum.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:08 PM

FYI--new battery might fix that rear passenger door not opening. There are plenty of threads in regards to this correcting your issue, and one more recently.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:03 PM

I seen that battery door issue. I'm going to try to pull the panel today and un-plug it, then plug it back in to see if that resets it. My issue seems to be different seeing how most do have doors that will not open, most say they don't lock or unlock with the system, this one is stuck closed and will not open at all.

I do search some and have seen a few solutions that I didn't ask about. It's kinda normal for members to ignore new posters due to the repetition. LOL I understand and don't knock 'em for that. Heck, it's hard for me to reply to some of them myself being a frequent member of a few other forums.

I have not seen a lot of videos but do add my own at times. I try to make sure mine are more visible and show tools required and sometimes more details. Not that I think mine are better, just some people need a little more details and guidance. Besides that, I have no control over when someone may remove their video's leaving a hole in the system. More is sometimes better.

Thanks for the welcome. I will likely see you around.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Zorasmiles
After seeing your many posts about your "brother's issues" I was beginning to think you were a home mechanic looking for a quick repair of a customers newly inherited problems.
I guess this statement is partly true but the car does belong to my brother. Due to a terminal health issue with my wife, I had to quit my job to care for her full time. I do odd jobs to help keep the lights on, etc. I can only leave her a couple of hours per day. So I do a lot of different things to make a few bucks, within reason.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by RSpi
I guess this statement is partly true but the car does belong to my brother. Due to a terminal health issue with my wife, I had to quit my job to care for her full time. I do odd jobs to help keep the lights on, etc. I can only leave her a couple of hours per day. So I do a lot of different things to make a few bucks, within reason.
My hat off to you for being a stand up guy. Keeping you and your wife in my prayers. I'm sure once your brother gets that CAT back he'll truly understand the joy of driving such a wonderful machine. Any help that I can give you I will gladly offer up the knowledge. To hold knowledge without wanting to distribute it is one of the most selfish acts in my opinion. The Certified Techs on here are always glad to give up the knowledge and point you in the right direction.

Once again keep you and your wife in my prayers.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:05 AM

Thanks, I appreciate the prayers. They helped me get through the really rough part, when the doctor gave her 4 to 6 weeks to live over 4 years ago. Phew!!! Tough adjustment.

I was able to pull the rear door panel off without removing the rear seat and the latch lock actuator has something inside of it causing it to get jammed. I was able to break it loose but every time it locked it jammed again. I can hear and feel the motor in it operating but the plunger keeps getting stuck. I unhooked the plunger till I can find a replacement. ******* has them as part of the latch assembly for $485+ so I'm going to look for a used replacement.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,354 Likes on 928 Posts

That is a rather impressive list to work through before it is all functioning again.
Good luck with the car, and even more with the wife!

E.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:08 PM

Most of it is light weight stuff. This is what I have left:
  1. ABS light.
  2. Roof liner falling.
  3. May have an oil leak.
  4. Noise in front suspension, maybe end links.
  5. Third brake light loose from rear glass.
  6. May be past due spark plug replacement.
As for the wife, WKS sucks!

Old 02-01-2014, 05:34 PM
Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

we had the same door problem..

it was an acutator failure.

buy a used ford one and you will save big bucks..
i paid something like $30.00 for mine.