XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

New CCV, new purge valve, but still having problems filling tank

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 09:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New CCV, new purge valve, but still having problems filling tank

I have a 2000 XJ8L, with problems filling up gas tank. Pump shuts off far before tank is full, have to squeeze gas in $0.03 at a time to fully fill it.

I checked these forums for advice, and so I have now replaced the CCV (in front of gas tank) and the purge valve (top center engine-bay firewall), but the problem still happens.

Does anyone have any advice as to what else could be the problem? The only thing I can think of to do next is to replace all the rubber hoses in the fumes/vapor control system, but that'd be a lot of work.

Other info, probably unrelated: a few months ago, the fuel pump and the fuel filter were changed, as well.

Thanks for any ideas anyone's got...

Old 05-21-2017, 10:46 PM

Sorry, forgot to mention (this is my first forum post) -- I live in California, with "rebreather" gas pump nozzles (to cut down on fumes/smog), which cut off the flow to the tank faster than the old style nozzles. But still, I've never had this problem with any other car....

Old 05-22-2017, 01:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 474 Likes on 355 Posts

People often have trouble filling the tanks on X308's, the secret is not to put the filler nozzle in all the way. If you put it all the way in, then pull it back slightly you should find it easier to fill the tank.

A lot of people don't like having the filler on the top of the rear deck, but I think it makes it easier because you can go to any fuel pump and not have to worry about which side the filler is on, or stretching the hose around the car.

The following users liked this post:
CW2000XJ8L (05-23-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 06:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,801 Likes on 2,236 Posts

I had trouble filling the xj6 tank until I started putting the nozzle in from the opposite side. It's clumsy but it works.

The following users liked this post:
CW2000XJ8L (05-23-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 09:39 AM
Received 8,087 Likes on 4,877 Posts

SPIT BACK/PREMATURE SHUT-OFF
• Inspect the fuel tank, canister close valve (CCV), and vapor line for damage/restriction or
blockage. Check the fuel vapor pipe from the fuel tank (inside the luggage compartment) for
any signs of damage. Check under the vehicle where the pipe enters the primary carbon
canister, inspect the cross-over pipe from the primary carbon canister to the secondary
carbon canister, and the secondary/canister vent to the CCV, the CCV and pipe to
atmosphere for signs of damage.
• If no fault is found, substitute the carbon canisters and reassess. High-pressure drop across
the carbon canister(s) can be caused by internal damage or saturation of the carbon with
liquid fuel. Substitution will verify this fault.

• If all the above is OK, then determine whether the customer issue is apparent at the same
filling station/pump each time. If so, recommend using an alternative filling station/pump
and explain how a worn fuel dispenser nozzle can affect the fuel filling.
If the vacuum port on the fuel dispenser nozzle at the filling station pump is damaged or partially
blocked, causing a restriction, the fuel dispenser nozzle will shut off prematurely. If the
diaphragm inside the fuel dispenser nozzle is damaged/weak, this can also cause a premature
shut-off.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
310-10 fuel tank faults.pdf (61.6 KB, 96 views)
Old 05-23-2017, 12:30 AM

Thanks for all the help! I will not have a chance to take a look at it until the weekend, so I'll post back with any updates, but I'll try what you have suggested. Thanks for the technical note, too.

Is there an image of the whole system for a 2000 XJ8? I don't have the shop manual disk yet, and I'm not sure which one of the images I found online were for which model years (the purge valve was in the wrong place on the one I thought was right -- it was under the front wheel well instead of top-center on the firewall).

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. Are the charcoal canisters expensive? Or something I should maybe look for in a junkyard?

The gas station I use has almost brand-new pumps, so it's probably the car, not the nozzles.

Again, thanks for the help.

-CW

Originally Posted by motorcarman
• Inspect the fuel tank, canister close valve (CCV), and vapor line for damage/restriction or
blockage. Check the fuel vapor pipe from the fuel tank (inside the luggage compartment) for
any signs of damage. Check under the vehicle where the pipe enters the primary carbon
canister, inspect the cross-over pipe from the primary carbon canister to the secondary
carbon canister, and the secondary/canister vent to the CCV, the CCV and pipe to
• If no fault is found, substitute the carbon canisters and reassess. High-pressure drop across
the carbon canister(s) can be caused by internal damage or saturation of the carbon with

• If all the above is OK, then determine whether the customer issue is apparent at the same
filling station/pump each time. If so, recommend using an alternative filling station/pump
If the vacuum port on the fuel dispenser nozzle at the filling station pump is damaged or partially
blocked, causing a restriction, the fuel dispenser nozzle will shut off prematurely. If the
diaphragm inside the fuel dispenser nozzle is damaged/weak, this can also cause a premature
shut-off.

Old 05-30-2017, 01:12 AM

MotorCarMan (or anyone else...) -

OK, took a look at the top vent tube (inside the fuel flap on top of car), and it was gunked up. Removed the tube from it, and cleaned it out.

But it still had the same problems when filling up. For the other suggestions offered: tried filling it upside down, pulling it out slightly, etc., but none of it worked -- would still click the shutoff on the nozzle within a few seconds.

Did not have time to jack car up and look underneath it this weekend, will do that next weekend.

Does anyone have the model year 2000 diagram for this system? What I've been looking at: http://matt.zenfolio.com/img/v5/p1023258017-4.jpg

This is not the correct year (purge valve is wrong), but I figured it was close enough. But I'd love to get the correct graphic if possible.

What I'm thinking now: during one fillup, kind of overfilled it, leading to gas in the rubber grommet surrounding the fillup tube. This probably leaked down the vent tube (the one I cleared this weekend). So is it a problem of liquid fuel inside the carbon canister on the driver's side? I will attempt pulling this out, inspecting it, trying to dry it out, and (last resort) buying a new one (how much are they?).

ANY ideas or advice would be appreciated. This is bugging me, but it doesn't seem to rise to the level of taking it in to the dealer -- an hour away and very expensive... so any ideas would be welcome. Thanks in advance!

:-(

============

Originally Posted by motorcarman

shut-off.