XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

New guy, maybe new project

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2022 | 02:36 PM

100% agree, if it's not a rust bucket and runs/drives well enough offer him $2500 and take it home. You could part it out for more most likely...Heck, I'd buy those wheels from you for decent money and the motor/trans has to be worth something.

Old 06-24-2022 | 02:54 PM
Veteran Member

Assuming the vin number you were given is correct, either there was a vin change on that car, the DMV messed up (which I highly doubt) on the color or the website you looked up for the vin options is wrong. I would see if the door jamb sticker and the dashboard vins match up first.

The following users liked this post:
87LC2 (06-24-2022)
Old 06-24-2022 | 06:14 PM

So this is interesting. Found this car being parted out on FB and while it does have black carpet and dark wood, it also has regular XJ seats: (Can't get the ad to post properly but take my word for it If you feel like searching its a White 98 XJR in NY for parts).

Possible they were switched also, but first time (first two times actually) I've seen an XJR with non-XJR seats so could be possible?

I was looking at the FB ad for the green car a bit more and I think it could possibly turn out to be a good car, probably a way better deal than I just got on my ugly chrome-wheeled 98. No way it was color changed and they painted underhood like that. I mean I guess its possible but not likely at all. Really interested to see what you find, I'll be kicking myself for not going to check it out if it ends up being a decent car Hoping for the best.

Last edited by 87LC2; 06-24-2022 at 06:17 PM.
Old 06-25-2022 | 08:30 AM
|

I saw that white 98 too, which gave me a small reassurance. I've never been in a Jag, so I didn't notice the seats until someone pointed them out here, but the important thing is they're Jag seats, appear to be out of an XJ8, so they fit and hopefully they work with the power features and heaters if equipped.

The VIN check I ran that gave me the color was here in thius website, I just clicked on it and it ran it for me...its entirely possible it in error in the decoder or in how I'm reading it. I ran one of my other vehicles and the exterior color it returned showed me ALL of the possible exterior colors.

100% planning on matching the VIN on the dash, title and door.

87LC2, that XJR you bought is gorgeous! I get you're nbot crazy about the chrome, but man that is a REALLY nice car. Get some wheels and those jack point covers and you're golden for years to come.

Old 06-25-2022 | 01:25 PM
|

Do all valve covers say "JAGUAR" on them?

Old 06-25-2022 | 02:36 PM
Veteran Member

No. Primarily the D/S ignition coil cover does say ‘Jaguar’ on it if it’s a supercharged engine. Over time the heat can affect them and the ‘J’ is typically the first letter to go since it’s towards the front where the fan is most likely to blow on it.

Old 06-25-2022 | 03:40 PM
Veteran Member

Everything noted is completely fixable! If the car drives well and the obd codes
can be retrieved, I would be very interested.

Old 06-26-2022 | 11:36 AM
|

Well that was disappointing. Seller stopped responding yesterday when I asked for his address. Took a chance and rented the trailer anyway, few more messages to both text and facebook and started driving that way this morning. Gave him until 9am before I called the number he provided which didn't even ring, just went straight to voicemail. Left a message that I was enroute but since he didn't provide an address I had to turn around but that I was still interested and if he reached out to me in the next could hours we could still do this today. A minute later I was blocked from his facebook, the ad disappeared and I figured he maybe sold it, but then I checked on my wife's account and the ad is still up, so he decided to block me for some reason. No clue what I did apart from ask a few questions, express that I was a very interested buyer and that I'd like his address so I could come check out the car.

Oh well, probably wil never know. Might have been the smokin' deal of the decade, might have been a complete basket case. Seller seemed a bit cagey about answering my questions so maybe something was up or maybe he's just that kind of guy. Meh, on to the next one.

So haw are XJR trannies when they start slipping? Toast and find a new trans?

What about "reduced performance" mode?

I can't help myself.

Old 06-26-2022 | 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by mayhem
Well that was disappointing. Seller stopped responding yesterday when I asked for his address. Took a chance and rented the trailer anyway, few more messages to both text and facebook and started driving that way this morning. Gave him until 9am before I called the number he provided which didn't even ring, just went straight to voicemail. Left a message that I was enroute but since he didn't provide an address I had to turn around but that I was still interested and if he reached out to me in the next could hours we could still do this today. A minute later I was blocked from his facebook, the ad disappeared and I figured he maybe sold it, but then I checked on my wife's account and the ad is still up, so he decided to block me for some reason. No clue what I did apart from ask a few questions, express that I was a very interested buyer and that I'd like his address so I could come check out the car.

Oh well, probably wil never know. Might have been the smokin' deal of the decade, might have been a complete basket case. Seller seemed a bit cagey about answering my questions so maybe something was up or maybe he's just that kind of guy. Meh, on to the next one.

So haw are XJR trannies when they start slipping? Toast and find a new trans?

What about "reduced performance" mode?

I can't help myself.
Geez...some people. No wonder he's has it for sale so long. It's either junk or he's just a jerk. Sorry to hear about the wasted time, that's even worse than showing up to a basket case...Really weird that he just blocked you like that, makes no sense. Then again people are generally weird and rude these days.

Eye on another one???? Never had trans issues with any of mine so can't help much, but I have read a lot of time what seems like a trans issue could be something else. I'll let others with more knowledge chime in. I think rebuilds get pricey on the MB trans so if buying a car like that make sure you get a great deal.

That green 2000 in Jersey is still for sale and he dropped the price again. Have a feeling he wants it gone. If you still have that trailer head out that way and take a look.

Old 06-26-2022 | 01:03 PM
|

I saw the green 2000 in NJ, but its out of my cash budget at the moment so I won't get to scratch the itch for a monowiper car this weekend. Might run into another one that meets the criteria, might wait and add to the car fund. I'll probably lurk and ask a bunch of questions for now and do my best to educate myself. Trailer is due back this evening so I'm just going to bring it back now before I buy something I'll regret just to use it.

Saw an 02 in NY for $5 grand, seller says the trans started to slip so he stopped driving it.

I see a regualr 03 XJ8 too, trans is good when cold, "sluggish" when warmed up. Dunno what that indicates.

Something you may be interested in though, a set of non chromed 5 spoke OEM wheels with what looks like good tires. Might help to dechrome your 98 like you want.

Facebook Post

Doesn't seem to be letting me post a FB link, search for XJR wheels in Oakdale, CT.

Old 06-26-2022 | 02:24 PM

I've been talking to that guy in CT about the wheels, just a hike for me. He also has a set of BBS wheels from an R1, waiting for him to send pics. I'll find something...My new tires showed up so if I don't find something decent within the next couple of weeks I'll have to just put them on the chrome wheels, tires are from 2005 and don't want to drive on them much.

I saw that one with the trans, that car looks rough. Wood is all cracked in the interior and definitley looks like a rusty car.

I've never owned a regular XJ8, but the trans is not nearly as good as the MB in the R. They have a ZF trans that is known for issues (A Drum I believe). It's up to you, but I wouldn't bother with an XJ8. Not only is the trans way better in the R but it has adequate power. Never driven a regular XJ, but I'd imagine it'd be quite slow. The R really isn't even that fast so I'd imagine an XJ8 being pretty disappointing in the power department. That is if you even care about that sort of thing.

Old 06-26-2022 | 03:11 PM
Veteran Member

87LC2, if you could pull the secondary fuel pump relay in your car and jump it to see if it turns on, it’s possible that pump is no good and making your car slow?

Old 06-26-2022 | 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Addicted2boost
87LC2, if you could pull the secondary fuel pump relay in your car and jump it to see if it turns on, it’s possible that pump is no good and making your car slow?
Both pumps are working fine. Car feels just like my 03 XJR did. Don't get me wrong they pull pretty hard, but nothing mind blowing. Was just making the point that for a fun car they're OK, but an XJ8 would probably be no fun at all. I'm also comparing to my 87 GN which is an animal. The power delivery in the R is nice and smooth and you can feel it coming, with the GN one wrong move and it will bite your head off

Old 06-26-2022 | 08:31 PM
|

Reading up here, it seems the XJR is just plain more reliable than the XJ8...reason enough to lean that way for me. The performance certainly, but I don't have a modified GN to compare it to...a 280hp sedan would be decently quick in my book, 370hp definitely more than adequate...plus just look at the thing! Its like a 7/8ths scale Bentley.

I really like that green one in Jersey, its a bit rough looking under the hood though and the seller says it needs an upstream O2 sensor. Very tempting, but this is just a treat for me, got other things to worry about too, so probably not yet.

Old 06-27-2022 | 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by mayhem
Reading up here, it seems the XJR is just plain more reliable than the XJ8...reason enough to lean that way for me. The performance certainly, but I don't have a modified GN to compare it to...a 280hp sedan would be decently quick in my book, 370hp definitely more than adequate...plus just look at the thing! Its like a 7/8ths scale Bentley.

I really like that green one in Jersey, its a bit rough looking under the hood though and the seller says it needs an upstream O2 sensor. Very tempting, but this is just a treat for me, got other things to worry about too, so probably not yet.
The other thing to remember is that these are heavy cars. The R is definitley the way to go, especially since they don't command a huge premium in price over the XJ8 in most cases. If they were thousands more for a comparable car it would be a different story but they're generally comparable.

That green one needs some work, but doesn't look too bad. I was just suggesting to look at it since it seems he wants to move it and keeps lowering the price so who knows how little he'll take. Never know until you show up with cash.

Old 06-27-2022 | 10:40 AM
Veteran Member

I have seen some R’s that were not so good in producing power, and I have seen XJ8’s that were fantastic.
The real issue is how it drives for YOUR needs. If a driver desires head turning power, the the chances are
he wishes to display said power upon occasion. Whether he NEEDS that power is not an issue in his daily
usage. That said, these refined and elegant cars generally provide all the power a driver would find useful
in most driving situations. If an individual was of the mind set of “spin tires..go fast” all the time, then it would
certainly behoove him to seek a much lighter, and easily modified vehicle.

Old 06-28-2022 | 07:34 AM
|

So I've decided to chase down the green 2000 XJR in NJ and see if my luck changes. I've reached out to the seller and asked for the VIN to start and will go from there. Pics here if anyone sees anything super red flaggy. Interior and experior look VERY clean to my eye, engine bay needs some work to tidy it up, maybe replace some gaskets like the one on the passenger side by the shock tower.

Deller discloses in the ad that its got good rubber, recent oil change, needs an upstream o2 sensor which is throwing a MIL. The process to change them doesn't look too bad so I'm not too bothered by that. Prior buyer backed out, always a question mark for why...could be his wife told him no (I asked in advance, lol) or maybe he found something he didn't like.

Was going to ask if he has any service records, is there rust, has it had a tming service and water pump done...what else? I think I saw in another thread that the bushings at the top of the front shock tower might be OEM, which could mean a significant front end service in my future...true or not so likely? Any other thoughts?

LOVE those wheels on the X308 body. Possibly one of the most attractive Jags built in the last 40 years in my opinion.

Last edited by mayhem; 06-28-2022 at 07:50 AM.
Old 06-28-2022 | 09:03 AM

Most important question with that car, being a 2000, is were the secondary chain tensioners replaced? Not hard to do, but nice if they're already done. With that mileage you can probably expect some suspension work to need doing. Front is easy, rear not as much fun but parts are readily available. Does not have the CATs suspension which is nice for service, I had to replace the CATs dampers on my old 03 and it cost a fortune...regular shocks are not as pricey.

Overall car looks decent except for the driver seat, that will definitley need to be redone. O2 sensors are not a huge deal, but I'd get it as cheap as you can. I can guarantee you there are not people knocking down his door to buy a Jag that needs mechanical work. For reference, I paid $3500 for my 2003 R1 with the same exact mileage in 2020 in about the same condition. I know the market is a bit different these days, but I don't think that car is worth much more than $4500 as-is. I'd offer $4k and go from there.

Does look great in green with those wheels, fantastic looking car that will be really nice with just a bit of work.

Old 06-28-2022 | 11:19 AM
Veteran Member

Yes sir, if the tensioners have not been changed, then be careful. Leather seats, can be a challenge but those have no piping,
so it may not be sooo expensive. I would definitely take a look for cleared codes, but that goes without saying. It looks as though
the paint is good, but it is hard to tell in those pictures. The main thing is that it does not look as though it will cost an exorbitant
amount to get her to "top shelf".

Old 06-29-2022 | 07:41 AM
|

Made an appt to go check out the car Saturday am. Going with a trailer and hoping it checks out and we can make a deal.

The history did show a flood damage incident in 2009 that resulted in an insurance total and salvage title issued. Talked to a friend at NY DMV Vehicle Investgations and he ran the VIN for me, his advice was that happened so long ago and so many miles ago and the car did have to go through recertifications to get back on the road, that I should feel good enough about the repairs to treat it like any other used car. Its been long enough since the incident that the car now has a clean title, which requires 8 years of registration and operation. In the interior photo I noticed after awhile that the shift knob and wheel are a different wood than the dash and doors. Guessing it was a gutted interior and the parts car maybe didn't have a good shifter and wheel, no way to know for sure. I think its worth the effort to look and try to make a deal.

Quick Reply: New guy, maybe new project