XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

New guy, maybe new project

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2022 | 09:08 AM
Veteran Member

I had noticed the discrepancies as well. I love the light colored wood. It reminds me of the S-Types that have that same color but the steering wheel and shift knob also match the dash and doors in those cars. Unless they had a special order for these X308 cars, somebody did some serious reworking on the wood trim. I hope it works out for you and the seller.

Old 06-29-2022 | 10:08 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, I like that lighter wood myself. I had some Burled Walnut in a Mark X I used to have that
was very close to that color. I wish I still had that car, The electrical was a bit wonky but it drove
like a dream and had a very unique appearance.

Old 06-29-2022 | 11:01 AM

Do you mean the 2000 in Jersey has a salvage/rebuilt flood title? Even if the car is fine (probably is at this point) that seriously devalues the car and it's not worth much. I'd say $3k at the absolute most. You'll have major issues selling that car in the future.

Not trying to be negative, but rule of thumb for a salvage/rebuilt title is 50-60% of retail and most people stick to that. Just keep that in mind when negotiating. I was wondering why that car hadn't sold yet...

Old 06-29-2022 | 11:37 AM
|

Originally Posted by Addicted2boost
I had noticed the discrepancies as well. I love the light colored wood. .
I like the light wood too, its different than most other cars.

Originally Posted by 87LC2
Do you mean the 2000 in Jersey has a salvage/rebuilt flood title?

Yep. The car is actually an early 2001 model year, build date 9/2000 if I recall. I talked to the seller and he seems like he might be a reasonable guy, so we'll see where this goes and what I decide I'm willing to pay...but at the same time I also realize the market we're currently in and the fact these cars are going for about the same price as a 2005 Accord with 150k miles. 3 grand seems unlikely to me, but we'll see how this goes...its a used car so I'm planning on losing money over time like any other car. Unfortunately comps I'm seeing (presumably without salvage title history) are asking in the 9-10k range, which doesn't help.

Just curious, how long have you seen it listed? All the ads I see are about a week old but I know he had it listed and sold before.

Earlier you mentioned secondary timing chain guides...I assume I'll know if they're on their way out if I can hear the chain/valves on cold startup, but is there a visual inspection I can perform? I assume its valve covers off or timing cover off, which obviously I can't do there.

Old 06-30-2022 | 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by mayhem
I like the light wood too, its different than most other cars.

Yep. The car is actually an early 2001 model year, build date 9/2000 if I recall. I talked to the seller and he seems like he might be a reasonable guy, so we'll see where this goes and what I decide I'm willing to pay...but at the same time I also realize the market we're currently in and the fact these cars are going for about the same price as a 2005 Accord with 150k miles. 3 grand seems unlikely to me, but we'll see how this goes...its a used car so I'm planning on losing money over time like any other car. Unfortunately comps I'm seeing (presumably without salvage title history) are asking in the 9-10k range, which doesn't help.

Just curious, how long have you seen it listed? All the ads I see are about a week old but I know he had it listed and sold before.

Earlier you mentioned secondary timing chain guides...I assume I'll know if they're on their way out if I can hear the chain/valves on cold startup, but is there a visual inspection I can perform? I assume its valve covers off or timing cover off, which obviously I can't do there.
This one has been for sale for at least a month, maybe a bit longer. I also seem to recall it being for sale a few months ago by another seller and then being relisted by this seller, so possible its changed hands twice in a very short time period. Not really a cause for alarm, but sometimes it could be? Although the car I just bought will be for sale shortly and there's nothing wrong with it, so take it for what's its worth.

Unfortunately the upper tensioners failing do not always make noise when failing so I would do them right away. Mine is actually parked for now until I get time to do them. You will need to get the valve cover off to inspect the tensioners, no way around that. No need to remove the timing cover, just the valve cover. If the seller is not sure if they've been done then just assume they haven't been and take a cover off when you get home. Not hard to remove so that's good news. Parts to replace the uppers are cheap as well.

As far as value, I guess these cars have gone up in value a little bit but as long as you get a good deal you're comfortable with go for it. If you're the type that doesn't hang on to cars for long and like to recoup your investment get it as cheap as possible. These cars are not easy to sell and can sit for quite a while until you find a buyer. If you're treating it as just a cheap used car and don't mind losing on it then no worries, just have fun with it.

Best of luck, hope its a good car and it works out for you.

Old 06-30-2022 | 11:21 AM
|

The seller says he bought it a couple months ago, so that probably explains it. Current ad says his recent buyer bailed on him, so he relisted it...no way to know why...could be the title history, could be he didn't ask his wife or he found a serious problem that I might find as well. He said he buys and sells used cars, I guess as a side gig.

Noted on the upper tensioners, thank you. I'll search the forums for how to's and whatnot...where do people like to buy there parts for these cars? As with many other cars, I'm sure some replacement parts are probably best with paying for OEM, while others are ok if you go 3rd party...sometimes the trick is learning where that line is. I know its going to need at least one O2 sensor, upper tensioners...maybe other stuff, best to be prepared and know where to shop for the right stuff.

Yeah, values seem to be creeping, so maybe this will end up being a minor investment. I think i read there were 1500/year imported to the US, so roughly 9000 X308 XJRs ever in the US...by now probably 1/3 of those have been wrecked, so its getting to be a modern classic in the making...maybe...maybe wishful thinking. I plan on going with asking price in hand and a trailer and see where I end up. If its a real gem and everything checks out with no funny business, I might go as high as asking...but I plan on trying to beat him up on things like the title history, future resale value, timing service, etc and see how negotiable he's willing to be. Seems a pretty reasonable guy so far, but we'll see. Might be a rotted out junker with tape all over the place underneath...I'll find that out when I roll it up on my trailer and slide underneath...scan tool will tell me a lot too, like the last time CEL was reset, active and pending codes, permanently stored codes, ABS issues, airbag issues, might or might not scan trans codes, I've never used it on a Jag so I guess I'll find out.

I typically keep my cars for longer durations...often I'm the last owner, or second to last and I sell a car in the hundreds, not thousands. I've never inspected a Jag or even ridden in one before so this is an experience I'm savoring at the moment...I think based on what I've read and seen in review videos and such that I'll really like an XJR, but I'll know within a few minutes of getting in and driving down the street if its something I really want, or if this is the last Jag I'll look at and walk away from it.

Selling your car? Sorry to hear that, just not the right one for you? I'll swing by with my trailer and forget the green car if you're willing to take a massive loss on it!

I appreciate all the advice here, really do.

Old 06-30-2022 | 11:44 AM

Good to hear that you keep them for a while, then what you pay doesn't matter as much. All that matters that's its in good shape and you like it. Definitely the same car then if he bought it a couple months ago. I remember seeing it for sale but don't remember too much about it. I didn't realize there were so few imported to the US, that's a pretty cool fact. They're definitely becoming much less common, I can't tell you the last time I saw an XJR (or even an XJ) on the road. It's a shame as I think a lot of them probably get scrapped for minor repairs that shops charge a fortune for but in reality aren't that bad if doing the work yourself.

As far as parts I'm sure others can give you better recommendations, but at least for the timing components https://christophersforeigncarparts.com/ has decent prices. If you want to get stuff really cheap I've seen Ford/Jag tensioners on Ebay for very little money, but no idea on quality. I buy a lot on RockAuto as well, they have a decent amount of stuff available for these cars.

Old 06-30-2022 | 01:10 PM
Veteran Member

Good to hear that you keep them for a while, then what you pay doesn't matter as much. All that matters that's its in good shape and you like it. Definitely the same car then if he bought it a couple months ago. I remember seeing it for sale but don't remember too much about it. I didn't realize there were so few imported to the US, that's a pretty cool fact. They're definitely becoming much less common, I can't tell you the last time I saw an XJR (or even an XJ) on the road. It's a shame as I think a lot of them probably get scrapped for minor repairs that shops charge a fortune for but in reality aren't that bad if doing the work yourself.

As far as parts I'm sure others can give you better recommendations, but at least for the timing components https://christophersforeigncarparts.com/ has decent prices. If you want to get stuff really cheap I've seen Ford/Jag tensioners on Ebay for very little money, but no idea on quality. I buy a lot on RockAuto as well, they have a decent amount of stuff available for these cars.
It is true that there seems to be less and less of these exquisite automobiles on the road. Also, it is most likely
the cost of repairs that cause their demise. I suspect our forum companions are the last of the breed who still
research a given problem, examine the alternatives and then go about the business of correcting the fault. It is
unfortunate that the parts manufacturers seem to feel a surcharge is needed, just because it bears the Jaguar
name, however, it is fortunate we have such determination within our forum to point to alternatives that work.

The following users liked this post:
87LC2 (06-30-2022)
Old 06-30-2022 | 01:35 PM
|

Originally Posted by RandyS
It is true that there seems to be less and less of these exquisite automobiles on the road. Also, it is most likely
the cost of repairs that cause their demise. I suspect our forum companions are the last of the breed who still
research a given problem, examine the alternatives and then go about the business of correcting the fault. It is
unfortunate that the parts manufacturers seem to feel a surcharge is needed, just because it bears the Jaguar
name, however, it is fortunate we have such determination within our forum to point to alternatives that work.
First thing I usually do with a new car is find the online forums for it and pick a couple to troll. Thats where the experts are and for any issue I might come across you can guarantee that its been corrected by someone else.

87LC2 (06-30-2022)
Old 06-30-2022 | 01:59 PM

First thing I usually do with a new car is find the online forums for it and pick a couple to troll. Thats where the experts are and for any issue I might come across you can guarantee that its been corrected by someone else.
Yes, exactly. There are some very knowledgeable and helpful people on this forum and it's nice that places like this exist for enthusiasts like us.

Old 07-02-2022 | 10:08 AM
|

A bit of back and forth and a few more specific questions and the seller and I have reached a deal at $5200, pending my inspection. We'll schedule a meet after the holiday weekend and I'll go check it out, armed with a bright light, some knowledge, my scan tool and a trailer to bring it home if all is well. If the car is actually as nice in person as it photographs and I find no evidence of significant corrosion issues, I think this might my "right " car. Absolutely LOVE the color combo, willing to live with the title history since it was so far in the past and honestly, it just POPPED off the screen at me...the guy knows how to take some good photos of a car for sale and has the presence of mind to clean it inside and out before doing so.

So, we'll see what the week brings, fingers crossed its what I want...if not, then I won't take it home and keep my eyes open for another. At the end of the day, from my point of view at least, I'm buying a relatively inexpensive used car...I can get something amazing and unusual like this, or I can buy an 06 Kia with 160k on it...at that mileage its even money which will be more reliable and especially livable. Also, I have a spare vehicle I can drive in bad weather or when the Jag is down for repairs so this is likely the best time to roll the dice.

Thanks all! Wish me luck!

The following 2 users liked this post by mayhem:
87LC2 (07-02-2022), Ken Cantor (07-02-2022)
Old 07-07-2022 | 02:11 PM

That guy in MA ever get back to you? I was poking around today and noticed he dropped the price to $2500...Have never seen a running/driving XJR that cheap. There has to be something wrong with it, or he's just a nut and nobody has even gotten as far as looking at it. Wish it were closer to me, I'd go take a look.

Old 07-07-2022 | 02:26 PM
|

That guy in MA ever get back to you? I was poking around today and noticed he dropped the price to $2500...Have never seen a running/driving XJR that cheap. There has to be something wrong with it, or he's just a nut and nobody has even gotten as far as looking at it. Wish it were closer to me, I'd go take a look.
Nope, guy's rigged for silent running. Never answered my texts and blocked me on facebook, so clearly didn't want to sell the car to me.

Still trying to make the Jersey car work out. Seller has to get the title in his name, yesterday he just couldn't get to DMV, today he had an appointment to go but tested positive for Covid...so maybe in a week I can go check it out. Getting a bit frustrating but its not too big of a deal...if it doesn't work out by next weekend I'll drop my interest.

Decent black/black 03 in Maryland...it was $4800, seller had someone when I asked for the VIN, then the buyer backed out and now its $5800. Less interested.

Something will come along, I can wait...but I really want to check one out in person at some point!

Old 07-07-2022 | 02:57 PM

Nope, guy's rigged for silent running. Never answered my texts and blocked me on facebook, so clearly didn't want to sell the car to me.

Still trying to make the Jersey car work out. Seller has to get the title in his name, yesterday he just couldn't get to DMV, today he had an appointment to go but tested positive for Covid...so maybe in a week I can go check it out. Getting a bit frustrating but its not too big of a deal...if it doesn't work out by next weekend I'll drop my interest.

Decent black/black 03 in Maryland...it was $4800, seller had someone when I asked for the VIN, then the buyer backed out and now its $5800. Less interested.

Something will come along, I can wait...but I really want to check one out in person at some point!
Yea, I saw that one in MD as well. Looks a bit rough for $5800, I think he was on the mark under $5k before he raised it...If I see anything else come up I'll let you know.

Old 07-08-2022 | 06:29 AM
|

Yea, I saw that one in MD as well. Looks a bit rough for $5800, I think he was on the mark under $5k before he raised it...If I see anything else come up I'll let you know.
Thank you sir, much appreciated. I have time, not in a rush but I want my new toy now!!!!

You ought to reach out and contact the guy in MA and just ask him why he bailed on me. I'm really curious.

Old 07-08-2022 | 06:45 AM

Thank you sir, much appreciated. I have time, not in a rush but I want my new toy now!!!!

You ought to reach out and contact the guy in MA and just ask him why he bailed on me. I'm really curious.
Maybe I'll do that, it is quite rude. I understand what you mean about not wanting to wait. I was casually looking when I bought mine and said to myself to only buy a late run car (02-03) and of course ended up with the earliest production 98 I could find, haha.

mayhem (07-08-2022)
Old 07-13-2022 | 12:30 PM
|

Whole lotta back and forth, the green 01 in Jersey is still in play. Was all set to go down with a trailer and I asked if the title was in his name or not, he said ne he never registered it, figured he'd save the next owner a +1 on the number of owners of record. Being in NY I need a bill of sale and transaction statement signed by the same person signing the title so he needs to get the title in his name before I'll even go down to look at it. A family emergency and a bout of Covid on his part as well as a few calls to NJ DMV and even though he currently has a clean NJ title in his hand, they're telling him they will issue a rebuilt title when he goes to get it.

So I dropped my max offer from $5200 down to $4000 since I'll have to deal with it if/when I go to sell it after I've enjoyed it for however long. He will think about it and let me know tongiht. So still might work out, he's probably got no good alternatives and this is just a moderately expensive learning experience for him. I think its probably a nice car and all, but I'm not going to pay for his lack of due diligence. At $4000 I'm probably a bit high...max car value according to an average between KBB and NADA is around $6000, it has a couple issues that I'm ok addressing myself and I knocked my offer down by about 25% so while I still have an exposure, I'm comfortable with it.

We'll see what we shall see.

87LC2 (07-13-2022)
Old 07-13-2022 | 01:27 PM

You need a bill of sale in NY for an out of state title? Here in PA for anything out of state we just need a signed title, no mileage, price, etc. Needless to say I like buying out of state cars in PA.

I think you're on track with the $4k number having a rebuilt title and all. A car like that with a dirty title will likely be unsellable so just run it until its dead. I had a little more memory come back from the last guy that listed that car and I remember the paint turning me off for some reason. Might be a reason all of the photos are in the shade...Or than could have been another car but who knows. Haven't seen too many BRG 2000+ XJRs for sale lately so that's probably the one. If he bought that thing to make a buck he's definitely going to learn a lesson. Cars with dirty titles must be bought for scrap value in order to turn a profit.

Haven't seen any other decent options pop up lately but if I do I'll be sure to post for you.

mayhem (07-13-2022)
Old 07-13-2022 | 02:03 PM
|

Yup. NY DMV's website says bill of sale required in addition to signed title...doesn't matter out of state or not.

MD car has dropped his price to $4500. Too far I think, 4 hr one way drive.

Might just not be an XJR in my immediate future...not a big deal if tis not, just figured its a good time scratch "owned a Jag" off the list.

Old 07-13-2022 | 02:07 PM

Yup. NY DMV's website says bill of sale required in addition to signed title...doesn't matter out of state or not.

MD car has dropped his price to $4500. Too far I think, 4 hr one way drive.

Might just not be an XJR in my immediate future...not a big deal if tis not, just figured its a good time scratch "owned a Jag" off the list.
How soon do you need a car? If I could give some advice that I never heed myself just wait a bit...Out of nowhere a good one will come up for sale for a good price and that will be it. I've been looking at these ever since I bought my first one a few years back and there are great deals out there. They don't pop up as often because they are not very common vehicles, but at least 1-2 times a month good ones come up for sale in a given area.

Shame about that 98 in MA. He's still at $2500, at that price who cares what's wrong with it, right?

Quick Reply: New guy, maybe new project