XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

New Jag XJR owner. Questions about the doors.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 10:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Jag XJR owner. Questions about the doors.

Hello all,

I bought my first Jaguar about 4 months ago and have been following the forum since. Decided to finally join.

I have a question regarding the doors that baffled me. When I bought my 1999 XJR with the Harmon-Kardon sound system it had about 113,000 miles on it. The front speakers and tweeters were blown so, being a big sound guy, I replaced them. The installer I used was impressed with the car, however he pointed out an issue he saw with the front doors.

He found that the driver side door had a tweeter behind the door handle, but no speaker grill. The passenger door did not have a tweeter at all. He told me it looked as if someone had replaced one the doors with a different one. I knew the rear doors had tweeters in them but that didn't explain why the front doors would have them.

The car does not have a salvage title. I am very good friends with the previous owner who informed me it was never in a wreck. I also know he took very good care of the car as well. He was the second owner.

My question is if anyone else has noticed this or could an explanation? This confused my speaker installer and myself.

Thank you!

VIN # SAJPD1849XC873904

Old 04-03-2014, 12:57 PM
luc
Received 195 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenHorn
Hello all,

I bought my first Jaguar about 4 months ago and have been following the forum since. Decided to finally join.

I have a question regarding the doors that baffled me. When I bought my 1999 XJR with the Harmon-Kardon sound system it had about 113,000 miles on it. The front speakers and tweeters were blown so, being a big sound guy, I replaced them. The installer I used was impressed with the car, however he pointed out an issue he saw with the front doors.

He found that the driver side door had a tweeter behind the door handle, but no speaker grill. The passenger door did not have a tweeter at all. He told me it looked as if someone had replaced one the doors with a different one. I knew the rear doors had tweeters in them but that didn't explain why the front doors would have them.

The car does not have a salvage title. I am very good friends with the previous owner who informed me it was never in a wreck. I also know he took very good care of the car as well. He was the second owner.

My question is if anyone else has noticed this or could an explanation? This confused my speaker installer and myself.

Thank you!

VIN # SAJPD1849XC873904
The regular system use tweeters in the front door, therefore the black plastic cup behind the handle has holes (the speaker grill) in it.
The premium system (as yours) moved the tweeters from the front doors the the A pillars and therefore the cup do not have holes/grill.
Could be as simple than someone making a mistake on the assembly line.
i bet you that your front door tweeter is not connected

The following users liked this post:
GreenHorn (04-10-2014)
Old 04-03-2014, 01:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That does explain the, what looks like, black caps behind the handles in the front. I didn't know the two sound systems had different speaker locations like that. The guy who installed the aftermarket speakers did say how the tweeter was not connected to anything.

Thank you for informing me, I was beginning to worry that the car was in some sort of prior accident that I didn't know about. I appreciate the help!