XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

New to Jaguar

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 09:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool New to Jaguar

Hey guys,

I have recently traded my BMW 525i for a 2000 Jaguar XJ8.I did most of my own work for the BMW. The first thing I got was a Bently repair manual. It was extremly helpfull. I have done some searching and have found a Jaguar repair manual on ebay for 24.95. Is this manual a good resource. if not can someone recommend a good repair manual. If anyone has a BMW 2002 525i I have a manual for them if needed. Also, I need to replace my themostat. It has been recommended to me to replace the plastic housing with the Aluminum version. Do you guys know if I all so need the housing cover and housing cap. Or does the aluminum kit come with this. If any one can advise, I would be in your debt. Thanks.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:17 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,214 Likes on 1,703 Posts

Hello and welcome to jaguarforums.com. I know that you are anxious to get started and we are anxious to meet you and talk about your car. We have a baseline / criteria that must be met before full access can be granted. Please enjoy the forum and be patient once the baseline has been satisfied full access will be granted. Please continue to post and accept my welcome to the forum.

Oh one other thing you need to put your car details in your signature. I am speaking of the Year, Make & Model. Without it you may not get the input you are looking for.

Please take a moment and read the information provided to you explaining the rules. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/new-member-area-intro-must-5/ Be patient and enjoy the site.

As for your question I would suggest contacting the supplier and see what they say.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,112 Likes on 933 Posts

While there may be printed manuals, the official Jaguar service and repair manual, including the electrical schematics is the Jaguar Technical Information System (JTIS). It is available as a free download here:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=9933

It can also be found on eBay as a CD all the time for $10 or less. Don't fall for all the hype about a 'complete' version for $29.95 or higher.

Many complain that it is difficult to use but I discovered long ago that reading the instructions unlocks a magical lock that makes everything available. ALLDATA also has a subscription service based on JTIS but with more intuitive access for about $30 per year.

My aluminum housing came with the thermostat, the 'O' ring and the screw on cap but as GUS says, check with your vendor. Consider painting it black as the bright aluminum looks a little out of place in the center of an otherwise black engine.

You will have to put up with the 3 day, 10 post restrictions of the forum. It makes you and I safer from trolls, hackers and spam.

. . . and welcome to the wonderful world of Jaguars!

Old 02-26-2011, 10:12 PM
Rae
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Big Daddy: Welsh Enterprises has an aluminum thermostat kit. Also, do a thread search for replacing thermostat. The rear nut/bolt can be tricky but possible with some ingenuity. Good luck & Welcome to the forum.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool New to Jaguar

Thanks Test point i appreciate the advice. Would like to try and download the Jaguar manuals. Thaks for the help

Originally Posted by test point
While there may be printed manuals, the official Jaguar service and repair manual, including the electrical schematics is the Jaguar Technical Information System (JTIS). It is available as a free download here:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=9933

It can also be found on eBay as a CD all the time for $10 or less. Don't fall for all the hype about a 'complete' version for $29.95 or higher.

Many complain that it is difficult to use but I discovered long ago that reading the instructions unlocks a magical lock that makes everything available. ALLDATA also has a subscription service based on JTIS but with more intuitive access for about $30 per year.

My aluminum housing came with the thermostat, the 'O' ring and the screw on cap but as GUS says, check with your vendor. Consider painting it black as the bright aluminum looks a little out of place in the center of an otherwise black engine.

You will have to put up with the 3 day, 10 post restrictions of the forum. It makes you and I safer from trolls, hackers and spam.

. . . and welcome to the wonderful world of Jaguars!

Old 03-04-2011, 10:34 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Welcome Big Daddy!

Good to see some newbies..

Make sure you go through the checklist for that year Jaguar, it can be found on this board..

Best Of Luck!